HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:34 PM

Judging by today's NCC board meeting agenda they will be installing railings along the Canal between Dow's Lake and Hog's back.
Wish they widened the path as well. It's super busy and tight during rush hour.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
The name is European, where people got over their hand-wringing about language issues a long time ago.
Exactly!

[off topic rant]
How is it that the Netherlands (a tiny country surrounded by large countries that speak foreign languages) can keep their language and culture while having a bilingual rate of over 90% (and a multilingual rate of of 77%), yet Canada's rate of bilingualism is 17.5% nationally (2011). I can understand the western provinces struggling (guilty as charged) but Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick (at a minimum) should be doing much better, yet their bilingual rates are 11.7%, 40.8% and 34.2% respectively (2001).

They key is starting early. Studies have shown that if you don't start learning a second language by age 7, you won't become fully bilingual.

IMHO, we should put an end to language segregation in our schools and have both French and English are taught equally to all students from day 1. It would also reduce the need for busing as students just go to their nearest school (don't get me started on the separation of public and catholic students).
[/off topic rant]

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Judging by today's NCC board meeting agenda they will be installing railings along the Canal between Dow's Lake and Hog's back.
I assume you mean on the eastern edge where the path is only separated from the canal by a small curb. I remember 20 years ago being nervous riding my bike along that stretch, as I am sure that if you even bumped your wheel on the curb, you would be going for a swim. The path along the western edge at least has a strip of grass between the path and the canal.

I agree that widening the path would be nice (maybe even a separate bicycle path), but I am shocked that it has taken this long for a railing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Exactly!

[off topic rant]
How is it that the Netherlands (a tiny country surrounded by large countries that speak foreign languages) can keep their language and culture while having a bilingual rate of over 90% (and a multilingual rate of of 77%), yet Canada's rate of bilingualism is 17.5% nationally (2011). I can understand the western provinces struggling (guilty as charged) but Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick (at a minimum) should be doing much better, yet their bilingual rates are 11.7%, 40.8% and 34.2% respectively (2001).

They key is starting early. Studies have shown that if you don't start learning a second language by age 7, you won't become fully bilingual.

IMHO, we should put an end to language segregation in our schools and have both French and English are taught equally to all students from day 1. It would also reduce the need for busing as students just go to their nearest school (don't get me started on the separation of public and catholic students).
[/off topic rant]
Canadians just suck at teaching languages in school. Countries like Denmark, Netherlands, and Israel achieve near-universal fluency in English as a second language among their citizens through the education system.

Even in Poland, where learning and speaking English was effectively illegal until 1989, about half the population speaks English.

If we actually tried, there's no reason why we couldn't achieve an 80% bilingualism rate coast to coast.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:33 PM

New 2.4 km #RideauCanal railings to resemble existing. Installation from October to December 2017

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Canadians just suck at teaching languages in school. Countries like Denmark, Netherlands, and Israel achieve near-universal fluency in English as a second language among their citizens through the education system.

Even in Poland, where learning and speaking English was effectively illegal until 1989, about half the population speaks English.

If we actually tried, there's no reason why we couldn't achieve an 80% bilingualism rate coast to coast.
lol...

People need to speak other languages to do business in Europe. Simple.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
lol...

People need to speak other languages to do business in Europe. Simple.
Do they though? Here in Czech unless you work in certain industries you can certainly get by without knowing any English yet all the young people know it.. well enough, anyway. Older people not so much. When I opened my bank account here I had to bring a licensed interpreter because the bank branch didn't have any managers who were fluent enough in English to serve me. All were over 40, I think (judging by appearance).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Do they though? Here in Czech unless you work in certain industries you can certainly get by without knowing any English yet all the young people know it.. well enough, anyway. Older people not so much. When I opened my bank account here I had to bring a licensed interpreter because the bank branch didn't have any managers who were fluent enough in English to serve me. All were over 40, I think (judging by appearance).
That is due to a change in political climate. Under soviet control, Eastern European countries couldn't do any trade with the west, so Russian was the second language taught. Now, in the European Union, they have standardized on English as the universal language for trade. Ironic considering the largest English speaking country in the union is exiting.

Having said that, only a minority of the population need to speak a second language for trade, but a majority are fluent.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
I agree that widening the path would be nice (maybe even a separate bicycle path), but I am shocked that it has taken this long for a railing.
Especially in Ottawa, where everything fun has been lawyered away.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
That is due to a change in political climate. Under soviet control, Eastern European countries couldn't do any trade with the west, so Russian was the second language taught. Now, in the European Union, they have standardized on English as the universal language for trade. Ironic considering the largest English speaking country in the union is exiting.

Having said that, only a minority of the population need to speak a second language for trade, but a majority are fluent.
Yeah. Most older people here can speak Russian, in theory. In practice most will probably kick you in the nuts if you try to speak to them with it .

Also one thing I learned here (that I actually didn't know before)--Czechs are touchy on the regional classification of their country. To them, their country is Central European, not Eastern European. Saying the latter won't get a very positive reaction from most. (It makes sense once you look at a map.. I mean Prague is actually 100 kilometres west of Vienna).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
About 5 years ago, I saw a girl fall down there while on her bike. Thankfully her bike stayed on shore and the water level was low (she couldn't swim). If memory serves me correct, I called 911 and the fire department brought a ladder. She was shaken but did not seem to have major injuries.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
About 5 years ago, I saw a girl fall down there while on her bike. Thankfully her bike stayed on shore and the water level was low (she couldn't swim). If memory serves me correct, I called 911 and the fire department brought a ladder. She was shaken but did not seem to have major injuries.
I once watched a guy ride his bike along the TOP of that edge. He seemed very zen about it, while everyone else quietly waited for him to fall either onto the path or into the water...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:08 PM

New boat cruise operation comming

Apparently a self drive boat operation is comming to the Rideau Canal.

http://www.leboat.ca/en

News article here

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...anal-1.4180277

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
Apparently a self drive boat operation is comming to the Rideau Canal.

http://www.leboat.ca/en

News article here

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...anal-1.4180277
Check out posts #53 and #56.

European boat rental company coming to Rideau Canal
Le Boat bringing 16 vessels equipped for multi-day outings, starting in 2018

CBC News Posted: Jun 27, 2017 4:29 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 27, 2017 5:01 PM ET

European "self-hire" boat company Le Boat is setting up shop in Smiths Falls, Ont., with a fleet of vessels designed for multi-day outings along the Rideau Canal starting next year.

Parks Canada announced the agreement today, saying 16 boats equipped with a kitchen, bathrooms and sleeping quarters would be available for rent from Smiths Falls in 2018.

Le Boat lets renters captain their own crafts, as long as they have the right boating licence and take an orientation course.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Check out posts #53 and #56.

European boat rental company coming to Rideau Canal
Le Boat bringing 16 vessels equipped for multi-day outings, starting in 2018

CBC News Posted: Jun 27, 2017 4:29 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 27, 2017 5:01 PM ET

European "self-hire" boat company Le Boat is setting up shop in Smiths Falls, Ont., with a fleet of vessels designed for multi-day outings along the Rideau Canal starting next year.

Parks Canada announced the agreement today, saying 16 boats equipped with a kitchen, bathrooms and sleeping quarters would be available for rent from Smiths Falls in 2018.

Le Boat lets renters captain their own crafts, as long as they have the right boating licence and take an orientation course.
Ooops... missed that

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rideau Canal's downtown stretch declared contaminated site
Tests of sediment revealed heavy metals, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons

CBC News
Posted: Nov 02, 2017 3:03 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 02, 2017 5:27 PM ET

A picturesque part of the Rideau Canal running through downtown Ottawa is now on a list of contaminated federal sites, Parks Canada announced Thursday.

That dubious designation is the result of tests done on sediment from the canal bed between the Ottawa Locks and Bronson Avenue. The tests were conducted after the discovery of heavy metals such as lead and cadmium, as well as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which have been linked to various cancers.

The latest round of tests was conducted to identify the extent of the contamination, and to be able to put in place measures to protect the environment, Parks Canada said.

Parks Canada calls the discovery of contaminated sediment "not unexpected" given the long history of industrial use and the urban location of that part of the canal. Over the last century the downtown stretch of the canal was home to a paint factory and has seen both trains running along its edge and steam-powered boats hauling industrial goods.

Parks Canada, the federal department in charge of the canal, said it would work with the City of Ottawa and the National Capital Commission to find ways to deal with the affected section of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The risk to human health is low, according to the department, as long as people don't have direct contact with the sediment at the bottom of the canal. Boating, paddling, skating and recreational use of the canal pathways will continue to be encouraged along, Parks Canada said.

Parks Canada temporarily halted repairs along a section of the canal after workers turned up canal-bed toxins while laying bricks last November.

Repairs resumed in the winter but were restricted so as not to disturb the sediment.

Parks Canada said future construction work would proceed with mitigation measures in place to protect the environment and public safety.

Thursday's statement didn't mention the canal's marine life, which includes carp, muskies and other species popular with urban fishers.

Earlier this year, Parks Canada acknowledged that fish can ingest sediments, however, fishing is monitored by the Ontario government. The province told CBC News last spring it was assessing the situation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tawa-1.4384345

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Anyone know why it's taking so long for the Rideau Canal to open for skating?

The last time the temperature was above freezing was Dec. 19 and that was only +4 and was for a few hours.

The last time Ottawa really got any rain was on Dec. 5.

So what gives?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 5:09 PM

We had a fair bit of snow before it got really cold. i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of vicious circle where the ice wouldn't have been thick enough underneath to get equipment out to clear the blanket which continued to insulate the ice despite all the cold we've had, slowing the thickening of the ice. That's my guess.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 10:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rideau Canal closed to boaters until June

Megan Gillis, Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: 19 hours ago • 1 minute read

The Rideau Canal, a national historic site, will not open to boat traffic until June at the earliest.

The canal’s mooring sites and all of its boat launches and lockstations will remain closed until at least May 31 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The navigation season on the Rideau Canal normally runs from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, bridge operations for boats travelling under the LaSalle Causeway at Kingston won’t start until May 12 because of province-wide travel restrictions. Public Services and Procurement Canada announced Thursday that it will operate the bridge for commercial marine traffic on request.

On April 15, Parks Canada announced that the Rideau Canal’s visitor facilities will remain closed and that group activities and events will be cancelled “to help limit the spread of COVID-19.” Lockstations, visitors centres, parking lots, day-use areas, trails, boat launches and mooring areas are all closed until at least May 31.

Using the waterway is “discouraged and at one’s own risk,” Parks Canada said, noting that there may be unmarked hazards and aids to navigation may be missing, off-station or inoperable.

Built between 1826 and 1832 to assist in military defence and to ensure a supply route between Montreal and Kingston, the Rideau Canal is a 200-kilometre waterway that connects the Ottawa River and Lake Ontario.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-a7e88625ff7d/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC board: Tram preference on Wellington, new pathways at LeBreton Flats, master plan for Gatineau Park

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jan 21, 2021 • 50 minutes ago • 4 minute read

<snip>

Rideau Canal Skateway could be days from opening

The Rideau Canal Skateway is on track to open early next week, according to Nussbaum.

Nussbaum said the agency is trying to open the major attraction for recreational purposes while following public health advice.

The NCC is asking people to only use amenities that are close to their homes, which would suggest the skateway might be unofficially off limits for residents who don’t live near the canal.

Nussbaum said the NCC doesn’t want to see, for example, 30,000 people on the 7.8-kilometre skateway on a Saturday afternoon, a typical volume during Winterlude festivals.

Public health agencies recommend people keep two metres apart from each other to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Anyone using the canal skateway will be asked to wear a mask.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-gatineau-park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation