HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Google Fiber? Please say you have a rumor about GF coming to SLC?
I think he meant Provo serving as an anchor of its own metropolitan area.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:45 AM

New UTA electronic fare cards available Monday
FAREPAY » UTA will offer 20% fare discounts for 5 months to card users.
By Lee Davidson | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Oct 08 2013 03:56 pm • Last Updated Oct 08 2013 11:15 pm
The Utah Transit Authority announced Tuesday that its new prepaid, reloadable electronic FAREPAY cards will be available for purchase beginning Monday.

To encourage use, UTA will offer discounts of up to 20 percent off regular cash fares for the next five months to those who use the new cards. So through March 14, for example, card users will be charged only $2 for a one-way bus or TRAX trip that normally costs $2.50
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...ronic.html.csp

I'll be getting this! 20% off and convenient!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:00 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsol18 View Post
New UTA electronic fare cards available Monday
FAREPAY » UTA will offer 20% fare discounts for 5 months to card users.
By Lee Davidson | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Oct 08 2013 03:56 pm • Last Updated Oct 08 2013 11:15 pm
The Utah Transit Authority announced Tuesday that its new prepaid, reloadable electronic FAREPAY cards will be available for purchase beginning Monday.

To encourage use, UTA will offer discounts of up to 20 percent off regular cash fares for the next five months to those who use the new cards. So through March 14, for example, card users will be charged only $2 for a one-way bus or TRAX trip that normally costs $2.50
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...ronic.html.csp

I'll be getting this! 20% off and convenient!
I would hope that UTA will track the usage of the cards when the 20% discount is in effect vs when it stops and see if ridership declines. This would be a great study for them to see if they can justify lowering the rates to promote more overall ridership.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 10:01 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Google Fiber? Please say you have a rumor about GF coming to SLC?
What is so special about google fiber? The line coming in to my apartment building is already fiber and its already pretty fast.. I hit the upload caps of servers before I hit my download cap.

Google is the worst company out there when it comes to privacy... They make 0 attempt to protect the privacy of users.. Why would anyone want google as an ISP?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
What is so special about google fiber?
Maybe free internet? I mean you can pay to get the fast stuff, but I know of no one else who offers average speeds for free.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
What is so special about google fiber? The line coming in to my apartment building is already fiber and its already pretty fast.. I hit the upload caps of servers before I hit my download cap.

Google is the worst company out there when it comes to privacy... They make 0 attempt to protect the privacy of users.. Why would anyone want google as an ISP?
What do you have to hide?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
of SLC

Quote:

Amen!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:21 PM

Could cheap UTA passes in Salt Lake City spread elsewhere?

An annual pass good on TRAX, FrontRunner, buses and the Sugar House Streetcar is $360.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...fares.html.csp

Quote:
One big question emerges from the new pilot program to allow Salt Lake City residents to buy Utah Transit Authority annual passes for the equivalent of $30 a month instead of the normal $198: Why not just drop the cost of such passes for everyone, everywhere to try to increase ridership?

UTA General Manager Michael Allegra has an honest answer.

"I want to make sure there are no pitfalls," he said. "I’m shy of offering it everywhere when I’m not really sure I know what I’m doing."

Allegra said no other transit agency in the country has ever tried anything quite like this, and UTA is unsure how it will affect its fare-box revenues and overall costs. He says the one-year experiment in just Salt Lake City should help answer those questions without major risk.

"If it works, we certainly would consider making it applicable in other situations," Allegra says. "There’s no reason we shouldn’t do it" in other cities or even throughout the entire multi-county UTA district if the experiment works.

Last week, Salt Lake City and UTA announced they are teaming to allow capital residents to buy an annual pass — good on TRAX, FrontRunner, buses and the Sugar House Streetcar — for $360. Such passes cost others $198 a month, or $2,376 a year.

So Salt Lake City residents could save $2,0126 a year.

City officials tout it as a way to reduce air pollution. UTA hopes it will persuade more people to use mass transit, and that comes as a UTA Board committee this week endorsed a new goal to double ridership by 2020. That goes to the full UTA Board for consideration later this month, and such new pass programs could be a key to meeting that goal.
I do hope that this experiment goes well and that UTA expands the offer to the UTA service area next.

Each area could have a slightly higher cost. For example, South Salt Lake could be folded in to the current SLC deal. West Valley could be $1.00 more per month, Sandy $1.25 more per month, Draper $1.50 more per month, and Herriman $1.75 more per month. Eagle Mountain should be $2.50 more per month.

The same levels could be priced ranging from the distance between the 3 major city points. SLC, Provo and Ogden should all be the nucleus of the pricing where each city all have the same rates and then expanding outwards with prices going up the same amount based on each zone. The buffer zones (middle areas between the cities) would be the maximum price.

The maximum amount could be priced at between $38.50 or $40.00 per month. Even at these prices, the costs are still lower than driving will be.

Also, going to this format, price increases could be as little as $0.01 per person so as to not me as costly and discourage potential ridership.

With a goal to double ridership in the next 6.25 years, something like this will be sorely needed. I can't wait for this study to finish and seeing it rolled out to more people.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Allegra said UTA calculates, after a year of study, that its current tax subsidies per ride would remain exactly the same as if it can sell at least 6,500 of the new passes in Salt Lake City, and subsidies would drop after hitting that point.
Love this. UTA has adopted the thinking that if you lower fares enough, an increase in ridership will make up it. This is a crucial step in bringing about the paradigm shift away from Salt Lake City's car-centric culture.

Quote:
Fares cover only a portion of the cost of rides. UTA figures this year it is spending $3.81 from sales-tax revenue to subsidize each ride beyond what fares cover. That varies greatly by type of ride. The subsidy so far this year is $1.34 per trip on TRAX, $4.59 by bus, $8.68 by FrontRunner and $27.33 for paratransit.
Fascinating to see just how cost-effective TRAX is. $1.34 per trip. Wow—TRAX is making an exceptional profit.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 5:43 PM

So is SLC funding / subsidizing this deal at all?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 5:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
Fascinating to see just how cost-effective TRAX is. $1.34 per trip. Wow—TRAX is making an exceptional profit.
That is a hugely impressive low subsidy for a transit system, but you can't say that TRAX is making an exceptional profit if it still requires subsidies to cover the cost of operations. Which still doesn't take away from how impressive that metric is.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
So is SLC funding / subsidizing this deal at all?
I think the city is planning to set aside $150,000 for administration of the program. I am not sure if that money is going to UTA though.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That is a hugely impressive low subsidy for a transit system, but you can't say that TRAX is making an exceptional profit if it still requires subsidies to cover the cost of operations. Which still doesn't take away from how impressive that metric is.
Yeah, profit was definitely the wrong word. Thanks for calling me out on that—what I meant to say is basically what you said. I've never seen such a low subsidy.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:21 AM

To all of you out and around in downtown in the dead of night, keep a look out.
Tests on the Black line continue when time/operators permit.
They are still working out which combination of headways will work best.
Be patient, and don't be surprised if an announcement for this line does not come until next month.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:08 PM

As a rule of thumb, once concessionary fares are accounted for, transfers, and monthly pass holders, the average fare collected per ride is approximately 1/2 the adult one-way full fare. At $1.34 per ride, at current UTA fare levels TRAX comes rather close to full fare recovery, where the average fare collected per boarding is equal to or lower than the average subsidy per boarding.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I was thinking about trax the other night, and the need for extended hours on the airport line. Yes I think about trax in my spare time, because like the rest of you I'm a nerd like that and I tend to think about that kinds of stuff in my spare time.

The best way to increase the airport line, and all lines actually, to provide later service is to see true TOD (NOT TAD like Farmington Station), occur at all the stations along all the lines, with a massive increase in density all along North Temple, and 400 S. When the N. Temple corridor redevelops with 5-10 story buildings with residential, office and retail, the demand for the Airport line will sky rocket, and the sheer number of residents will require later service as many of them will choose to take trax into downtown for dinner, shows, events, bars, and clubs.

I would anticipate that the addition of the Black line will help spur N. Temple redevelopment even more, and the redevelopment will require later service on that line. If other cities along the Trax corridor want to have later service then they need to continue to increase their TOD presence along the Trax lines. They need to think outside the box and create some mixed use zoning, to encourage more development.

As an example. The business park that the Green Line stops at after it crosses the Jordan River. This is an office park that is full of 1-3 story buildings spread out over a large area. West Valley City needs to re-zone that area for mixed use, and allow for residential development in that area, and encourage the owner of the entire office park to redevelop the area to include residential. The nice thing about it, is that no additional parking requirements would be necessary because the uses are complimentary, as to when the parking would be used. Imagine a mix of 3-5 story urban designed residential buildings mixed in with the existing offices, all focused and convenient access to the Trax Station.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:13 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I was thinking about trax the other night, and the need for extended hours on the airport line. Yes I think about trax in my spare time, because like the rest of you I'm a nerd like that and I tend to think about that kinds of stuff in my spare time.

The best way to increase the airport line, and all lines actually, to provide later service is to see true TOD (NOT TAD like Farmington Station), occur at all the stations along all the lines, with a massive increase in density all along North Temple, and 400 S. When the N. Temple corridor redevelops with 5-10 story buildings with residential, office and retail, the demand for the Airport line will sky rocket, and the sheer number of residents will require later service as many of them will choose to take trax into downtown for dinner, shows, events, bars, and clubs.

I would anticipate that the addition of the Black line will help spur N. Temple redevelopment even more, and the redevelopment will require later service on that line. If other cities along the Trax corridor want to have later service then they need to continue to increase their TOD presence along the Trax lines. They need to think outside the box and create some mixed use zoning, to encourage more development.

As an example. The business park that the Green Line stops at after it crosses the Jordan River. This is an office park that is full of 1-3 story buildings spread out over a large area. West Valley City needs to re-zone that area for mixed use, and allow for residential development in that area, and encourage the owner of the entire office park to redevelop the area to include residential. The nice thing about it, is that no additional parking requirements would be necessary because the uses are complimentary, as to when the parking would be used. Imagine a mix of 3-5 story urban designed residential buildings mixed in with the existing offices, all focused and convenient access to the Trax Station.
When I take the family out on a TRAX ride we usually park the car at the West Valley station to catch the train. Every time I ride through that office park, I think about similar thoughts of putting some housing and denser office buildings with retail mixed in. Most of those buildings were built in the 70's and 80's, so I would assume they have had plenty of time to be paid off and ripe for redevelopment. I feel some of the TRAX stops along the green line are almost pointless with what is currently at those locations. Other than commute to and from work I wouldn't think anything between the Maveric Center and 2100 S station have many people getting on and off. That leaves a huge area with tones of potential.

I can only hope that if West Valley does change ordanences around the stations that 60' is the sortest any building can go and up to 125' for its heights.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:57 PM

Sugar House streetcar testing underway

Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News

By Jasen Lee, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-underway.html

...Planning for the Sugar House streetcar began in 2006, and construction on the line started in April 2012. Development of the $55.5 million project was a joint partnership between Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and UTA.

What distinguishes the streetcar line from UTA’s TRAX light-rail lines is that most streetcars operate in a vehicle travel lane near the sidewalk, while light-rail lines typically operate in a dedicated guideway in the middle of a street.

The streetcar’s slower speeds and frequent stops generate pedestrian traffic and encourage support of retail businesses, UTA officials said.

The S-Line, as it's being called, runs in a historic rail corridor that will feature seven stations along the route.

“The S-Line name refers to the place as a whole,” Bowman said. “In other words, it’s the streetcar line itself, as well as the adjacent greenway space (that) is designed to reflect the region’s industrial history.”...

The Sugar House streetcar takes a test run Friday, Oct. 18, 2013, in Salt Lake City. (Scott G Winterton, Deseret News)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

How Utah Turned Its Unpopular Public Transit System Into a Hit

It wasn't always the case that Utah was in a hurry to build public transit. In 1992, voters rejected a tax measure that would have funded a light rail line in Salt Lake Valley. In 1997, at the groundbreaking for what would become the successful TRAX system, protestors held up signs that read: "Light Rail Kills Children." Not exactly a warm welcome.

Full article http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...stem-hit/7298/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

It wasn't always the case that Utah was in a hurry to build public transit. In 1992, voters rejected a tax measure that would have funded a light rail line in Salt Lake Valley. In 1997, at the groundbreaking for what would become the successful TRAX system, protestors held up signs that read: "Light Rail Kills Children." Not exactly a warm welcome.
So do guns.

But no really I do remember riding Trax for the first time back when the Sandy to downtown line opened and while riding I remember a protestor on the side of the rail throwing what I believe to be apples at us.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West