HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 4:49 AM

So what floor level is at the south sidewalk entrance to Tower 1?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 8:50 AM

Floor levels

Good question about the floor levels. I had asked a construcition worker about what the floor levels were a couple weeks ago but I am not sure he gave me the right answer. I thought that there was a lobby, mezzanine and 60 floors of housing plus a 63rd floor for the water tank. As you can see earlier in this thread I found the permit from the contractor "to construct 63 floors..."

Its been confusing because there is definitely a 60th floor condominium and you would assume that it would start at the lobby but I think the building might start counting its "first floor" as the floor on Harrison or what would be the ground floor of the townhomes. Technically I guess the building starts on Harrison... only two sides of the building are cut into Rincon Hill... the other two sides face out North and West.

If you go to the site now you can see 4 floors at street level where the townhomes will be. Then there is the obvious lobby floor... then there is the mezzanine floor. Above the lobby and mezzanine in the concept drawings and models there are 9 "bays" and each bay has 6 floors. If this is true then its 4 floors of townhomes, the lobby, mezzanine, 54 floors of condos above that plus 3 floors in the water tower to make a total of 63. Which is probably where the 55 and 54 floor numbers came from. There is 54 floors of condos, plus the lobby for 55 (they weren't counting the mezzanine.) But they never counted the 4 floors of townhomes plus the 3 water tower levels or the mezzanine.

I can't wait till the thing is done to get the final word. I've been speculating here way too long.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 5:51 AM

Isn't the key to this puzzle in "Floors 8-27 will be ready for closing and move-in sometime late 2007. Floors 28-60 will be ready for closing and move-in sometime early 2008 (anticipated)", that is: why do the condos start at floor 8?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus
Isn't the key to this puzzle in "Floors 8-27 will be ready for closing and move-in sometime late 2007. Floors 28-60 will be ready for closing and move-in sometime early 2008 (anticipated)", that is: why do the condos start at floor 8?
I just counted the floors on the rendering. I got 55 from the sidewalk up but the first two have more height suggesting they are not condos, but lobbies and maybe other semi-public spaces. That would fit then--floor "8" is actually the 3rd floor above the street level immediately outside the tower but the 8th floor above Harrison St. There is, of course, height equivalent to another 3 or 4 floors in the water tank on top.

By the way, am I the only one who would be slightly freaked living in the 60th floor penthouse and knowing there's tons of water right over my head?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 9:54 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Isn't every high-rise New York penthouse just beneath tons of water?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 10:16 PM
Kodachrome

I'll be in the city on the 15th... I'll be sure to take some pics to post

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 11:08 PM

Then it seems the "55" story renderings and model of Tower 1 are still correct. The condo section of the tower is from floors 8 - 60. I suspect that lower floors below the lobby of Tower 1 are common and connected to the rest of the site. The 1st - 5th floors may be the same level for both towers. There appears to be at least 5 below lobby floors to Tower 1, so the Lobby could be the 6th floor, and the Mezzanine is the 7th. If the Mezzanine isn't counted as a floor, but counted as a level, there might be 6 below lobby floors instead. There could be 1 or 2 levels of mechanical between the highest condos and the water tank level. The level just above the condos could be just a buffer level. The Mezzanine may be counted as a level in the total count of 63, but I am not certain if it counted as a floor. At least it now seems we are within 1 floor level away of understanding the actual situation - I hope.

With the confusion over floor levels at One Rincon Hill, I am also beginning to wonder where the 641' and 541' heights of the towers are actually measured. Are they measured from the entrance lobby level to the roof, 1st floor to roof, 1st floor to the top of crown; or as I would most prefer to know, the entry lobby to the top of crown?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 10:25 AM

One Rincon Floors

I could have sworn that there were only 4 levels below the lobby when I've been by the construction site but maybe there was another buried from view.... and that would make it clearer... 5 levels plus 1 lobby, 1 mezzanine then 8-60 condos and 61-63 levels for the water tower.

I am beginning to think that they are counting the 641 feet from the Harrison Street level... which make sense if the first 5 levels are not really below ground just pushed into the hill. The ceilings I don't think are more than 9' when I went into the demo condo at the sales office. So that would be 10 feet per floor 9' + 1' slab. 10 x 63 levels plus the double height of the lobby would bring it to around 641'.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 11:12 AM
brooklyn~to~cairo

Slick- looks great!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 5:03 PM

From this view I see at least 5 levels below the lobby:

http://www.onerinconhill.com/webcam.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 7:06 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Doom and Gloom

Question to any/all...

I'm wondering about how that area is zoned in respect to two tall towers sitting right beside the freeway (bridge). Suppose there was a terrible earthquake. Even though the bridge might remain intact, what if the water-damper dumps or even worse... well you know. The bridge would become an impasse. (thoughts?)

Ok... so I do tend to look darkly upon such things. I've lived in California for 48 years... in SF for 30 of those years. Still, I would like to hear your views if it's appropriate in this thread.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 7:36 PM

If we assume a floor to floor height of 10’ and the same for the mezzanine, plus an estimated 14’ height for the lobby we get (54 x 10)+14= 554’ When we subtract from 641’, 554’, we have approximately 87’ left over for 5 floors of parking and 3 floors above the condos. This seems plausible, if we measure 641’ from the 1st floor to the top of the crown. It appears that both the height and the floors are measured and counted up from the 1st floor level, and not the lobby; and the highest occupied floor is officially 60. If this is more likely the case, should all the listings for Tower 1 be changed to 60 floors at 641’?

Last edited by SFView; Oct 9, 2006 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR
Question to any/all...

I'm wondering about how that area is zoned in respect to two tall towers sitting right beside the freeway (bridge). Suppose there was a terrible earthquake. Even though the bridge might remain intact, what if the water-damper dumps or even worse... well you know. The bridge would become an impasse. (thoughts?)

Ok... so I do tend to look darkly upon such things. I've lived in California for 48 years... in SF for 30 of those years. Still, I would like to hear your views if it's appropriate in this thread.
If an earthquake is big enough to knock down a modern highrise built on a rocky hill, I doubt half of SF that is old and built on landfill will be standing. Thus, this one highrise would be the least of your worries. In most cases it is safer to be in a highrise than a townhome in SF during an earthquake.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
Not far from Disneyland

I thought that all new construction in California had to have earthquake resistant structuring.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 3:18 AM

I forgot about what J Church said on the first page of this thread:
Quote:
Alright, we got an official height for this tower from the architects: 641'/63 stories. That is structural top from the main entrance.
If the main entrance is where I am guessing could be the 6th floor, then the condo floor-to-floor heights may be greater than 10'.

For those questioning seismic resistance of One Rincon Hill, also see the first page of this thread.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 7:02 AM

Floor Height

I catered all the sales events for One Rincon Hil... with Chase Communications and was touring in and out of the model unit every day for a few days and the ceiling heights were definitely around 9". They didn't seem to be above that. It seems that the height of the building is from Harrison Street. The only floor with tall ceilings is obviously the lobby that you can see under construction from the street.

Also, it seems that there is enough proof now that there is at the very least "60th floor condos" both from the sales office where they are selling 60th floors condos... as well as Project Manager Advisor Inc. website for the building which states it as being 61 stories (the first floor of the water tank above the last floor of condos.) Can someone change that here to "60 floors" and on Emporis? I emailed Emporis with the proof from the PMAInc. website as well as the SF Buiding Inspection website which states that its 63 levels but I never got a response from Emporis.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 3:57 AM

At risk of being wrong again, here is another speculative attempt resolving the mystery of Tower 1 floor count and building height:

After examinating and scaling the renderings, photographs and information regarding Tower 1 available on this web site, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Rincon_Hill, I have made the following new estimate:

(57 levels x 11' ht.) + 1 level 14' high lobby = 641 feet! The 57 levels includes 53 floors of condos, 1 mezzanine, and 3 levels above the condos, all at the estimated floor-to-floor height of 11'. Counting occupied floors only, it may be still okay to call One Rincon Hill Tower 1 a 55 story, 641' tower based on this assumption. If we include all 58 tower levels, plus 5 levels of parking below, we get a total of 63 levels. The 5 lower levels below the main entrance seem to be more than 60 feet deep, bringing the total height from the first floor to the top of the crown at somewhere around, or greater than 700 feet for 63 levels.

Some additional possibilities: The concrete floor slabs may be somewhere around 11" or 12" thick. It is possible that dropped ceilings of some sort may allow for concealing mechanical ducts, plumbing and electrical in the space between the finish ceilings and the concrete floor slabs. This may result in a clear finish floor to finish ceiling height of anywhere between 9 and 10 feet.

Last edited by SFView; Oct 12, 2006 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 5:15 AM
Sonoma Strong

i had to stop by the city to pick up some omanju (japanese sweets)

of course, i also went for a walk with my girl to take a look at some of the construction sites around rincon hill. so ya, heres one rincon. sorry about the poor quality, i just used my cellphone cam:

---
one rincon

2 cranes is better then one, even tho caltrans might be using the other one

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 5:21 PM
Green Berniecrat

I guess thats why they still have a "55-story, 641 foot tall" discription of the tower. I would imagine that if they used all 63 floors, then they'd have a height of roughly 700+ ft, like SFView said. I dunno, I'm trying to understand it myself but I may still be wrong.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 5:14 AM
Kodachrome

I was in town and took a few photos...

Rincons the blue tower on the left.

Last edited by innov8; Oct 16, 2006 at 3:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive