HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:45 AM

Came across a new project for Milan, Italy that featured vertical gardens (bosco verticale by stefano boeri), and I thought if the NCC is so keen on green space on the SJAM parkway, why not try and build the green space upwards in areas where development should occur? (Lebreton Flats, for example)

Another option for LeBreton Flats - something like this project from Zaha Hadid and Norman Foster for two towers and a what could be a stadium or a potential large-scale library or museum:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Came across a new project for Milan, Italy that featured vertical gardens (bosco verticale by stefano boeri), and I thought if the NCC is so keen on green space on the SJAM parkway, why not try and build the green space upwards in areas where development should occur? (Lebreton Flats, for example)

This was really neat! I didn't like it at first, but it is interesting. It reminds me of One Central Park in Sydney, which is another example of creating a "vertical garden".

Another building, unrelated to vertical gardens, in Sydney is 333 George Street. I like it's rounded shape and terraces on the top. I don't think I'd put it in the CBD, but maybe on the edge.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Another building, unrelated to vertical gardens, in Sydney is 333 George Street. I like it's rounded shape and terraces on the top. I don't think I'd put it in the CBD, but maybe on the edge.

*drool* Good call! That's a great looking building. I really like those terraces. The overall shape of the building would be a nice change for Ottawa alone... I agree it probably should be placed right in the CBD, it deserves a bit more prominence - it could get lost otherwise...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 3:45 PM

Another possibility for a new Science and Tech Museum on LeBreton Flats:
SCIENCE HILLS KOMATSU BY MARI ITO/UAO

Actually, I could even see this on a portion of the Experimental Farm used for Scientific purposes (labs and such, maybe even a joint initiative with Algonquin College or Carleton University to provide off-campus learning facilities)...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:

Would love it as a replacement to some of the 70s, 80s buildings on Sparks.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 9:48 PM

I agree. Also, in terms of street-scaping for Sparks, the 2nd (smallest) image has something more along the lines of what I think should be done - attractive, higher-end interlocking along with minimalist lighting.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post

I agree. Also, in terms of street-scaping for Sparks, the 2nd (smallest) image has something more along the lines of what I think should be done - attractive, higher-end interlocking along with minimalist lighting.
And light rail as part of the Downtown Loop.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:32 PM

I would love to see something like the Hullmark Centre for the corner of Rideau and King Edward. Adding office, condos, a nice open public plaza and some sort of artwork would really liven up and beautify this part of town, hopefully further sparking the redevelopment of Rideau Street.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I would love to see something like the Hullmark Centre for the corner of Rideau and King Edward. Adding office, condos, a nice open public plaza and some sort of artwork would really liven up and beautify this part of town, hopefully further sparking the redevelopment of Rideau Street.
But....but....that's not 27 OR 28 stories....

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:03 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:20 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I just did a double-take on this image. It looks remarkably like the layout of the Parliament buildings with the Centre, West and East blocks and the lawn. Stick an eternal flame in there somewhere and it's all set. Look... there's even an STO bus on Wellington ;-)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 4:13 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 1:50 PM

Building under a park thing looks somewhat like the Bank of Canada plaza project;

https://twitter.com/bankofcanada/media

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
I could totally something like this for Lansdowne:

This would be a great replacement for the City of Ottawa parking garage in the Market.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:26 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This would be a great replacement for the City of Ottawa parking garage in the Market.
I would rather that they demolish that parking garage and then dig an equivalent underground garage with a space on the ground for a proper open air market. With the coming of the LRT just a block away, the ByWard Market needs more space for more people to just hang out.

Instead of the cramped linear corridors hemmed in by cars, it would be nice to have a more free-flowing european style market square:

I would also love to see the streets beside the market building decluttered and pedestrianized (at least for the summer months) with places to sit and eat street food like in Boston's Quincy Market, which has the same bones as the ByWard Market (a central market building lined with store fronts on either side) but they've managed to make room for more people and activities like busking and sidewalk cafes while providing relatively uncluttered photo ops for tourists.

Sounds like a bizarre twist, but if they treated the ByWard market area streets like they did Lansdowne, blurring the boundaries between street and sidewalk, we'd have a much more liveable space that is flexible in the different seasons by allowing cars only on certain weekdays and/or cold months.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:45 AM

I would really like to see the city try and keep at least a part of the experimental home producing food. Perhaps build social housing using underground eco architecture, employing the people who are in the homes in the process. Something like this, for example

Would also be a cool way to generate interest in the area, especially from toursits.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:55 AM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 4:04 AM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 4:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
This last one reminds me of the proposals for Standard Life Centre III.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=176185

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion