HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I think the new Buckingham design (especially the colors used) is a little better than the previous, but I didn't mind the old one. I'm not too sure about the modern section (where the hotel is I think) to the far left, but depending on the materials used it might turn out fine (hopefully not stucco,but that's more than likely what we'll get).

Anyways, I'm glad to see that this will hopefully break ground here pretty soon.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 6:34 PM

I can see how people would say that this new design looks a little more bland then the previous (because it kind of does seem that way), but as we all know it's hard to tell how this will turn out based on looking at a rendering. It could end up looking better then the render, or even worse. Time will tell. I'm sure once completed it will probably have more of a contrast in colors then what the rendering is showing. I mean, it is just a rendering...and surely there will be changes made along the way.

While definitely not as colorful as the previous design, (which I didn't mind either by the way), I still think it looks great! The overall size and scope of the project is pretty much the same, and this will be huge for the area given it's location. I'm completely thrilled that this project is moving forward.

Now let's bring on some more...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
Look's like the Buckingham project is getting ready to start.

Buckingham development on 21st Ave. S. across from Vanderbilt moves ahead
Work may start soon for large $120 million-plus mixed-use project

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...095/BUSINESS02
Hmm, I can't recall hearing of this project before (I'm sure it's been mentioned here but I didn't put it in long-term memory). Depending on what "21st Ave. S. across from Vanderbilt" means, I'm not sure where this is -- I can't think of any places which match that description and look like they're getting ready to have demolition happen. Someone enlighten me?

Also, I think that rendering is ugly as hell. It has a very suburban look to it, in my estimation. Maybe it won't be so bad once it's built; I'll reserve further judgment on it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:23 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
Hmm, I can't recall hearing of this project before (I'm sure it's been mentioned here but I didn't put it in long-term memory). Depending on what "21st Ave. S. across from Vanderbilt" means, I'm not sure where this is -- I can't think of any places which match that description and look like they're getting ready to have demolition happen. Someone enlighten me?

Also, I think that rendering is ugly as hell. It has a very suburban look to it, in my estimation. Maybe it won't be so bad once it's built; I'll reserve further judgment on it.

and...

It will be a classy building and fit into the neighborhood just fine.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:19 PM

I see -- thanks for the illustrative graphic. Had no idea a big project was planned for that spot. And I'm glad to see Mellow Mushroom doesn't have to go anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 10:06 PM

Thank God one major planned project is about to get underway. The Buckingham will certainly have a major impact on the areas of Division, Broadway and 21st. It is a massive infill project with decent height for the area. While I like taller structures, a taller structure on this site wouldn't have that much of an impact unless it approached 25-30 stories. It's the massiveness of this structure at street level that will have the most impact.

The WES project is actually starting to be an annoyance. Get it done already. If AP doesn't get this done, I wonder if TG is waiting by to lure HCA and IC into his fold.

Question, I was in Nashville labor day weekend and drove along Broadway/West End. If the WES is built shouldn't the city do something to bring development to the car lot locations? I know that the dealerships have remodeled and expanded, but what a waste of land. It effectively becomes dead space. It needs proper infill of office, retail, dinning and residential complexes so that it becomes a living, working and entertainment expansion of downtown. I can't imagine a cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and even Austin and Charlotte with car dealerships in such a crucial development zone.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Future God

I don't mind the Buckingham Development. It looks like an upscale ski-lodge in Aspen or something.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 2:37 PM

*Sigh* I find it hard to believe that this is the best they could come up with for an art design on the roundabout. I mean, it just looks soo stupid!... I'm rather appalled by this actually.

SoBro roundabout public art to be most expensive in city's history
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...o-be-most.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 3:40 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
*Sigh* I find it hard to believe that this is the best they could come up with for an art design on the roundabout. I mean, it just looks soo stupid!... I'm rather appalled by this actually.

SoBro roundabout public art to be most expensive in city's history
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...o-be-most.html

I think it's pretty dumb looking myself, but it will probably look much better once completed. I still think that's a major waste of $750k.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:55 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Giarratana wooing global company to anchor 41-story downtown high-rise
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...l-company.html

Quote:
Developer Tony Giarratana says he is in talks with an international company for a headquarters that would anchor a 41-story high-rise in the SoBro area of downtown Nashville.
Giarratana gave the Nashville Business Journal a first glimpse at the mixed-use project, code-named "Sheet Music," which is slated for the southeast corner of Fourth Avenue and Demonbreun Street, next to the Encore condominium tower. On the other side of the Encore, Giarratana plans to break ground on a luxury apartment high-rise by the end of the year.
Giarratana unveiled plans two years ago to develop a four-star hotel on the Sheet Music site. Now he's aiming highe
Quote:
The curvilinear project's current design consists of three main layers: parking, office space and 15 stories of residential or hotel rooms on top. Global architecture firm Perkins+Will designed the project.
Quote:
Giarratana wouldn't reveal any details about the company he is speaking with, except that it needs 200,000 square feet plus 50,000 square feet for growth.
The entire project hinges on landing an office tenant. It's possible the design could change; for instance, it could end up being just a corporate headquarters building with parking, Giarratana said.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:55 PM

I don't want to sound ignorant or anything, but what do colorful sticks have to do with Native American culture?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I had to look over this again, it sounds like 505CST but it says next to Encore! Just imagining a tower of that size in the SoBro is amazing. Hopefully this will spur development along KVB south of MCC as well. Have there been any renderings of this project that have been released?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:07 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archee328 View Post
I don't want to sound ignorant or anything, but what do colorful sticks have to do with Native American culture?
I'm not for sure on that one either. I might have overlooked it, but I couldn't find it mentioned in any of the articles. You would think with that being the main concepts of the project it would be expounded on.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:08 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archee328 View Post
Have there been any renderings of this project that have been released?
Not yet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 7:12 PM

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...095/2275/RSS05

Quote:
At $750,000, the art tentatively dubbed “Stix” and inspired by Native American themes and colors, will become the city’s priciest work since Metro created a new program to pay for public art more than a decade ago.
This is where I saw it. I guess it's not the sticks but the colors on the sticks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Thanks for posting this ark...

It all sounds great, till you get to this part.

The entire project hinges on landing an office tenant. It's possible the design could change; for instance, it could end up being just a corporate headquarters building with parking, Giarratana said.

In the article it said that the company needs 200,000 square feet, plus another 50,000 for expansion. If worse comes to worse, and it does end up being just a corporate headquarters and nothing else, how tall of a tower could we end up seeing with that much space in it? I'm assuming not very tall.

Edit: Also, which project are they talking about when they mentioned the curvilinear design? The SoBro, or this Sheet Music proposal?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 9:07 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Sheet Music.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 11:38 PM

^Thanks!

Anybody want to take a guess as to why Tony is not trying to lure this company to 505 CST?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
^Thanks!

Anybody want to take a guess as to why Tony is not trying to lure this company to 505 CST?
I think it's mainly because this tower will be a lot cheaper to build than 505CST. That's not saying that he's completely scrapped 505, but as it stands now he has found a company that needs space that he can provide (along with condos) without the hotel and design that comes along with 505.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:10 AM
Future God

Perhaps we will get a clone of Mumbai's Antilia from Perkins & Will!

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations