HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

VIA 57 WEST in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Cool CHICAGO | Marquee at Block 37 | 400 FT | 38 FLOORS

This was mentioned in the highrise thread: Resurrected project.
------------------------------------------------------------

25 W. Randolph (Block 37):

Quote:
Back in March, reports indicated that after years of financial troubles and delays, an apartment and hotel tower for the downtown Block 37 shopping mall development would finally be moving forward. Just a couple of weeks after the initial announcement, architecture outfit Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) was tapped to design the new tower. Fast forward a few months, and a drawing of the new tower has been spotted on the SkyscraperPage forums that reveals a 38 story tower that appears to match the aesthetic of the existing 275,000 square foot Block 37 retail structure. Previous reports indicated that the developer, CIM Group, could build up to 400 residential units and 500 hotel rooms according to zoning, however it is still unclear what the final makeup of the tower's residences and possible hotel will include.
==================================
July 11, 2014
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...r-revealed.php
==================================

New 38 Story Tower Apartment/Hotel Rising On Chicago’s Block 37

Quote:
Shaul Kuba’s Los Angeles-based CIM Group is resuscitating work on the Block 37 shopping mall development on 108 North State Street in Chicago’s Loop. The groundbreaking on the project was held eight years ago.

The tower will rise above the 275,000 square foot Block 37 retail structure currently located on the site opposite a Macy’s.

The three building structure’s previous developers suffered financial problems, and in 2011 Bank of America foreclosed on the property. CIM acquired it in 2012. Joseph Freed and Associates LLC assumed responsibility for the site’s retail development.

The name Block 37 comes from the fact that it was one of the original 58 designated blocks in Chicago. It is located in a square defined by West Randolph Street, North State Street, West Washington Street and North Dearborn Street.

There will also be an underground transit center, to be jointly funded by both the City of Chicago and the Chicago Transit Authority. One new building has already been completed at the site.
=================================
http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2014/0...agos-block-37/

Last edited by chris08876; Jul 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:05 PM
BANNED

Yuck.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:19 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Just to be clear, it is only the first rendering that is the new design....the second one is an old one, from years ago.....

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

Removed the old rendering. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 6:41 PM
BANNED

While they're at it, can the tear off the entire facade around b37 and start over? It has got to be the worst, most confused looking, joke-of-a-facade in the city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:22 PM
BANNED

This will be great for the Loop, however, the facade is total ass. It just looks so dated and cheesy and totally unworthy of its surroundings.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:58 PM
The City

I want my damn marquee on Randolph St! Cinema marquee, NOW! Do it before we start having people living here who can complain, bitch and moan.

Regarding the tower, I really look forward to it...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 10:59 PM

I'm in agreement with others. The facades need reconsideration.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:51 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Wait, they're going to finish the transit station? What's the point if express trains to O'Hare and Midway are off the table?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:21 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
Wait, they're going to finish the transit station? What's the point if express trains to O'Hare and Midway are off the table?
No, they're not. I think it was just part of the packaging from the press release. Either old news that they should have known to take out or they're just stating that there is transit access through the building, with direct access to the existing blue and red lines.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 2:50 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
This will be great for the Loop, however, the facade is total ass. It just looks so dated and cheesy and totally unworthy of its surroundings.
Cheese grater...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Cheese grater...
i think the facade will be very appealing to the types who want to live above a mall. gotta keep these types somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Given that the base (retail component) facade is what it is - CIM Group apparently has no plans to change it (has anyone heard differently?), I think the tower is pretty good - I really do think SCB did a decent job here of working with the found condition that is by all accounts not being changed in the form of the retail base facade. My assessment assumes that what we are seeing in the tower's north facade is all glass, ie no additional metal cheese grater sections.....to me this looks to be the case. I like the fairly subtle weave affect from (what I hope are) slight shifts in the tower floor plates.........

The 'living above a mall' comment is an odd one. Obviously the tower is programmatically completely separate from the actual interial retail element of the project. There's really no difference here from living in any other high-rise in a very active mixed-use area in Chicago. You go down to the residential lobby on Randolph, you step outside and there's loads of street front retail, food, culture, etc etc in all directions, including all of the 1st floor shops in Block 37 itself that have individual street entrances. If for some reason a resident has an extreme distaste for malls - even vertical urban ones, which some folks do, fair enough - he/she needn't ever step foot inside the interior common areas of the retail portion of the block - in fact they could virtully forget it even exists for all practical purposes.........however, in reality, I think people who would choose to do that would be a smallish minority, as once a majority of the new entertainment, food, and retail that CIM Group is bringing in opens - hopefully within the next year, but at very latest by the time the residential tower is completed - there will be a lot of compelling draws on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors that most residents likely would want to take advantage of......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Aug 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 1:28 AM
TL;DR

Should we merge this thread into the other Block 37 thread?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...52443&page=176

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 1:54 AM
The City

^. Even better, let's dissolve them all into the high rise thread. I like that in Chicago we only create threads for special projects. We Chicago forumers are smart like that, why mess with good thing?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Even better, let's dissolve them all into the high rise thread. I like that in Chicago we only create threads for special projects. We Chicago forumers are smart like that, why mess with good thing?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:54 PM
dream fast

9/25

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:12 PM
BANNED

City's on fire

How will this be classified as under construction? I'm assuming they don't have to drill caissons.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:39 PM
The City

^. Funny, I was just going to ask the same question

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:42 PM
Content provider

that looks like vertical rebar or something there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive