HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Hyatt Place Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 5:35 PM

You know this is really starting to grow on me, sure it's not groundbreaking design or a 700 foot tower but between this and the Whitley Printing Tower across the street we are getting some much needed density in a part of downtown that needs it. It also helps that it will hide the ugly almost windowless stucco wall on the North side of the Hampton Inn. The view looking West down 3rd will be pretty impressive in a few years. Thanks to Haux for this pic he posted.

Hyatt Place under construction by raptoralex, on Flickr

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 9:26 PM

Looking good, topping out should be sometime in July.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 8:40 AM

I'm a little less optimistic about this now that the cladding is going up. Does Austin really need any more brown stucco buildings downtown? Hopefully the glass on the North East corner will help a little,I took this pic last week.

Although between this and the Whitley Printing Tower we are getting quite a street wall on the West side of San Jacinto.

Here's a shot I took yesterday of the North West corner.

And from the West with the Whitley Tower on the left.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I'm a little less optimistic about this now that the cladding is going up. Does Austin really need any more brown stucco buildings downtown? Hopefully the glass on the North East corner will help a little,I took this pic last week.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the stucco. however the glass should be an improvement for the building. Btw nice pixs...

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:20 AM

I like the variety in Austin's high rises. Too much of anything, whether it be stucco, glass, etc. would make the skyline look dated or boring. I think we are getting an interesting mix.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I like the variety in Austin's high rises. Too much of anything, whether it be stucco, glass, etc. would make the skyline look dated or boring. I think we are getting an interesting mix.
agreed. the lower buildings mostly seem to be this "stucco" everyone hates. well, i have no problem with this because these are the small buildings.

now what is atrocious to me is the ashton... now that's just not my cup of tea. people never found time to complain about that building but these lesser buildings which i feel are all that's needed to fill up those empty blocks, well somehow they are the ones mostly criticized.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
agreed. the lower buildings mostly seem to be this "stucco" everyone hates. well, i have no problem with this because these are the small buildings.

now what is atrocious to me is the ashton... now that's just not my cup of tea. people never found time to complain about that building but these lesser buildings which i feel are all that's needed to fill up those empty blocks, well somehow they are the ones mostly criticized.
I like the Ashton.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I like the Ashton.
ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
ewwwwwwwwwwww!
I also like the Ashton. It reminds me of a building you would see in the northeast with tue brickish exterior and the arched roof goes a long way in keeping it from just being another thin rectangular box.

Funny how the Hyatt will be taller than the Hampton by quite a bit it looks like but it only is one floor more.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 8:50 PM
~Hook'em~

Sorry migol24.

Quote:
I like the Ashton.
lol

I too like the Ashton. I think because of the roof mostly. But there are other things I like about it. I will say it grew on me more with the Austonian there for some reason. They are so different.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Sorry migol24.

lol

I too like the Ashton. I think because of the roof mostly. But there are other things I like about it. I will say it grew on me more with the Austonian there for some reason. They are so different.
the ashton looks poorly designed. i could've designed it. and i mean that modestly and sincerely. i've done much better designs on google sketchup. the roof is ugly and the worst thing about it. it's just a half arc. it looks like its still under construction. one of the worst buildings austin has to offer. i'd say its right behind four seasons.

i do, however, like it at ground level to some degree. still feel it could get some retail going... not sure if there is now though. and the only other times i like it are at night times when those light beams are turned on in that very half-arched roof. its about the only time the ashton wins me over.... kinda

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:57 PM

The Ashton doesn't look bad. Could have been more interesting than it is, but I agree with those who said the roof makes it decent enough.

As for the Hyatt Place building, let's be thankful that they at least put the glass detail on the corner there. It's a very cool design piece that helps keep it from being just another really boring and awful looking structure like it's Hampton Inn neighbor. It could have been worse. But seeing the pictures just posted, I think it's going to go a long way towards filling out downtown. I (unfortunately) don't live in Austin, though I used to right before the Frost Tower went up, and I really like what I see for the most part. Even in November when I was last there, there seemed to be so many parking lots. Glad to see this new boom happening!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:42 AM
Meh

From The Austonian tour. Man, I wish I had been there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
A bird's eye view of the new construction:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:48 AM

I found this on facebook today "Tracy Terrell at the Courtyard Downtown took it from their rooftop terrace" Really shows the density going in on San Jacinto. Just think a little more than six months ago that new construction was a surface parking lot and a one story printing company.

Last edited by corvairkeith; Jun 12, 2012 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:56 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Can you imagine if all of downtown looked like that? Awesome. The apartment tower is only about half finished, so that'll be alot taller. The hotel is a few floors from being topped out.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:27 AM
Meh

That street wall is looking nice. It's going to step up gradually starting from the One Congress Plaza garage to the 3rd & Brazos apartment tower.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Can you imagine if all of downtown looked like that? Awesome. The apartment tower is only about half finished, so that'll be alot taller. The hotel is a few floors from being topped out.
I think big chunks of downtown will look like that in about 20 years. It is this infill of 10 to 20 story buildings that is going to transform downtown in the long run or at least transform the experience of being downtown. Skyscrapers alone do not make a city.

Re: The Ashton. It is pretty ugly for the most part from my point of view. The little eyebrow touch up on the roof is going to date this building in no time, and I don't think it will date well. I agree that it looks like a standard issue apartment house, but I hate the way it is wedged into that parcel without even trying to make peace with the office building fronting on Congress. I do like the front of the building down at the street and imagine the pool area is pretty nice. It would be much better with some retail action or commercial action down on the street. Maybe one day it will get reconfigured.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:12 AM

Could you imagine that view in a few years once the JW Marriott is complete.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 1:59 AM

Looks like it has one more floor to go and then the corner crown. It's already taller than the Hampton Inn to the South.

Starting to get quite the urban canyon down 3rd Street.

The framework is going up for the glass on the North East corner.

I'm not crazy about the blank stucco wall on the Western most part of the building. I guess they are counting on a tower being built on the U Ship lot sometime in the future.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:30 AM
Meh

I'm really liking the density over there. And I'm so glad that huge parking lot is going away with the Marriott.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin