HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsjus View Post
I am very ignorant when it comes to actual workings of development and things like this proposal. I am more of a pipedream person . That idea sounds fantastic and I would have never thought of that. I think the city could then take that money and turn it around for some parking decks(preferably like the new ones in Charleston that are hidden within the interior of a block with very discreet entrance/exits). Those service lots are really putting a halt to downtown development because alot of them are located right off the Dauphin corridor. They were fine when Dow started the string of pearls b/c they provided parking near the on redeveloped area. Now they are preventing the spread of development outside of that area.
I agree that the parking lots are what some term as the "missing teeth" in a smile. There has to be a way to either provide an incentive for them to sell or as indicated earlier, a higher tax that could be used for other downtown projects.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:39 PM
Mobile, Alabama

CSX Building Coming Down!

On the front page of the Mobile Press yesterday they showed a view of Downtown Mobile from Mobile Landing of the CSX Building being demolished. I hope this means construction is soon to follow.

http://www.al.com/press-register/pageone/thursday1b.pdf

Last edited by CottonCity251; Mar 23, 2007 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:52 PM
God help us

It's about damn time. I know the asbestos removal contributed to the delay, but it was beginning to sit for just a tad too long.

"You cannot help men by doing for them when they could and should, do for themselves" - Abraham Lincoln

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 8:43 PM

You mean it's actually going to happen? Wow, I had lost hope on that project.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 12:09 AM

I'm glad that Downtown isn't going through a cool down period!! I still think the court house is a horrible idea. There are huge oak trees and two historic (1800s) town homes that they would have to destroy, and they would have to put another break in the street grid pattern. wish they could find a different place or build up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
I'm glad that Downtown isn't going through a cool down period!! I still think the court house is a horrible idea. There are huge oak trees and two historic (1800s) town homes that they would have to destroy, and they would have to put another break in the street grid pattern. wish they could find a different place or build up.

These should move those homes if at all possible. Mega-movers on the discovery channel style.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:07 PM

maybe. But I would like for them to stay. any I dont like the idea of a futuristic building like that being in the detonti square district. I think they need to find a different place or at least just build up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 8:22 PM

Yea, I'm not too crazy about the new courthouse either.

On a brighter note, here's the Register's pics of the RSA Tower from across the river, as well as a pic of the CSX Building's demolition.

Unfortunatley, their Water Street Landings website is no longer up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 9:58 PM
Mobile, Alabama

Hopefully the lot won't sit empty for long.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 12:46 PM

Here's a shot of the remains of the CSX Building taken on Saturday. I hope the construction process begins as quickly as it went down.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 5:28 PM
Closed account

Mobiles skyline is changing so fast.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve View Post
Here's a shot of the remains of the CSX Building taken on Saturday. I hope the construction process begins as quickly as it went down.

LOL, it took forever to come down.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:27 AM

I'm glad to see the eye sore gone...

300 years of America!

www.cityofmobile.org

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 10:00 PM

iam so happy their finally knocking that down to start construction.......

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
Closed account

My wife is a little upset that they are building towers by the river. She claims it will ruin the area by clogging up views.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:09 PM

I would tell her not to worry to much. there were not that many places that could see the bay anyways. the only view that will be affected will be the view of the riverview hotel. but they can still see the delta.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:52 PM

i've read an article online,chastang has presented this to mayor jones yesterday, about plans to put a 21 story condo where the old courthouse sat.do anyone has a rendering of this?i think it's in today's paper??????

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:26 PM

The article on the courthouse condo site...
Vision of 21-story downtown condo unveiled
Friday, March 30, 2007By DAN MURTAUGHStaff Reporter
A lush, 21-story beige condominium building overlooks a fountain pool surrounded by trees in a conceptual drawing based on Mobile County Commission President Juan Chastang's vision for the old courthouse site in downtown Mobile.

Chastang and John Stainback -- the head of a development firm the county paid to come up with the drawing -- presented the sketch to Mobile Mayor Sam Jones on Thursday, hoping to create a consensus on developing the now-vacant property.

In addition to the condo tower and fountain, the drawing includes a new vision for the nearby Probate Court building. Instead of adding three more stories to the building, Stainback would demolish the current building and create a new one with office space for government and private use.

The first floors of both buildings would be filled with retail space, and a restaurant with a large outdoor eating area would be situated next to the fountain.

The county would contract with a private firm to build the development at an estimated cost of between $85 million and $100 million, said Stainback, president of Stainback Public/Private Real Estate.

The county would reap between $500,000 and $750,000 per year in lease fees, and the complex would create about $1 million per year in both property tax and sales tax revenue, Stainback said.

The property has been a source of contention between city and county leaders since April, when Chastang announced that he wanted to build a condominium tower on the site of the old Mobile County Courthouse, west of Royal Street and between Government and Church streets in downtown Mobile.

Prior to that, the county had planned on building a Mardi Gras-themed park on the site, which would include a fountain or water feature of some kind.

When Jones was a commissioner in 2002, the commission voted to build the park once the courthouse was torn down in 2006.

Jones has steadfastly opposed the development plan since Chastang announced it.

The link to an adobe version of the front page of the register with a rendering is below.
http://www.al.com/press-register/pageone/friday1a.pdf
The picture gets a little distorted when you zoom. I like the look of the building itself, but with the pool and all it looks like it belongs at Gulf Shores, not downtown Mobile. I also thought it was dumb/rude to present this to Mayor Jones, in an attempt to get him on board, and the renderings don't inculde space for the park that Jones wants on the site. I think the park and the retail/condo thing are great ideas. After seeing the renderings, I think that project would be more than downtown could handle as far as condo units. Not everyone who wants a downtown condo wants it in a big brand new building like the ones at the Gulf. This project creates alot of very similar units, maybe more than the market can handle. I also feel like the office space parts of the project are also unnecessary at the moment. We still haven't seen if the RSA Tower's addition to existing office space downtown can be supported. If it was my choice, I say build the park and let the CSX site do condos. All that hinges on a big "if", which is whether or not the CSX condos ever happen. I think we can support one cond/office/retail project, but two at one time seems like a little much.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:05 PM
Mobile, Alabama

I love the design of the proposed condos. I only hope this site is developed in this way, its adds much need beauty to this part of downtown. This site is too large to be used as a Mardi Gras themed park when you have alot of other smaller vacant lots that could be used for a park. Now, both the old courthouse site and the old CSX Building site willl have retail space as well as office space, when you consider the areas where the sites are located both retail and offices can be used. The old CSX Building site, where Waterstreet Landing will stand, will be used by visitors the Maritime Center and the Criuse Terminal will bring whereas the old courthouse site development will be used by general citizens and visitors. I don't believe that the office space in these two projects will affect that of the RSA Tower. If the city plans to have 10,000 residents living downtown by 2010 both projects are needed.

Where is the Probate Court? I thought it was in the old Press-Register Building?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:01 PM

I do not like the plans for the condo tower. Just not in that spot. I think it would be much nicer if the condos were 4-6 stories tall and and left a little bit of room for the park. After all the only surviving piece of the wall of fort conde (early 1700) is sitting on that site. I also like that the Old church there has a nice veiw. also it allows for the oldest sidewalk in Mobile (early 1800s) to be seen and the oldest street light in Mobile to be seen. I do like the building for a different place. I think it needs to be a more Creole or colonial looking building. not floridaish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast