HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Are there really snakes in this part of town? I've never heard of snakes in Austin. How dangerous can they be?
Yes Migol24, there are snakes in the entire chain of lakes, from harmless, to venomous, flesh destroying cottonmouths and moccasins. There have also been some sightings of pythons, though few and rare, they were probably pets that were released along the lake. The Dept. of Fish and Wildlife have some records of sightings and captures in Town Lake, (LBL). The majority are harmless water snakes. You can tell the venomous ones from the non venomous by the size and shape of the heads. The venomous ones have big blocky heads with a narrow neck attached to a thick body and short tail. The non venomous ones have a long narrow body, tail and head and no discernable neck. If you are in the water and see a snake, when in doubt, just get out.
l've personally seen tons of water snakes in Lake Travis around old boat docks, and large semi submerged logs. We were fishing an old dock and were literally swarmed by dozens of docile water snakes. They are surface swimmers and take cover where they can find it. Blue herons love to eat them. But they need to get out of the water and warm themselves in the sun to raise their body temperature especially after eating to aid with digestion. The boardwalk may actually be too tall to give them that cover, but it may give us a vantage point to spot them along the shoreline. Look around Elephant ear groves, rocks, and fallen branches. They are pit vipers that hunt mostly at night by sensing temperature variations, so look for a log in a sunny spot where they might be sunning after a midnight meal.
There are also eels in LBL which can resemble water snakes when they swim close to the surface.
The venemous snakes are not dangerous unless you provoke them....they don't want to waste their venum on something too large to eat. The most dangerous and scarey thing in LBL is the garbage and debris hidden under the surface of the water.
Just another fun fact about our venemous water snakes, their venum contains hemotoxins, (attacks red blood cells causing tissue damage and bleed out) not neurotoxins (attacks the nervous system and causes paralysis) like rattlesnakes, cobras...which means you are far less likely to die if you get bit by one. But small prey they feed on, birds, frogs, fish would die quickly as they bleed out internally from the anticoagulants in the venum. Hope this answers your question, sorry I didn't get into much detail...my snake expertise is with constrictors like boas, ball and burmese pythons.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:47 AM

Wow thanks for the info Genral. Have there ever been any snake bite related deaths in that area? So crazy to think of all the wildlife in a very urban environment.

I wonder how many wildlife species Austin hosts. There should be a thread dedicated to Austin's wildlife (or is there?).

I remember my friend in Austin shared a link on facebook about how scientists are baffled that many wildlife creatures are migrating to urban areas like the (peregrin?) falcon in london that preys on pigeons. It also reminds me about 3years ago on my way to a party in Travis Heights I ran into what looked like a pack of coyotes or foxes. I dunno what they were but there were like a dozen and it was a little scary especially being in a very populated neighborhood and so close to downtown. I also ran into the same type of creature when I parked my car near the library in downtown but it was just one. We had a staring contest for awhile then it got bored and walked away. Raccoons were also very common and armadillos I only got to see once swimming around a pond in that red bldg behind the W. It was a weekend at night so it drew a crowd and a few people visiting were tripping out about it. Fire men soon came to pull it out cause it was just swimming round and round unable to get out.

Cant wait to see my creature buddies again when I move back to Austin be end of this month.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the info Genral. Have there ever been any snake bite related deaths in that area? So crazy to think of all the wildlife in a very urban environment.

I wonder how many wildlife species Austin hosts. There should be a thread dedicated to Austin's wildlife (or is there?).

I remember my friend in Austin shared a link on facebook about how scientists are baffled that many wildlife creatures are migrating to urban areas like the (peregrin?) falcon in london that preys on pigeons. It also reminds me about 3years ago on my way to a party in Travis Heights I ran into what looked like a pack of coyotes or foxes. I dunno what they were but there were like a dozen and it was a little scary especially being in a very populated neighborhood and so close to downtown. I also ran into the same type of creature when I parked my car near the library in downtown but it was just one. We had a staring contest for awhile then it got bored and walked away. Raccoons were also very common and armadillos I only got to see once swimming around a pond in that red bldg behind the W. It was a weekend at night so it drew a crowd and a few people visiting were tripping out about it. Fire men soon came to pull it out cause it was just swimming round and round unable to get out.

Cant wait to see my creature buddies again when I move back to Austin be end of this month.
One of the reasons I love Austin. It is a large city to still have so much nature integrated into its fabric. My wife has had a very hard time on a TA in southern California because they have basically destroyed their ecosystem and replaced it with the fake mess that is there now. All the wildlife has left and she doesn't even see squirrels at the parks there.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
One of the reasons I love Austin. It is a large city to still have so much nature integrated into its fabric. My wife has had a very hard time on a TA in southern California because they have basically destroyed their ecosystem and replaced it with the fake mess that is there now. All the wildlife has left and she doesn't even see squirrels at the parks there.
Glad I've lived in a great part of California. Lots of night creatures around my neighborhood sneak up on me when I'm walking home from work. I once walked almost side by side a skunk for a few blocks. I tried to keep a good distance so as to not scare it and stink up the area. lol I also recently got startled from what looked to be a raccoon carrying a dead little kitty. But it was dark so it was what I imagined. And then there's those creatures in the Tenderloin... jk!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:

Migol24, there are a bunch of resources out there...the Texas Parks and Wildlife web page is a good place to start.
As far as snake bite fatalities here in Central TX, I never heard of any and I spent 7 years as an emt / firefighter in Pflugerville so I know our hospitals are equipped with anti-venum and Starflight can get the patients to the hospitals pretty quickly even in our most outlying rural areas. A friend of mine 4 year old daughter was saved from a rattlesnake bite because of these resources...they lived in Burnet County.
We have coyote's, owls, falcons, snakes, scorpions, black widows, armadillos, ect...running or flying around near my house, also cranes and blue herons around water holes and brushy creek. Austin and the surrounding area has a plethora of wildlife. When I take my first walk on the boardwalk, I'll be watching for it.
BTW, in advance, welcome home brother...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:33 PM

Thanks Genral. I will definitely be taking advantage of the boardwalk once its done. My parents live in that area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 1:53 AM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
Meh

The Trail Foundation - Via Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thetrailfou.../photos_stream

The Trail Foundation - Via Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thetrailfou.../photos_stream

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:48 AM

I love this boardwalk...its not just functional, it is truly beautiful. Kudos...huge kudos to the design team and the City of Austin for putting up the money to build such a gem. It doesn't seem like they cut any corners to build it. Its going to get plenty of use. Our out of town visitors are going to rave about it with the rest of us.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I like the look of this boardwalk also. They did a great job making the concrete look like native limestone and the metal looks strong but very open.

Question...Are the top rails finished? What are those small round knobs for?

Will there be any lighting? I was thinking that low volt lights under the top rail every 30 feet might look real cool from the north reflecting a dim and soft glow on the water.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 2:38 PM

Yeah, wow, I just realized that this whole thing will be lined with lights. It's going to look so amazing at night (if not a little creepy). I had figured that they'd have lights like streetlamps at periodic places along the boardwalk, but this is much cooler.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:06 PM

From http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Public_Works/Boardwalk_Trail_Project/Boardwalk_FAQ_-_Design_022012_%282%29.pdf

Will the Boardwalk Trail be lit at night?

Yes, continuous LED light fixtures will be installed in the guardrail. These will Provide enough light on the trail surface for safe passage while respecting the night sky. They will be shielded to minimize any glare seen from the shore
line. Amber navigation lights will be placed along the open water side of the Boardwalk to warn boaters of the structure. As with most existing City trails, the land-based Trail will not be lit unless required for safety or security

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
From http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Public_Works/Boardwalk_Trail_Project/Boardwalk_FAQ_-_Design_022012_%282%29.pdf

Will the Boardwalk Trail be lit at night?

Yes, continuous LED light fixtures will be installed in the guardrail. These will Provide enough light on the trail surface for safe passage while respecting the night sky. They will be shielded to minimize any glare seen from the shore
line. Amber navigation lights will be placed along the open water side of the Boardwalk to warn boaters of the structure. As with most existing City trails, the land-based Trail will not be lit unless required for safety or security
Man, we really have some great projects going on in our City. I am still upset about the missed opportunity with Seaholm, but there is still Waller Creek and the waste water building. I love how all the trails are being tied together and soon all the way down to the LBJ Wildflower Center. I am a major believer in connecting as many of our parks and trails as possible.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:43 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Agreed. And I'm really looking forward to the work being done with Shoal Creek. That trail will be very nice when cleaned up and connected. The bridges are beautiful features as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 5:01 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Our out of town visitors are going to rave about it with the rest of us.
Well, all of the out of town visitors except those from Philadelphia, because they're getting their own similar boardwalk.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Well, all of the out of town visitors except those from Philadelphia, because they're getting their own similar boardwalk.
A little one...only 2000 feet long, and not nearly as scenic as ours. While it will definately give them nice views of Philadelphia's skyline, it looks industrial compared to the more natural look of ours. And we pretty much get to enjoy ours year round. All in all, they're going to be envious of ours
It appears ours escaped the flood with no damage, the design passed the test...whew!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
A little one...only 2000 feet long, and not nearly as scenic as ours. While it will definately give them nice views of Philadelphia's skyline, it looks industrial compared to the more natural look of ours. And we pretty much get to enjoy ours year round. All in all, they're going to be envious of ours
It appears ours escaped the flood with no damage, the design passed the test...whew!
Glad to hear it passed the flood test. The best part about the boardwalk is that it connects with our existing hike and bike trails that go all throughout central Downtown Austin and beyond. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 9:53 PM
Closed account

Nice pictures KevinFromTexas, thanks for posting. I kayaked under there prior to the flood and the cover provided is going to be a boon for fishing on Town Lake. Especially if they run those lights at night!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 6:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:05 PM

A taste of what this baby will look like at night, from the Trail Foundation's Facebook page:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin