HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I seem to remember the owner(s) of these parcels stating they had someone who wanted to use the land to erect a "signature tower" on the site. I seem to remember reading that in previous newspaper articles some months back. That's all well and good if that's the case. That said, why not preserve the facades at the very least (The St. James in Philly comes to mind here; I've actually driven/walked by this building a few times and thought it's neat how they incorporated the 1700s facade into this 21st century residential highrise). I think Lancaster did something similar when they built the Marriott Hotel and convention center - using the historic department store and I think a few other buildings and incorporating them into the hotel and convention center.

But... I do see your other point. The city would be irresponsible to grant demolition of this building if it means the land will sit vacant or if it will give way to a less-than-ideal use. The Point Park Playhouse is a good example of that!
Saying they have "plans" for a signature tower isn't the same thing as having secured funding and an anchor tenant though. If Oxford couldn't get it done, I have doubts that the Troiani family can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
The latest Planning Commission presentation shows some potential future massing, but it doesn't seem like much more than what might go there rather than something that is going there.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...ly_30_2019.pdf
Thanks for the reminder! I knew the Planning Commission was taking August off, but I forgot there was one scheduled for next week still. Summary incoming.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:13 PM

As Nitwit noted, there is a new planning commission up for next Tuesday. Looks like three items this week. Well, technically five, but three of them are presented together:

1. New neighborhood master plan for Manchester-Chateau. There's a whole lot to take in here, too much to really do justice, though a lot of this is still theoretical, and it's not actually a full rezoning ala Uptown. I like a lot of the suggestions though, like creating more underpasses beneath 65 for better connectivity, turning the lower portion of Chateau into a mixed-use neighborhood, and redeveloping Western Avenue as a neighborhood commercial street.

2. High wall sign for Hitachi at 1000 Technology Drive at PTC. Not really much to say about this.

3. The Troiani family asking to demolish the five remaining buildings on their parcel in First Side. We discussed this in the few posts above. At this point the tower is entirely aspirational. They want to knock down the buildings, put up some trees temporarily, and move spaces currently across the street on their mini-lot at 113 Boulevard of the Allies onto the main lot. One thing I find most insulting is in the future tower they want to save the bricks from the demolished building and use them to create a new "fake historic" facade on First Avenue and Market Street.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:41 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
The latest Planning Commission presentation shows some potential future massing, but it doesn't seem like much more than what might go there rather than something that is going there.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...ly_30_2019.pdf
I'm intrigued by the verbiage on page 75 of that print-out. It looks like preserving the facade and/or other historic elements is strongly suggested at the very least. Referring to Eschaton's and my remarks about Point Park, I really don't want to see another one of those.

I do like the suggested massing; it looks like there is the potential to see something taller than Three PNC Plaza erected there; upwards of a 25-30 story building...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:21 PM

August HRC is up. 14 items for next month, but all but two of them are either retreads or the more typical single-house remodels not worth mentioning here.

1. A major expansion of the National Aviary, adding a new closed pavilion for weddings and classes where there is currently a tent used in warm weather. This will also result in an expanded back entrance, separating the lobby from the admissions/gift shop. The design, from Perfido Weiskopf, looks fine to me.

2. Restoration of 1610 East Carson Street. This is one of the uglier buildings in South Side, and as a corner building it is in a prominent location, so the rehab to the original brick facade will make a big difference.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 5:14 AM
Ex Houstonian

This monstrosity in Oakland is finally finished. Hopefully the trees they planted on the sidewalk grow to 200ft tall to cover it up. The terrible cheap siding is still all dented up looking, figured they would at least fix that crap, but they didnt. Instead of aging like a fine wine, this is going to age like a torn sack of Franzia box wine in the hot sun.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

Some photos from today.

The new row houses in the Strip. Also saw that the Produce Terminal is completely gutted now, so thats good.

Don't have a photo of it, but drove by and saw they tore down Rosa Villa building next to the Andy Warhol Museum. Any idea what's going to go on that lot, if anything?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:00 AM

Rosa Villa's longstanding building on Pittsburgh's North Side comes down

Future plans for the Rosa Villa building "have not yet been determined, but in the interim, it will be replaced with a small pedestrian park."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 1:35 PM

It really irks me that they named the Buncher townhouse project "Strip District Brownstones." I mean, there's not even a fake stone facade. They're just brick, and some of the units don't even have a brownish brick.

The demolition of Rosa Villa had been planned for some time. I'm not surprised, but in a way it's a shame, because the building on the left seems to have originally been a house, which means it was the last surviving rowhouse in the North Shore. unless you count this (which is already too far gone) or the three remaining on S Canal St in Schweitzer Loch.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Saying they have "plans" for a signature tower isn't the same thing as having secured funding and an anchor tenant though. If Oxford couldn't get it done, I have doubts that the Troiani family can.
Whooaaa... take it easy there, chief! The Troiani family gets things done, if you know what I mean. You know, they got this certain way of taking care of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
torn sack
Two words that should never be used together.

Quote:
It really irks me that they named the Buncher townhouse project "Strip District Brownstones." I mean, there's not even a fake stone facade. They're just brick, and some of the units don't even have a brownish brick.
Yuck, really? That's a name you'd see used for a project like this in Indianapolis or Omaha.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 5:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

At least those row houses look pretty decent and aren't cladded in corrugated siding or some other junk material.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
At least those row houses look pretty decent and aren't cladded in corrugated siding or some other junk material.
Yeah, I'm not going to hate on those row houses. They make good use of a strip of land that is too narrow for most commercial buildings or large apartment developments. They're apparently selling faster than the developer can build them, so there's obviously a demand for that type of housing int eh Strip, so I say more power to them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
This monstrosity in Oakland is finally finished. Hopefully the trees they planted on the sidewalk grow to 200ft tall to cover it up. The terrible cheap siding is still all dented up looking, figured they would at least fix that crap, but they didnt. Instead of aging like a fine wine, this is going to age like a torn sack of Franzia box wine in the hot sun.
^ Oh man, this made me laugh. God, that thing IS hideous.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to hate on those row houses. They make good use of a strip of land that is too narrow for most commercial buildings or large apartment developments. They're apparently selling faster than the developer can build them, so there's obviously a demand for that type of housing int eh Strip, so I say more power to them.
I agree. I think they look fine as well, even though the name is kind of cheesy like another poster mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:23 AM

So I realized tonight that Lawrenceville United has extensive online documentation of basically every single significant proposed or completed project in Lawrenceville going back years. Essentially they review every project which involves more than four units of housing or commercial projects which require variances to decide if they want to support it, support with conditions, take no opinion, or actively oppose. There's a lot of presentations related to lower-level projects which never make it to the planning commission, including some renderings I've never seen before.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
So I realized tonight that Lawrenceville United has extensive online documentation of basically every single significant proposed or completed project in Lawrenceville going back years. Essentially they review every project which involves more than four units of housing or commercial projects which require variances to decide if they want to support it, support with conditions, take no opinion, or actively oppose. There's a lot of presentations related to lower-level projects which never make it to the planning commission, including some renderings I've never seen before.

Lol I came across the same page tonight- never seen it before either. Not even sure how I found it, think I was googling addresses from a PBT article. Sometimes I go down development rabbit holes and find things archived in weird, random places.

It is neat seeing project details even for little things like restaurants but IMO there are some ugly condo and townhome projects proposed. I only clicked through presentations from either 2018 or 2019 but was not very impressed with the residential projects.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Lol I came across the same page tonight- never seen it before either. Not even sure how I found it, think I was googling addresses from a PBT article. Sometimes I go down development rabbit holes and find things archived in weird, random places.
I think I was reading the same article. The one about how a new coffeeshop is moving in where Crazy Mocha now is, and Crazy Mocha is moving down the street? I googled the name of a soon to be open restaurant listed in the article and came upon the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
It is neat seeing project details even for little things like restaurants but IMO there are some ugly condo and townhome projects proposed. I only clicked through presentations from either 2018 or 2019 but was not very impressed with the residential projects.
I'm a little annoyed how many of the presentations are powerpoint rather than PDF. I don't have a plugin on my browser to view those without downloading, and I'd rather not download everything in sight just to read once.

Yeah though, there are some pretty damn ugly proposed townhouse projects.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:58 PM

Posting some pics I yoinked from the LU presentations:

The Mintwood Street warehouse condo conversion.

The E Properties and Development proposed mini-apartment building with ground-floor retail at 3719 Butler.

A crude rendering of townhouses going in on 37th Street.

The latest plan for the Holy Family Church site.

Plan to rehab a set of condemned rowhouses (and one new construction townhouse) on Liberty.

As set of rowhouses replacing historic homes on 38th Street. Two out of the three pictured on Google Maps have already been demolished.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

People need to push for protecting Lville in an historic district. Slowly it's getting destroyed and turned into panel sided shit housing.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
People need to push for protecting Lville in an historic district. Slowly it's getting destroyed and turned into panel sided shit housing.
It wouldn't actually do anything to stop shitty infill. It would just protect historic buildings from being further remuddled.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

I don't care about infill, but many historic houses are still getting torn down. Lots of the ones being torn down have terrible vinyl siding and remuddled 50s small windows. But they could easily be restored and returned to their former beauty instead of being torn down and replaced with tin sided no architectural value modernist jumbled crap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations