HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:22 AM

High Museum property in play

There are two offers for the site. Alvin James and an undisclosed potential buyer that is said to be a "well funded" public company. John Weiland expects to make a deal in the next 30 days.

Alvin James says he has an agreement with an international hotel brand to flag the hotel in his project and would like to break ground this year. His plan has been significantly downsized to a single, taller tower that will be designed by a new architecture firm.

Here is the rendering that appeared in the Business Chronicle a couple of years ago when the James project was originally announced.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 9:26 PM

Novare to present revised 100 6th Street

Quote:
Novare is set to present revised plans for their 23-story 320-unit luxury apartment community to the Midtown Development Committee (DRC) next week. Patch has learned that this includes active uses along the entirety of Juniper St., and street-level retail turning the corner at Juniper and 7th into a linear park and dog park on 7th.

In May, Jim Borders, president of Novare Group, which along with Batson-Cook Development Co. is planning to build the mixed-use tower along Juniper Street between 6th and 7th streets, presented a plan to DRC that included seven variances, six of which were approved at the meeting.

After hearing comments from the DRC, as well as from concerned Midtown residents, Borders and his team will present a revised urban design plan next Tuesday that that they feel will be beneficial to the Midtown community.
http://midtown.patch.com/articles/no...ety-of-juniper

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I wonder when construction will start. With as fast as they built the last one it'll only take them 3 months. lol

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 10:40 AM

^^Excellent changes. Although it does make me wonder if they originally proposed crap on purpose, then made some changes just so they could say they were being responsive to the community. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:08 PM

Civil Rights Center moves forward after long delay

Quote:
The National Center for Civil and Human Rights expects to break ground June 27, almost four years after the city of Atlanta's economic development arm approved a large portion of the project's funding.

In December, center leaders decided to build the project in three phases. The first phase, which begins this month, will open Memorial Day 2014. The cost and timing of the next phases will depend on fundraising.
http://www.ajc.com/business/civil-ri...s-1456171.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^^Excellent changes. Although it does make me wonder if they originally proposed crap on purpose, then made some changes just so they could say they were being responsive to the community. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.
IMO it still sucks that the deck will be of the bunker variety and they are going to leave that weird cutout on 6th street between Sprint and the new building.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Looks really cool, I dont see how they could add onto the structure at a later date though, would it be a totally different building? Nice to see a firm (I hope) construction start date thats right around the corner.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:45 PM

Skyhouse progress

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:46 PM

77 12th Street Virtual Animation

I guess they want to remind everyone about their building since it looks like Skyhouse will top out before the 77 12th parking structure does.

Webcam

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:21 PM

Panel supports Georgia Tech’s plans

Quote:
The Georgia Tech Foundation won a major victory this week in its quest to demolish most of the historic Crum & Forster building at 771 Spring St. in Midtown.

“Based on our review, the Economic Review Panel is in unanimous agreement that a reasonable economic return cannot be achieved under any methodology that involves renovating the existing structure and that the applicant’s suggested approach to saving the façade and a small component of the structure as part of a new development is both gracious and fair given the current real estate environment,” wrote John D. Shelsinger, one of the three members of the panel.

The Economic Review Panel’s report not only supported Georgia Tech’s position that it did not make economic sense to restore the entire building. It also went out of its way to praise Georgia Tech’s contributions to the city.

“Applicant has a history of historic preservation where appropriate so the Economic Review Board felt that a great deal of thought and planning went into the decision,” the letter stated. It also added: “The proposed development will benefit the city and be an extension of the surrounding neighborhoods.”

Panel supports Georgia Tech Foundation’s plan to demolish most of historic Crum & Forster building

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:25 PM

Damn. It seems like they could "benefit the city and be an extension of the surrounding neighborhoods" AND preserve a beautiful historic structure. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Damn. It seems like they could "benefit the city and be an extension of the surrounding neighborhoods" AND preserve a beautiful historic structure. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Did you guys see this part: If the panel’s report stands, the Georgia Tech Foundation likely could go ahead with its plans to demolish two-thirds of the Crum & Forster building.

This was the solution we all liked right? Keeps the look but lets Ga Tech have a modern interior?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 4:53 PM

Midtown DRC to Review Two New Developments

Georgia Proton Treatment Center

Emory has filed plans with the DRC for a 100,000 square-foot, cancer-treating proton facility at the former of site of the 615 Peachtree building.
Emory reportedly has the site under contract.

$225M cancer-treating proton facility

131 Ponce de Leon Avenue

Plans have also been filed with the DRC for 285 apartments built above a parking podium with ground-level retail space at 131 Ponce de Leon Avenue, which is at the corner of Ponce and Juniper Street. Charlotte, N.C.-based Faison Properties is expected to be among a team presenting its application to the DRC next week.

Application Submitted for New Midtown Mixed-Use Tower

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:31 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Georgia Proton Treatment Center

Emory has filed plans with the DRC for a 100,000 square-foot, cancer-treating proton facility at the former of site of the 615 Peachtree building.
Emory reportedly has the site under contract.

$225M cancer-treating proton facility

131 Ponce de Leon Avenue

Plans have also been filed with the DRC for 285 apartments built above a parking podium with ground-level retail space at 131 Ponce de Leon Avenue, which is at the corner of Ponce and Juniper Street. Charlotte, N.C.-based Faison Properties is expected to be among a team presenting its application to the DRC next week.

Application Submitted for New Midtown Mixed-Use Tower
So will there be any store fronts in the Emory building or will it be like all the other medical buildings? From what I understand everything has to have some retail type frontage if it's on P'tree or in the Downtown/Midtown area. How many floors with this be?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
So will there be any store fronts in the Emory building or will it be like all the other medical buildings? From what I understand everything has to have some retail type frontage if it's on P'tree or in the Downtown/Midtown area. How many floors with this be?
This third hand but I did read a comment on another site that mentioned a rendering with retail on Peachtree but not on North Ave. I have no idea about the number of floors.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 9:35 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
This third hand but I did read a comment on another site that mentioned a rendering with retail on Peachtree but not on North Ave. I have no idea about the number of floors.
I saw plans showing about 4000 sf of retail on Peachtree fronting a parking deck, but nothing on any of the other streets. There is a curb cut leading to a dropoff from Ponce, and a parking deck entrance on North Avenue. The main entrance faces the dropoff in the interior of the block. The project is two stories at Peachtree and three at the intersection of Juniper and North.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmccleod View Post
I saw plans showing about 4000 sf of retail on Peachtree fronting a parking deck, but nothing on any of the other streets. There is a curb cut leading to a dropoff from Ponce, and a parking deck entrance on North Avenue. The main entrance faces the dropoff in the interior of the block. The project is two stories at Peachtree and three at the intersection of Juniper and North.

3 Floors!?!?! What a waste...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
3 Floors!?!?! What a waste...
Tell me about it. There was a proposal to prepare the building for future vertical expansion but it was rejected. You can't build above the proton vaults, but you could certainly build above the rest of the site. The plans are still preliminary, so hopefully they will change.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmccleod View Post
So I'm assuming they will use the entire site which is large enough for two or three highrises, for a 100,000 sf building. That SUCKS!

BTW were there any more details on the apartment project?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 10:22 PM

Rendering of Camden Paces that will be built at 77 E Andrews Ave, site of the old 'The Paces' apartments in Buckhead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta