HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:04 AM

235 King Edward Ave (Holiday Inn) | 27 m | 9 fl | U/C

Proposal on St. Patrick and King Edward for a 9 storey, 98 unit building that will provide "short and medium term rental accommodation". It will have 180 square meters of commercial space, likely a restaurant. Seems to me pharmacy or corner store would be more suitable for that space, but anyway.

It won't win an architectural award, but we have seen worst on much more valuable property, and until the King Edward truck traffic issue is fixed, we can't expect anything better in the area (the theatre is a refreshing exception to the rule).

Dev. app;

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9PYWY6

Planning rational;

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ionale.pdf.PDF

Elevations (closest thing to renders up til' now);

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ations.pdf.PDF

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:55 AM

Between this and the Nouvelle Scene theatre, it's nice to see King Edward getting some love.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:25 PM

Unhappy

Surrounded by 3 MAJOR arteries...wonder how any of the guests will get any sleep.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:41 PM

Why they need sleeping pills, hence the perfect spot for a new Shoppers. I mean common, we can't expect these people to walk a full five blocks to the nearest existing one, can we?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:55 PM

Please tell me it's not actually pink!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:56 PM

The crack heads one block over on Murray can maybe supply as well....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
The crack heads one block over on Murray can maybe supply as well....
I don't know, that's still pretty far.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 12:21 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Nine-storey apartment proposed for King Edward small step toward revitalization
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...828/story.html

BY DAVID REEVELY, OTTAWA CITIZEN JULY 26, 2013

OTTAWA — An Ottawa builder is planning the first significant construction project on a blighted stretch of King Edward Avenue in years, proposing to construct a nine-storey apartment building at the corner of King Edward and St. Patrick Street.

It’s a gravel parking lot now, right by one of Lowertown’s busiest intersections and across from a Tim Hortons and a tiny used-car lot. Manor Park Management wants to turn it into 98 furnished rental apartments with a restaurant on the ground floor and two levels of underground parking. “The project is intended to provide short and medium term rental accommodation in the form of furnished units in an apartment hotel type of operation,” say Manor Park’s application documents.

“We’ll have to go back to see what the community thinks, but I’m personally encouraged to see that there’s renewal on King Edward,” said Coun. Mathieu Fleury. The height may be a concern for nearby residents, said Fleury, though the building’s relative isolation should help with that. It’ll need to have “active frontages” on three sides, though, including on Murray Street to the south.

The building would be the tallest thing on King Edward north of Rideau Street, a length of road notorious for traffic bound to and from Quebec’s Highway 5, including heavy trucks. Neighbours include the Shepherds of Good Hope homeless shelter and a strip of rowhouses Mayor Jim Watson decried a few months ago as among the worst eyesores in the city, owned by the Claude Lauzon empire. But the new building would be on a little island between east- and westbound lanes of St. Patrick, almost by itself.

“Given the site’s physical separation from the adjacent blocks by the surrounding streets, it presents an opportunity to use a transitional height as a landmark and entrance feature into the neighbourhood as well as the city as a whole,” says the application, written by the city’s former chief of planning policy, Dennis Jacobs, who’s now a private consultant.

“Ottawa has a very temporary and transient group of people who are in and out for government or other business,” Jacobs said in an interview. Perhaps they’re here for training, or a placement or some other short-term purpose. There may also be a market for students at Ottawa U.”

King Edward is not a hot place to move to, he said, but every neighbourhood revitalization starts something like this. “Not that long ago, there were parts of Hintonburg that people weren’t that interested in moving into. I think the important thing is to look at the changes that are coming as opposed to what may be the existing situation,” Jacobs said. The city recently rebuilt King Edward and although it’s still an extremely busy street, it’s a bit more pleasant than it used to be. Adding more people will only help.

The proposal does need a rezoning. The property, whose official address is 364 St. Patrick, has zoning that allows a building of 11 metres, or about three floors; Manor Park’s proposal is for 27 metres. Otherwise, the “traditional mainstreet” zoning Manor Park wants closely matches the “general mixed use” designation the property already has.

Besides Manor Park’s proposal, the Nouvelle Scène theatre closer to Rideau Street is in the middle of a complete reconstruction into a taller, more modern building and Claridge has bought property at the northwest corner of Rideau and King Edward — now the site of the city’s biggest liquor store — with an eye to building a tall condo tower there eventually. Lauzon may sell his rowhouses, as well.

“You start filling in a lot of the lots that are problematic, and you start solving problems, and you end up with some real improvements over time,” Fleury said.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...828/story.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 2:10 AM

So Claridge bought the whole block between Cumberland and King Ed's? I thought they only bought the Metro and related paring lot on the west side.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
If the LCBO is replaced by a condo building in the future, that could be good news all around. More residents and less homeless.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:02 PM
East End expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
If the LCBO is replaced by a condo building in the future, that could be good news all around. More residents and less homeless.
But Boxster, aren't you forgetting something? What about the noise? (You always remember to think of that when a development is proposed.)... okay, sorry for taking the piss.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:50 PM

Re the Citizen article and it's reference to Claude Lauzon possibly selling the derelict rowhouses - has Monsieur Lauzon EVER sold a property for development in Lowertown? Seriously, I can't think of any examples, offhand.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
So Claridge bought the whole block between Cumberland and King Ed's? I thought they only bought the Metro and related paring lot on the west side.
If they did, I hope they use the design from the former Chapel Street project at Rideau and King Edward. That would be so nice, especially if Holt Renfrew or Saks were tenants.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
If they did, I hope they use the design from the former Chapel Street project at Rideau and King Edward. That would be so nice, especially if Holt Renfrew or Saks were tenants.
Agreed. It's exactly what Ottawa needs.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:16 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Re the Citizen article and it's reference to Claude Lauzon possibly selling the derelict rowhouses - has Monsieur Lauzon EVER sold a property for development in Lowertown? Seriously, I can't think of any examples, offhand.
NO - Shame on him. He will not be remembered for his contribution to making lowertown a nice place to live.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:51 PM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 5:29 PM

This would be huge for this area...literally and figuratively :p I highly approve. Gentrification of King Edward is the only way to fix the area. I hope for a day when the shelters are either moved or better integrated into the area with nicer facilities that promote a healthier lifestyle for the poor homeless folks.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
What if the LCBO stays as the anchor tenant of a ground floor retail component?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This would be huge for this area...literally and figuratively :p I highly approve. Gentrification of King Edward is the only way to fix the area. I hope for a day when the shelters are either moved or better integrated into the area with nicer facilities that promote a healthier lifestyle for the poor homeless folks.
Moved to where?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:42 PM

Great news for the area! I hope this encourages others to follow. Now if only that damn truck traffic was rerouted, this area could really prosper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa