HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:23 PM
Honored Member

Which of the following cities will reach 1 million first??

Quebec - 728,924
Hamilton - 720,426
Winnipeg - 712,671

I'm interested to see how this race will play out in the coming years. It got me to asking which city of these will hit 1 million first. I think Winnipeg has the most potential (immigration and central location), but I feel Hamilton has the better economic environment (proximity to TO). I don't know much about Quebec City, other than I heard that most people are moving there from the rural parts of Quebec, so I don't know how good their in-migration would be.

I would have to chose between Hamilton and Winnipeg, thinking that both cities may surpass Quebec City sometime in the future. Seeing as how things are at this moment, I would say Hamilton, but seeing as how things are predicted to be in the future, I would have to say Winnipeg. As you can see, it's tough for me to choose. All three may be knocking on the 1 million door about 20-25 years from now at the rate these cities are growing.

Could all three cities be neck-and-neck-and-neck for the extended future??

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
I am a typical

If I was a moderator, I would just lock this now and be done with the whole thing.

Let's just say Kitchener and call it a day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:27 PM

Why not Quebec city , it had the best growth last year with + 8000 peoples , compared to +5000 for winnipeg and + 2000 for hamilton .

Wow it grew more than both other cities together.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If I was a moderator, I would just lock this now and be done with the whole thing.

Let's just say Kitchener and call it a day.
My intention was not to start a flame war. I was hoping that there could be a civilized discussion about it.

If you're sure that personal attacks will ensue, then I'm sorry for bringing it up.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:29 PM
The good old days are now

You're underestimating Quebec City a little bit. It has a very strong economy and is practically begging people to come there and work!

However, I don't see any of the three reaching a million anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presswood View Post
Why not Quebec city , it has the best growth last year with + 8000 people , compared to +5000 for winnipeg and + 2000 for hamilton .

Wow it grew more than both other cities together.
(My French is really bad, but I'm gonna take this opportunity to bone up on it.)

Presswood, pourquoi pensez-vous le Québec se développe-t-vous si rapide ? Y a-t-il beaucoup de personnes se déplaçant là d'autres provinces??

(I'll switch back to Anglais from here on out.)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:31 PM
Look at me!

Quebec has a very stable economy and job market but this is offset by the almost non-existent immigration. Once I was in Quebec and I saw a black dude and I was like Wow! As it turns out he was from Montreal

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:37 PM
I am a typical

Really? Even Thunder Bay has black people straight from Africa. And much of Africa speaks French.

I think I would guess Quebec City as well. You never hear anything about it so lots of people don't know how fast it really is growing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:38 PM
Go Chiefs!

I think Quebec City will reach the million mark first. The city is growing faster and faster. I think that Quebec grew faster than Montreal (not sure).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:42 PM
I am a typical

Quebec did grow faster. Montreal has been relatively stagnant for some time. The Quebec government seems to treat it like how the Feds treat Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:43 PM
Back from the dead

Actually, I'm going to go with Hamilton.

The reason is because it has the greatest potential of all three to reach one million first. All three cities are experiencing an economic boom of sorts but the difference is location. Hamilton is ideally situated in this respect. Of course, it all hinges on Hamilton actually taking advantage of this situation but eventually, with an ever-expanding GTA, sooner or later Hamilton is going to see a major influx as room runs out for the GTA. As it stands , Hamilton might remain a slower growth place for a while but within a decade or two it should pick up dramatically. In that time it's unlikely that any of these cities will have reached a million so barring population boom in Quebec or Winnipeg, Hamilton strikes me as the most likely winner in this race.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:45 PM
Look at me!

Montreal is getting consistently raped by Quebec, we're half of the province's population and THE major economic motor and we get didly squat for it. Our roads are falling apart (and crushing people as a result) and our hospitals are a haven for bacteria but who cares, were just some filthy immigrant infested hole, according to the bureaucrats that run the province.

AS for the Big Q, she's something like 96% white, catholic and french speaking. There's actually some 7000 unilingual english speakers living there, which strikes me as odd.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hammer'd

I'd say Quebec since it has the lead, but Hamilton will follow closely. Hamilton will be experiencing a boom but it's probably another 5 years away, it may be a gradual boom. I'm not at all familiar with Winnipeg so I'm not taking it into account.

Either way all 3 will be up there in the next 20 years. The bleed over from the GTA is gonna help Hamilton out a LOT. Bedroom community? Meh.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:10 AM

I see black people everyday in Quebec.... Mostly young people too.

Y a-t-il beaucoup de personnes se déplaçant là d'autres provinces??

No but a lot of people from rural region in the province come live here , that and a lot of French from france .

Je pense que les 3 villes vont resté pas mal égal , c'a métonnerais qu'une d'entre elle se démarque des autres.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:16 AM
Look at me!

Quote:

No but a lot of people from rural region in the province come live here , that and a lot of French from france .
combiens environ?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:18 AM

Je sais pas combien mais je travail avec une bretonne et depuis 1-2 ans il arrive souvent d'entendre parler avec l'accent francais , ce qui etais plustot rare avant.

Chose que je sais c'est qu'il sont les principaux immigrant qui vienne s'établir ici.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:21 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Je sais pas combien mais je travail avec une bretonne et depuis 1-2 ans il arrive souvent d'entendre parler avec l'accent francais , ce qui etais plustot rare avant.

Chose que je sais c'est qu'il sont les principaux immigrant qui vienne s'établir ici.
Avez-vous beaucoup d'immigrants d'autres pays qui vient en masse au Ville du Quebec? Si non, pourquoi pas?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:28 AM

non pas beaucoup , mise a part quelque sud américain qui parle espagnol et qui apprennent rapidement le francais .

Si non, pourquoi pas?

Parce que la pluspart des immigrant qui viennent en amerique du nord veulent vivre en anglais et il sont attiré par les grosses villes .

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:40 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Well....this is gay. Who do you think you guys are, making me feel stupid.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:42 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Well....this is gay. Who do you think you guys are, making me feel stupid.
Lol, vid would come to translate this with Google!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada