HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 PM

http://bosaproperties.com/projects/p...n-vancouver-bc

I had posted this awhile back. I think First South would have been absolutely fantastic to have. I realize the city wanted a residential component to it, so something like this would have been perfect.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
This was a cool proposal. But it is only 3.6 FAR. Even without bonusing, this could be 5.0 FAR pure commercial and 8.0 FAR mixed use. They can get up to 12.0 FAR with bonusing and incorporating residential. Put simply, you could put 150 stories of residential towers on this site within the allowable density. Anyone want to see 3 50 storey towers?
I'd rather have First South as it is. 3 x 50 storeys would mean that site would stay under construction for probably 15-20 years. First South as proposed would likely be done within a couple of years and would be a fantastic amenity for those of us living in the area.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Sorry, I meant three 50 storey buildings on top of the proposed 4 storey podium. They can be stepped back 6m or so. Other than the residential lobbies (which can be made fairly internal), the impact on the existing building is minimal. Well, other than perhaps a couple more parking levels.
Ok, in that case, I'll reconsider!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:26 PM

^ Never seen that First South render before, but IIRC that project is dead .. I think in discussions with the City, as you guys have mentioned above, is that they want more density added to the site (which didn't work with the current economics in what the developer had come up with) .. So the developer might be back to the drawing board on it .. Personally I'd like a 40-50 storey mixed use tower on it, but that's me

That parcel is one of the best pieces of commercial redevelopment land so a tall dense building, with those type of retail uses would be awesome .. Almost like a major retail hub for the Beltline offering loads of amenities to those residents in Keynote, Guardian, Alura, Sasso, etc

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
^ Never seen that First South render before, but IIRC that project is dead .. I think in discussions with the City, as you guys have mentioned above, is that they want more density added to the site (which didn't work with the current economics in what the developer had come up with) .. So the developer might be back to the drawing board on it .. Personally I'd like a 40-50 storey mixed use tower on it, but that's me

That parcel is one of the best pieces of commercial redevelopment land so a tall dense building, with those type of retail uses would be awesome .. Almost like a major retail hub for the Beltline offering loads of amenities to those residents in Keynote, Guardian, Alura, Sasso, etc
I would support either way. 4 storey or 4 storey + towers. Either way it is a significant draw to the neighbourhood. The more they can pack onto the site the better, but it is not like the area will be short on 25-50 storey condos in the future. If anything, building just the base would be a huge amenity to boost other developments trying to sell condos.

They probably should have allowed it. IMO anyways

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:15 AM

Even if the economics for the retail only project worked out, I think they would have been crazy (and short sighted) to leave that much density on the table.

Building a similar retail podium with the option for phased towers on top would be a much smarter way to develop that parcel.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Even if the economics for the retail only project worked out, I think they would have been crazy (and short sighted) to leave that much density on the table.

Building a similar retail podium with the option for phased towers on top would be a much smarter way to develop that parcel.
Due to the need for structural columns that a tower requires, you would never be able to build a similar retail podium, with future tower phases. I imagine one of the big advantages that proposal had was fewer columns, allowing for much larger, open floor plans that major retailers prefer.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:28 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Due to the need for structural columns that a tower requires, you would never be able to build a similar retail podium, with future tower phases. I imagine one of the big advantages that proposal had was fewer columns, allowing for much larger, open floor plans that major retailers prefer.
Then put the towers on the west end of the site. The large retailers looked to be located on the east. It is possible. Leaving over 8 FAR completely off the table seems pretty ridiculous given the cost of consolidating the land. But then again, I am not financing this project, so I my opinion carries no weight.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
You can see the structural columns in the floor plans: http://pcurban.ca/wp/wp-content/uplo...h_Brochure.pdf

Might be possible to add towers to the west end as long as you avoid the loading area on the ground floor, where columns have been removed (those must be pretty massive beams above).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 11:00 PM
BANNED

I always liked this one. I see it as if the developer left extra FAR on the table, that's their problem. I'd take all that retail, rather than a parking lot in a currently sketchy block. Hope this doesn't mean a 10 year delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post
A Canadian Tire and a Cineplex in Victoria park would really help round out this community. As a resident it would be great to be able to pick up the the kinds of household items that aren't sold at Shoppers and currently require me to get in my car. It would also be great to not have to walk all the way to eau claire to see a movie. I think this project would really add a lot to the livability here even if it isn't enough of a "mixed use" for the city

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:32 PM

I saw signage up today that a 10,000 Villages location is going on 17th Ave where the failed restaurant Anous was located.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
I saw signage up today that a 10,000 Villages location is going on 17th Ave where the failed restaurant Anous was located.
I was wondering where it was going. They had a sign on their Crowchild location saying that a third location was coming soon.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 11:16 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
Good stuff!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Anybody know when the new retail and Good Life Fitness will be open at Mount Royal Village? Hoping by summer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:46 AM
not a NIMBY

Cineplex is opening in Seton later this year. They are going to have 3 V.I.P. theatres as well as theatres for the commoners. It should be an instant success since there aren't too many movie theatres in south Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:28 AM
BANNED

New retail on 17th
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^Also nearby, and not directly food related, though I'm sure it will involve some new restos, but I noticed a new rendering at the site of the former td on 9A street. Expansion on both sides of the existing improvement, and a total renovation in and out of an ugly, outdated building. Looks like they're planing to get going soon. Good stuff.

6th slide:
http://www.mdcproperties.ca/properties/show/38

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:35 AM
not a NIMBY

Neal's Yard Remedies from England is opening their Canadian flagship store somewhere on 4th St. in Mission.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 8:09 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

is that just a reskinning of the existing building?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Neal's Yard Remedies from England is opening their Canadian flagship store somewhere on 4th St. in Mission.
They are leasing in the Maxwell Bates Building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy