HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

VIA 57 WEST in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

EDMONTON | Ultima Condos | 31 Floors

Going in right downtown Edmonton next to the soon to be constructed Edmonton Oiler arena.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...caped02JPG.jpg)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:22 PM
Community Guy

Last edited by Coldrsx; May 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:23 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:09 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Nice looking tower. Is the brick base going to be new or a facadectomie?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:21 PM
Community Guy

New. Currently a surface lot.

Sales commence in June and they want to break ground in Fall.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 11:28 PM

i like it.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 1:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like it a lot. Can we have one in LA?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:45 PM

Tower portion looks good podium = fail. so this one's not actually u/c yet?

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:03 AM
Community Guy

The area is a historic zoning so you have to. This fall if not earlier. Personally I am nt a huge fan of faux historic, but this is well done IMO. Modern but older lines.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The area is a historic zoning so you have to. This fall if not earlier. Personally I am nt a huge fan of faux historic, but this is well done IMO. Modern but older lines.
We have some towers in Calgary with that same issue. I don't mind the materials per se, but the mix of old and new just doesn't work.

BTW, usually towers aren't put into this section until they've actually broken ground with shoring or excavating even if it's likely. There are a half dozen towers in CGY 'excepting to start construction' anytime.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
Community Guy

Well aware of those examples, this blows those away.

Indeed, but we fully expect this softly.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:59 PM
Editor

Not a bad looking tower...I like the materials on the tower potion. Hate the podium. It's not just the materials, I don't like the way the tower sits back of the podium....gives it a disconnected feel - I've never been a fan of the floating tower look. The whole idea of having podiums tied to a historic district is stupid.... we've had the same deal in cowtown.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I moved this to the Highrise Proposals subforum, as it's not under construction just yet. As soon as we get proof of foundation work, I'll move it back.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:25 PM
Community Guy

Sales start Sat.

Developer plans condo tower near future downtown arena
BY LEWIS KELLY, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM MAY 29, 2012 6:02 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 3 )

Artist's conception of the 32-storey Ultima condominium tower planned for 103rd Street south of 103rd Avenue.
Photograph by: Supplied , edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON – Westrich Pacific Corporation will begin sales June 2 on a 32-storey luxury condominium development just south of the location of the future downtown arena.

The developer plans to begin construction on 103rd Street south of 103rd Avenue in October and finish the building in 2015 – on the opening day of the new arena, according to David Sanche, partner and co-founder of Westrich.

“We’ve had our eye on the site for quite a while,” said Sanche, 27. “It’s at the epicentre of Edmonton.”

Both Sanche and fellow Westrich co-founder Richie Lam, 31, insist their project, named the Ultima Tower, will go ahead regardless of the arena’s completion date. But they also point to recent land purchases by the Katz Group, Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s conglomeration of companies, and WAM Development Group around the new arena’s location on 104th Avenue and 103rd Street.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...841/story.html

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Sales start Sat.

Developer plans condo tower near future downtown arena
BY LEWIS KELLY, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM MAY 29, 2012 6:02 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 3 )

Artist's conception of the 32-storey Ultima condominium tower planned for 103rd Street south of 103rd Avenue.
Photograph by: Supplied , edmontonjournal.com
EDMONTON – Westrich Pacific Corporation will begin sales June 2 on a 32-storey luxury condominium development just south of the location of the future downtown arena.

The developer plans to begin construction on 103rd Street south of 103rd Avenue in October and finish the building in 2015 – on the opening day of the new arena, according to David Sanche, partner and co-founder of Westrich.

“We’ve had our eye on the site for quite a while,” said Sanche, 27. “It’s at the epicentre of Edmonton.”

Both Sanche and fellow Westrich co-founder Richie Lam, 31, insist their project, named the Ultima Tower, will go ahead regardless of the arena’s completion date. But they also point to recent land purchases by the Katz Group, Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s conglomeration of companies, and WAM Development Group around the new arena’s location on 104th Avenue and 103rd Street.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...841/story.html
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a developer give a construction start date, but start at a later time I'd be a billionaire.

I'm sure it will get built....whether it's on the expected timeline though....

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:38 PM
Community Guy

^i'd expect spring 2013...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 1:59 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Here's hoping... This is the kind of development that Edmonton is sorely lacking and needs to be repeated on a grand scale across the city, though I suspect the market for these types of towers aren't as huge as I would hope for...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 1:57 AM
Community Guy

Oh no? Then why was there a giant line for the opening with a considerable amount of units 'sold'.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:05 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Glad to hear that but I have my doubts if there were more options on the market of the same calibre, sadly... Then again only time will tell, right?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

That it will, but IMO this project is positioned perfectly and will do very well. In that they will raise the bar and stakes for others.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive