HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The reason why you don't see many use the transfer to Bayshore is because the frequency is so terrible. The 97 only runs once every 30 minutes between Bayshore and Bells Corners. That does not make a convenient transfer.
OMG tell me about it.

The reconfigured service to/from Bells Corners is unbelievable bad. The former routes at least used to alternate (and in practice, too, not just in theory) which effectively gave you some frequency advantage as a passenger, even on weekends.

As much as I complain about transit in the downtown core and areas, the Bells Corners complaints are very well founded.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:52 PM

There has been so much talk about extending rail, but is this critical link across the city ever going to be built? I really wish they would consider using low floor streetcars. We need more than one good cross-town transit link especially with the Confederation Line following the Ottawa River for a good distance.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
There has been so much talk about extending rail, but is this critical link across the city ever going to be built? I really wish they would consider using low floor streetcars. We need more than one good cross-town transit link especially with the Confederation Line following the Ottawa River for a good distance.
The city's 2018 budget had $12M for the design of this project (including $6M from the feds); the forecast looked like the construction funding was going to be budgeted in 2019 and 2020.

We will see with this year's budget...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 8:37 PM
BANNED

In the 90s, Baseline was so overcrowded that they built Hunt Club (Now congested too) I believe in this project, but Baseline is not the place to put it. Put it on Hunt Cliub of Meadowlands

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:01 PM

Hunt Club has far less people living along it and fewer major destinations (Baseline has Algonquin College and Confederation Heights, Hunt Club has.... a few strip malls?). Baseline is far better suited for rapid transit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
In the 90s, Baseline was so overcrowded that they built Hunt Club (Now congested too) I believe in this project, but Baseline is not the place to put it. Put it on Hunt Cliub of Meadowlands
I agree that there should be a 402-type bus link between Greenboro and Baseline, but putting BRT there is a waste of money for the reasons CityTech said. Also the suggestion to put it on Meadowlands isn't even close to being remotely reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
I agree that there should be a 402-type bus link between Greenboro and Baseline, but putting BRT there is a waste of money for the reasons CityTech said. Also the suggestion to put it on Meadowlands isn't even close to being remotely reasonable.
Agreed.

What should really happen is that the 96 should be re-extended to Baseline. Frequency is pretty good westbound in AM peak and eastbound in PM peak; better frequency is needed in the other direction as well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Agreed.

What should really happen is that the 96 should be re-extended to Baseline. Frequency is pretty good westbound in AM peak and eastbound in PM peak; better frequency is needed in the other direction as well.
Route 96 was one of the stupidest things that came out of the service optimization in 2011.

We changed a cross-town transit route with growing ridership into a 'local' that was going to stagnate because it terminated in a very unnatural location.

Also, how can we grow ridership with hourly frequency?

Route 96 should be reconnected to Baseline Station, which will naturally attract ridership because of Algonquin College.

Of course, the culture that has arisen from the 2011 optimization is one to contain costs instead of growing ridership. This needs to go if transit is going to prosper in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:04 PM

I guess this project is dead for the next 20 or 30 years, with LRT budgets exploding. It is certainly proving that BRT to LRT conversions are no bargain.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
I guess this project is dead for the next 20 or 30 years, with LRT budgets exploding. It is certainly proving that BRT to LRT conversions are no bargain.
The 2019 Budget forecasts $25M for Baseline BRT in 2020 and $114M in 2021.

(page 145 of the Full Transportation budget here: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view...&fileid=565926)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The 2019 Budget forecasts $25M for Baseline BRT in 2020 and $114M in 2021.

(page 145 of the Full Transportation budget here: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view...&fileid=565926)
Thanks. Maybe it will get done first.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:49 AM

Time to boost this to top. What about this forgotten project? Is anything happening? We are consumed with the Confederation Line, but what about this missing link? Will we actually see any construction next year?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Time to boost this to top. What about this forgotten project? Is anything happening? We are consumed with the Confederation Line, but what about this missing link?
Ahh... this is the forgotten project. Yes, I haven't heard a peep out of the City on this one.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:55 AM
BANNED

They've completed the TPAP. Too bad they didn't consider the possibility of electrical charging infrastructure.

Last edited by Gat-Train; Aug 24, 2019 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 3:52 AM

OC and Parsons are still working on this. Minor aspects of station design are being worked out.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 11:42 AM

The big reveal will be the budget. Hopefully the cancellation of the gas tax increase will not affect this project.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:12 PM

I reached out to a city councillor on this to ask about funding in the 2020 budget, and was told that "the entire project relies on funding from the provincial and/or federal government so it is currently moving at glacial speed."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:58 PM

The Province eliminating the gas tax transfer increase severely crippled our ability to provide good service and build new transit corridors outside the funded rail lines. That's around $1B lost over 30 years.That announcement came days after the Province confirmed the $1B for Stage 2. In one pocket, out the other.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=8726874

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:34 PM

As you can tell by my comments in the last few years and the lack of real progress on this project, I have been skeptical that the Baseline BRT will ever be built. I still believe this is a critical link if we really want to get more people to rely on transit and to provide cross-town service that does require everybody to detour through downtown, a route that is not 100% reliable and is already overtaxed with downtown bound riders.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:01 PM

I wasn't always on board with this project, but I now understand the importance of it. We can't place all of our hopes and dreams in the rail projects. We need infrastructure to compliment the rail network and provide good transit for the entire city. By building-up multi-modal transit, especially within the Greenbelt, we can increase ridership in a significant way to the point where rail will one day be justified for more than just suburb to downtown commutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation