HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 11:40 AM

Killam Library Demolishes Fountains for a Subway

I found this bit of news disappointing. Leslie Fairn must be turning over in his grave: https://blogs.dal.ca/libraries/2011/...ing-at-killam/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 12:15 PM

They did WHAT!?

That is blasphemous!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
They did WHAT!?

That is blasphemous!
Assuming that is sarcasm but honestly, I really love the Killam and the idea of taking out the fountains for a cheap fast food place... ugh.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:19 PM
opinionated so and so

Hmmmm..... part of the reason for the atrium was as a part of a plan to address poor air quality... I wonder what toasted subs will do to the air quality that building....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Hmmmm..... part of the reason for the atrium was as a part of a plan to address poor air quality... I wonder what toasted subs will do to the air quality that building....
Yes, didn't Dalhousie tell you: apparently Subway bread is a better oxygenator than any of the atrium's plants that used to be there...
Yes, Dalhousie truly is looking out for their student's.

Or, more to the point, unlike those plants...Subway can pay Dalhousie money.

*sigh* Sometimes this university is so disappointing.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 3:03 PM

The atrium just lost a huge part of its appeal. Couldn't they have waited for the exterior renos to get under way and found a better place for it? Or better yet, somewhere that isn't in the Killam at all?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 3:43 PM
BUILD!

The main atrium may not have been the best place for a Subway, but having a Subway in the library is going to be amazing. I spend quite a lot of time in the Killam and the number of places to get good food on campus is quite limited. As long as they keep this Subway open fairly late, I will be a happy camper (along with many other students).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 3:50 PM
we built this city

I wonder how the ventilation will work...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 3:56 PM

The people at the International Centre aren't happen either that their inward-facing windows are now covered by a fast food joint. The atrium is turning into a trashy little food court and seating space is even more limited now.

In other news on incompetency and disregard for local history: the Oxford Theatre renovation looks pretty lousy. The semi-circle motif that gave it an art deco flair seems to have been ditched. Basically just a grey box now. They took down the iconic neon sign and replaced with one incorporating the Empire Theatres logo on top, and the word Oxford relegated to little red letters at the bottom.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 4:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Wow, this is awful.

They could put a subway in the SUB or the new residence or whatever.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 6:03 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
In other news on incompetency and disregard for local history: the Oxford Theatre renovation looks pretty lousy. The semi-circle motif that gave it an art deco flair seems to have been ditched. Basically just a grey box now. They took down the iconic neon sign and replaced with one incorporating the Empire Theatres logo on top, and the word Oxford relegated to little red letters at the bottom.
Yeah when I was lined up there a few weeks ago I was chatting with some of the staff, and even they seemed really really unhappy with the changes. Hope to god they touch the art deco of the interior.

I certainly do go to that theatre because it is the most comfortable, I go because I love the art deco ambiance of it and the retro feel.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Wow, this is awful.
I thought so. The worst part is, if you look at the comment section in that blog post... it sounds like Dal Food Services didn't consult anyone at all before deciding to demolish the water fountain.

As for ventilation, I assume it will go under and out. I believe the fountain / stream was originally meant to go right under the building at that point and it may actually still be open under that corner.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 8:49 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
The people at the International Centre aren't happen either that their inward-facing windows are now covered by a fast food joint. The atrium is turning into a trashy little food court and seating space is even more limited now.

The Oxford marquee was incredible. It stood out on Quinpool. Such a shame.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
The atrium just lost a huge part of its appeal. Couldn't they have waited for the exterior renos to get under way and found a better place for it? Or better yet, somewhere that isn't in the Killam at all?
The SUB would be a great place for a Subway. You know, because the kids are anti-Sodexho, now. As they should be.

The smell inside any given subway is much preferable to the smell inside most Tim Horton's. But plants are much nicer. I agree: the Killam has no appeal now. It's just a library.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:43 AM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
The SUB would be a great place for a Subway. You know, because the kids are anti-Sodexho, now. As they should be.
They're currently building Quizno's in the SUB- that could be a reason why they aren't putting Subway there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues