HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They filled up the hole (with tons of stone) behind left-over carcass. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm going to say not, because it probably means they are just stabilizing the hole while they do nothing for another few years.
Maybe the owner's just waiting for an earthquake or other type of disaster that will result in full collapse? A La "The Gilmour" parts I and II?

'THE GILMOUR' is furnished and fitted up in the most modern style. Electric cars pass the Hotel to all parts of the city. Rate $2.00 per day.'

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2009/12/...n-and-now.html

The Gilmour suffered a disastrous fire in 1905, with some loss of life. The tragedy was compounded when the ruins of the hotel's walls blew over onto Bank Street three weeks later, crushing a passing streetcar and killing the motorman.

After the fire, The Gilmour was rebuilt in 1906-07 as The Alexandra Hotel which was open until the late 1970s. During a community debate over whether it should be spared demolition, the empty hotel was destroyed by yet another fire rendering the preservation controversy moot.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They filled up the hole (with tons of stone) behind left-over carcass. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I'm going to say not, because it probably means they are just stabilizing the hole while they do nothing for another few years.
I saw that. I puke in my mouth a little bit when I walk/drive by this disaster EVERY SINGLE DAY!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa