HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:41 PM

[Dartmouth] Coast Guard Headquarters | ? m | 5 fl | Completed

DFO Minister Gail Shea will soon announce that a tender has been issued to design and construct a new Canadian Coast Guard regional headquarters building in Dartmouth at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography. Construction is expected to begin in early 2010 with a completion date of summer 2011.

The new building will bring together Coast Guard Maritimes Region employees who are currently located at the CCG Base on Parker Street and the office on Portland Street in Dartmouth. This is one in a series of regional projects to support the planned divestiture of the Parker Street Base, which also involves the relocation of all fleet vessels to BIO.

I have heard from sources in the department that the building will be about 5 floors high and will be built to a LEED standard. The approximate location will be near: 1 Discovery Dr., Dartmouth, NS.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:45 PM

Minister Shea Announces New CCG Maritimes Headquarters for Dartmouth

November 25, 2009

DARTMOUTH, Nova Scotia - The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, is pleased to announce the tender call for companies interested in designing and building a new headquarters for the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) Maritimes Region.

“Our Government is committed to ensuring Canadian Coast Guard employees have the facilities they need to carry out their important work on behalf of Canadians,” Minister Shea said. “This project is one of a series of activities being undertaken to consolidate CCG operations in the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO), which will lead to more effective program delivery in the region.”

A tender call has been issued on behalf of the department by Public Works and Government Services Canada. The tender closes in January 2010.

A contract is expected to be awarded early in 2010 with construction completed by summer 2011.

The new 3,724 square metres headquarters will be located on the campus of the world-renowned BIO and will incorporate environmentally sustainable design features such as a “green” roof, optimal use of sunlight exposure to the site, and the use of recycled building materials.

A number of CCG activities, including fleet operations, have already moved to BIO from the current Dartmouth base.

The move will create efficiencies by bringing together Fisheries and Oceans Canada and CCG functions as well as better linking CCG with its Marine Communications and Traffic Services Centre at Shannon Hill, near BIO.

More than 160 CCG employees currently working at two locations in Dartmouth will move to the new building.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/npres.../mar16-eng.htm

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:09 PM

Hmm wonder if that means the existing coast guard base will be surplus in a few years.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:13 PM

^Hopefully the current base could be a great spot for a mini waterfront area in Dartmouth.

I'ts nice to see it being built to LEED standards. That are right now could do with some improvments that something like this will bring.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Hopefully the current base could be a great spot for a mini waterfront area in Dartmouth.

I'ts nice to see it being built to LEED standards. That are right now could do with some improvments that something like this will bring.
I wish more private developers would consider the benefits of building their buildings to LEED standards, as the majority of buildings built to those standards around here are only government owned buildings.

I believe the only private built building i know of is Park Place V in dartmouth.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 6:45 PM

Does anybody know who received the tender or what the construction schedule is going to look like?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 10:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

By Me.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2010, 10:57 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I guess this can be changed from Tender to U/C

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 12:41 AM

Wow, they moved quick! Less than a year from announcement to construction underway.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:21 AM

I guess this makes the crane count 11?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 11:08 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'll try to get some pics from Seaview Park once the building begins to grow. Seaview will be a good place to watch this go up.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I'll try to get some pics from Seaview Park once the building begins to grow. Seaview will be a good place to watch this go up.
You can kill two updates with one stone by going to Bayview Condos site as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 3:26 PM

From today's Herald:

Dartmouth company wins $14.5-million contract to build coast guard headquarters

By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Sun, Sep 12 - 11:44 AM

(Artist's design / contributed)

The Canadian Coast Guard is one step closer to moving into its long-awaited new headquarters with the announcement that the $14.5-million construction contract has been awarded.

The facility will be built at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography site in Dartmouth and is expected to open in November of next year.
The job of constructing the five-storey building goes to PCL Contractors Canada of Dartmouth, which also recently won the bid to build the new RCMP headquarters in Burnside.

The announcement was made Sunday at BIO by Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Gail Shea, minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

Standing dockside with flag-ship research vessel CCGS Hudson nearby, MacKay lauded the coast guard for its vital role in policing the country's waterways, search and rescue efforts as well as taking part in vital ocean research.

"They are a part of our culture, our history and economy and have an impact on the lives of all Canadians," he said.

Shea acknowledged that the new facility, which will replace a century-old base off Parker Street in Dartmouth, is long overdue.

"It's been a work in progress for approximately 10 years, so it's good to see construction starting here," she said.

She said along with the new office building, a shipyard will be built to accommodate coast guard vessels.

About 160 coast guard employees currently work at two different sites.

The new 3,724-square-metre building will be built with environmentally friendly features such as a "green" roof, recycled materials and a cooling system using seawater from the Bedford Basin.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:10 PM
Honored Member

This looks quite decent.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:31 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I guess this makes the crane count 11?
One thing is for sure. Dartmouth will always have at least 1 crane thanks to the metal yard of Wright in Burnside.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 5:22 PM

^That does look good.

One thing I'm wondering is why are they building their HQ at BIO if all of the Coast Guard facilities are down towards Woodside?

Does this mean when this building and shipyard are complete the current site will be up for redevelopment?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:28 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^That does look good.

One thing I'm wondering is why are they building their HQ at BIO if all of the Coast Guard facilities are down towards Woodside?

Does this mean when this building and shipyard are complete the current site will be up for redevelopment?
Yup. I read in AllNovaScotia today that the site will 1st be offered to other federal departments to see if they are interested, followed by the province, followed b the city. If none of them are interested in purchasing then it will go in the open market.

Apparently fleet operations have already moved to BIO, and all 160 employees of the CG will be at the new site once it is completed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:04 PM

The new building looks great! And as much as I want to see that site on the Dartmouth Cove go up for redevelopment I think it was a bad move for the Coast Guard. I have a friend who works there and she hates that they are moving to Bedford. The site in Dartmouth Cove is a better location to serve the entire harbour in case of emergencies. It's more of a central location.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:19 PM

From Sept 9. More to come.

Source: me

Last edited by macgregor; Sep 24, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Date error

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:23 PM
You talkin' to me?

^Are they taking the crane down???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs