HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:00 AM

across the world to St. John's

Hi,

I'm a master student who would like to complete a phD at memorial university, and I have many questions in my mind.

Money is a big concern for me, since I don't have much saving, and the whole phD thing will go away if I don't have enough money to keep me going.

1. I have asked the university about how much I should have in my bank account to show that I can support my education, I didn't get any answers yet, any ideas?

2. I was thinking about on-campus housing , burton's pond apartment which cost 1822 CAD per semester, that means 610 CAD per month(including electricity , internet access, and it is written in their website that it is minutes waking from the campus, so no transportation fees), that seems good, right?, though I don't like the idea of sharing the bathroom with 3 people , I'm just not used to it.

3.I think that Cooking my own food will cost less than the meal plan, which is ranging from 2140-2300 CAD, since there is a kitchen in burton's pond apartment, not that I am a great cook, I guess mac and cheese will do the job .

4. What should I expect for a monthly living expense? , the average please, keep in mind that I have a weak point for coffee shop, but I will cut them down if I have to.

5. The international student can get a job after 6 months of school, of course it should be part time wither in-campus or off- campus, so is it easy to get a job after 6 months? how much I'll get paid, approximately?

6. Can I pursue my pharmacy license with the student visa, is it legal?, I read that it takes 3 exams and approximately 2 years of training to get the license, so if it is ok to pursue my license while doing my phD, will I get paid through the 2 years of training? and how much would that be?, how is the pharmacy job market in St. John's ?, and , how much is the salary of a licensed pharmacist?

thanks in advance and excuse my poor english.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 10:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I can only help with 2-4.

On-campus housing is much cheaper than off-campus housing if you plan to live alone. It is more expensive, however, than renting and sharing a house with 2-3 other students. The Burton's Pond apartments are part of the overall campus so it's definitely within walking distance of your classes.

If you're comfortable cooking your own meals, it's almost certainly cheaper and healthier. There are also fast food chains on campus, as well as a Chinese specialty store if that interests you.

Your monthly expenses can vary tremendously depending on what you enjoy doing. There are lots of free activities, but there are lots of coffee shops, etc., as well. If you're just getting coffee while out for a walk, it wouldn't cost more than $5/trip. If you're going out to a nightclub, $20 will cover admission and a couple of drinks.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:15 PM

Hey! I'm also a graduate student at Memorial University so I may be able to help you a lot. As soon as I get home I'll start responding in detail to your concerns

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
1. I have asked the university about how much I should have in my bank account to show that I can support my education, I didn't get any answers yet, any ideas?
Is this something the university specifically states you need to do? I'm a local student so I'm not sure if it's different for international students, but this isn't anything I had to do. This may be an issue with Canadian Border Services when entering the country; they may need to know how much you have.

Quote:
2. I was thinking about on-campus housing , burton's pond apartment which cost 1822 CAD per semester, that means 610 CAD per month(including electricity , internet access, and it is written in their website that it is minutes waking from the campus, so no transportation fees), that seems good, right?, though I don't like the idea of sharing the bathroom with 3 people , I'm just not used to it.
610 a month including all of that is a pretty decent deal. Your typical rent for an off-campus house will be about 450 not including electricity, internet, and other things, so it comes to be about even, maybe even slightly cheaper. The big winner is the location, it's on the corner of campus in a nice neighbourhood, so you can walk to the nearest campus building in less than 5 minutes. There's also plenty of amenities nearby, and close bus stops if you need to go anywhere else in the city. Sharing a bathroom with a few others is an inconvenience but not as bad as in the huge undergraduate res houses where one bathroom is shared among 10 plus people. As well, the Burtons Pond bathrooms are more what you'd expect in a regular home; one toilet, one shower, one sink. You're only sharing with your "roommates", which is basically the 2-3 other people sharing your apartment (don't worry, you each have your own private room, just the kitchen, bathroom, and living room are shared).

Quote:
3.I think that Cooking my own food will cost less than the meal plan, which is ranging from 2140-2300 CAD, since there is a kitchen in burton's pond apartment, not that I am a great cook, I guess mac and cheese will do the job .
Cooking for yourself will definitely be cheaper. The meal plans are expensive, and the quality of food is much lower than you'd be able to make yourself. Plus it's much healthier!

Quote:
4. What should I expect for a monthly living expense? , the average please, keep in mind that I have a weak point for coffee shop, but I will cut them down if I have to.
Depends on what else you like to do. The city can be cheap, or expensive, depending on your lifestyle. If you like coffee that can be cheap, and your living expense can be quite low. If you decide you'd like to indulge in the nightlife a little more, then things can get expensive. It's very easy to have fun on a budget though, the campus often has a lot of free events where you can meet other students

Quote:
5. The international student can get a job after 6 months of school, of course it should be part time wither in-campus or off- campus, so is it easy to get a job after 6 months? how much I'll get paid, approximately?
First I should ask what PhD program you're starting. I know for a lot of programs in the sciences, and as well in medical/pharmacological areas that you're given a yearly amount of funding which basically acts as a pay cheque. As an example, I'm funded by a federal government grant, and that lump sum of money is broken down and given to me as a cheque every 2 weeks, most other students are the same. Part time jobs are definitely out there, and pay at least $10 an hour. Also depending on your PhD program, your supervisor may not want you to get another job, especially if you're already getting paid. But it also depends on your specific situation; if you're finding money tight you may have to get a job regardless.

Quote:
6. Can I pursue my pharmacy license with the student visa, is it legal?, I read that it takes 3 exams and approximately 2 years of training to get the license, so if it is ok to pursue my license while doing my phD, will I get paid through the 2 years of training? and how much would that be?, how is the pharmacy job market in St. John's ?, and , how much is the salary of a licensed pharmacist?
I can't answer much about this question. I'm not sure if you can work with a student visa, you may also need a work visa? But I can't be sure. Pharmacists are always needed, but not so much in St. John's as other parts of the province. Overall the pay for a pharmacist is really good, but it depends on which company you're working for.

Quote:
thanks in advance and excuse my poor english.
No problem! I can try and help you with any other questions you may have. I know it can be a big move to go somewhere you've never been before for school. There are plenty of people in my research group who managed to get to MUN safe and sound so I'm sure you'll be fine. And your English is great!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's