HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:56 PM

Can we be clear for the record that this

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Don't worry, it might get a little stale around VII and VIII, but they'll really hit their stride with CP IX and will cruise right through to VL
and previous comments like it were not intended as a prophecy?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Is this the future market?
we should be so lucky, I count at least 4 different colours in those towers!

;-)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 2:13 AM

Claridge better pull a Beth Shalom or 1040 Somerset St and NOT call it Claridge Plaza Infinity.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:35 AM

I see there's an OMB hearing scheduled for this one early next year. Anyone know what that's about?

http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL130865

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:25 PM
National Capital Region

the site plan was appealed by the developer. I believe because the city has not made a decision within the legislated timeframe.

The application is now online
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9O8BWG

The architect is Béïque Legault Thuot Architectes, who also did EDC and 90 George http://www.blta.ca/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Seriously??! This lot AND the Metro lot? CP V/VI/VII/VIII?!

Is this the future market?

Can you imagine coming home drunk after recently moving into one of those towers? You'd end up aimlessly walking around trying to find [I]your[I] soft pink building until you sobered up in the wee hours of the morning.

Where is that anyways?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:58 PM

Hong Kong. A lot of Hong Kong looks like this.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:03 PM
National Capital Region

There are two towers proposed, one on Rideau and one on Besseser, with about a 3 storey podium in between. Retail is proposed on the 1st and 2nd floor, amenities on the third along with a courtyard on the roof of the podium. A four level automated underground parking system is proposed with access from Besserer Street (102 spaces).

The towers are built at or quite close to the eastern and western lot lines. On west lot line there appears to be an alley at ground level (see the streetview) Perhaps for service access to the 4 towers in the area, not sure if CP3/4 will also have parking garage access through this alley (see the rumour posted here http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=17). Blank walls are proposed on the east side - there is concrete pattern to break up the monotony of a two 27 storey blank facades.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:29 PM

I didn't realize that most of the parking lot is excluded from this, and would stay. It's unfortunate, as drawn, these would be extremely slender towers, I wouldn't be surprised if they have the smallest footprint we've seen in Ottawa (or maybe on par with Claridge's Pinnacle?), but because they're hugging up against CP III and IV, they just have the visual effect of increasing the footprints of those two towers by 50%.

The phoenix wing mosaics on the east walls are a pretty neat effect... although I guess these wouldn't be retained if, indeed this becomes a Claridge product. Ditto the deco-ish triplet details on the tower's front shown in the sun-shadow study.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:35 AM

I like the two storeys of retail, but it's disappointing that the parking lot is not a part of this proposal and that this building would be right up against CP3/4. That may look bulky. Who owns that parking lot any way? Wouldn't it look congested if that lot is eventually filled with another development?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 12:42 AM
National Capital Region

s

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:29 AM

Can we call it? Freiman's is the last department store building that will survive in its (nearly) original state.

A minute of silence for our fallen department store landmarks;

-Laroque (modified beyond recognition in 1989)
-Daly Building (destroyed by the NCC in 1991, replaced with boring, beige condo building)
-Caplan's (demolished in the mid-2000s and replaced with a rough replica on the podium of a non descript condo tower)
-Ogilvy's (demolished in the winter of 2012-2013; the great old dame will be reduced to a couple walls dwarfed by a mall expansion)
-Dworkin Furs (will soon be demolished without a trace to continue the wall of 27 storey non descript condo towers)

We should start a petition to build a memorial in their honour!

Last edited by J.OT13; Oct 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 1:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New condo towers planned for already clogged Rideau and King Edward

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN October 28, 2013 6:00 PM

OTTAWA — Rideau Street near King Edward is already so crammed with cars that adding two 27-storey towers to an already crowded block won’t make traffic any worse, says an application to the city.

That means it wouldn’t be developer DCR Phoenix’s responsibility to pay for any changes to make the roads work any better, to accommodate the buildings it wants to construct on a property now occupied by Dworkin Furs.

The two towers would be one behind the other, one facing Rideau and one facing Besserer Street to the south, with a three-storey podium as their base. They’d have 182 condos plus four storeys of underground parking run entirely by a robot valet system that whisks cars in and out of about 100 parking spots using motorized platforms.

When you’re erecting something that big in a busy neighbourhood, you have to show what the effect of all the extra cars will be on the neighbourhood. If your new building is going to break an intersection, you’ll likely have to pay for “improvements” like road-widening or a new turn lane to deal with the traffic you’re bringing in.

In this case, DCR Phoenix’s transportation study says nothing needs to be done to the nearby streets because those that will be overloaded after the buildings go up are overloaded already. As the study puts it more formally: “The failure level of services along the Rideau Street and King Edward Avenue corridors represent pre-existing conditions and are independent of the proposed 256 Rideau development and future background growth assumptions.”

The city has recently rebuilt Rideau and King Edward and tried to make them run more smoothly, which means they’re probably as good as they’re ever going to get. But the traffic in all directions where they cross is formally considered to be failing, especially at afternoon rush hour. Westbound traffic at nearby Rideau and Cumberland Street is in a failing state then, too, and so are the intersections of Daly and King Edward and also Besserer and Waller streets.

Adding traffic to a road that’s officially overloaded can make it worse, of course, but there’s no grade worse than F, no new state of technical awfulness for the road to plumb.

The robot valets should actually help. The system is to use two bays where residents of the building will park their cars, unload them and punch in passcodes, then walk away while the mobile platforms stow the vehicles in prescribed spaces underground. It’s not the first of its kind in Ottawa (the Eddy, a smaller condo project on Wellington Street, is to include a similar system and one of the buildings on LeBreton Flats uses a variant) but it will probably be the largest when it’s done.

Getting and stashing cars will take about a minute to a minute-and-a-half each, excluding the time it takes for people to get in and out themselves, meaning there’s a limit to how many vehicles will leave the garage at once. There should be enough room inside the garage for people waiting to park without forcing a queue outside the entrance on Besserer Street, the transportation report says. And Besserer, the main way in and out, can handle that traffic.

The twin 27-storey towers are in an area that’s recently seen a condo boom. Besides a pair of towers farther west on Rideau built by Claridge, Besserer Street has several slightly shorter buildings recently constructed and the traffic study notes another 700 units are planned in three more buildings. The major LCBO store and a Metro on the other side of Rideau will eventually sprout towers, too. That’s in addition to development all over the city, all of it contributing something to the traffic at major intersections.

Most of which is considered “background” traffic, contributed to Sandy Hill and Lowertown in the same way as traffic emanating from those neighbourhoods is part of background traffic elsewhere. It’s the standard way to conduct a transportation study.

“That’s been brought up by residents for a long period of time, that the city should give an umbrella view, not project by project,” said Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury, who represents the area. There’s just no good mechanism for doing it.

He has bigger problems with the development: It’s too much on a skinny lot, Fleury believes, and he doesn’t think much of the design he’s seen (simple drawings by Montreal architects Béïque Legault Thuot show one face with no windows, just patterned concrete panels). And the truck route along Rideau and King Edward is more problematic than another couple of hundred cars, he said. But indeed, with the intersection of Rideau and King Edward already failing, and probably permanently so, there’s no way to stop it from getting worse.

“It’s downtown, the roads are busy, I think people just expect that,” Fleury said.

The site is already zoned for tall buildings so ordinarily getting approval for the plans would be routine without a vote by politicians. Fleury said he’s watching the project closely, though, and will ask council’s planning committee to intervene if negotiations on the details go badly.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...414/story.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:27 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Hong Kong. A lot of Hong Kong looks like this.
Hong Kong is just awesome like that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Hong Kong is just awesome like that.
I just cannot conceive 100 cars talking from 1 minute to 1 minute 1/2 each to access in and out of the parking lot. That is without getting in and out of the car...imagine when you have groceries or young children. Just don`t forget anything in the car!!!!

Say 50 cars in the morning and at night....minimum 1 hour 1/2 of potential wait time.

and I won`t mention the purchase cost or maintenance of the automated car parking system.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 9:39 PM
Still optimistic

Hey, I've got a revolutionary idea - how's'abouts we have much less parking and charge its cost to those who want it instead of bundling "free" parking? I mean, this thing is downtown, spitting distance to the ORT station and half the buses in both Ottawa and Gastineau. Do we really need to bend over backwards so that everyone can have 1.5 cars to make their way to Arnprior on a dime?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
I just cannot conceive 100 cars talking from 1 minute to 1 minute 1/2 each to access in and out of the parking lot. That is without getting in and out of the car...imagine when you have groceries or young children. Just don`t forget anything in the car!!!!

Say 50 cars in the morning and at night....minimum 1 hour 1/2 of potential wait time.

and I won`t mention the purchase cost or maintenance of the automated car parking system.

Haha, you'd have to be really lazy to drive a car to do groceries if you lived in this building, as it's right across from Metro a two blocks away from another.

Although for now, I can understand the case for the Eddy, where there currently is now grocery store in walking distance. You'd probably have to learn to buy fewer things or be quick about it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:25 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Hey, I've got a revolutionary idea - how's'abouts we have much less parking and charge its cost to those who want it instead of bundling "free" parking? I mean, this thing is downtown, spitting distance to the ORT station and half the buses in both Ottawa and Gastineau. Do we really need to bend over backwards so that everyone can have 1.5 cars to make their way to Arnprior on a dime?
There are 102 parking spots and 182 units, so it's only 0.56 cars per unit. And you can bet that this parking will not be free ($35,000+). But it should be noted that the by-law requires only 46 parking spots, so the developer's thoughts are that the demand for parking is great than the minimum city requirements.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:51 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
There are 102 parking spots and 182 units, so it's only 0.56 cars per unit. And you can bet that this parking will not be free ($35,000+). But it should be noted that the by-law requires only 46 parking spots, so the developer's thoughts are that the demand for parking is great than the minimum city requirements.
Good on them for charging for it, but if this is causing such a problem, then they should only provide the legal minimum (or less) along with 4 or 5 car-sharing spots. They could even advertise it as a light, affordable city living without clutter.

I've been turned a Shoupista ever since I picked up 'The High Cost of Free Parking' last spring.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:13 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post

Hong Kong has something like 90% public transit usage. Another advantage of crazy density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa