HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Daquan:
I hate to break it to you but these are not standard Lego kits. These skyscrapers are custom designed and built by my friend Spencer from individual parts that he orderered from Bricklink.com. As far as I know, the Lego company has never sold a kit of a skyscraper even though it displays many large ones at its Legoland parks.

Unless Spencer decides to start a business selling these designs as sets, you will not find them for sale. The great thing about Lego is that anyone who has the time, patience, and money can at least attempt to build something similar.

Check out the link that SlugBelch provided earlier - a guy IS selling kits that allow you to build the Sears Tower, ESB, etc in a somewhat larger scale - although the exterior walls are actually a custom wall unit rather than an official Lego part.

I would think that Lego would have a hit on its hands if they did market and sell a line of famous landmarks in a micro-scale (so as to be affordable).
Lego just recently demonstrated that it is aware of a more architecturally inclined group of builders with the release of the Corner Cafe - a three story building that sells for $140 and has over 2,000 parts.

Not too long ago, I sent an e-mail to Lego, asking them about this, and they wrote me back, saying that they no longer sells these kits.

I tried designing one on their designing page, but got nowhere. They have however, started offering a model of the Eifel Tower for $200.00.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:12 AM

Im a part of the "lego Kids Inner Circle club" and send em an email every day about marketing and selling architecture models. and Daquan,that was really obvios.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Obvios? Isn't that spelled wrong? Since you want to try to be funny?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:23 AM

im not trying to be funny

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 8:18 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_mclark View Post
are you only a Detroit fan or do you have stuff from other cites?
I assume that question was directed toward me.
I love or at least like almost all styles of architecture. One of the main reasons that I visit Chicago on a regular basis is to see the amazing collection of skyscrapers from all eras since the steel framed building was developed there. But yes, in terms of building skyscrapers out of Lego bricks, I am primarily a Detroit fan, after all it is my city. While one might not know it when looking at the city's current woes, but Detroit has had a very important impact on the development of this country in the 20th century. In 1929 it had the third largest collection of skyscrapers in the country. While my activities may not amount to a hill of beans, I hope that when people see my Lego replicas of Detroit buildings it might help them see that Detroit is not a collection of ruins. Some people who do not take the trouble to actually look at the city, assume it is all bad and are often surprised that there are many architectural gems there that are in use and are in good condition.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, but this question has come up a fair amount lately. I have no plans to do a Sears Tower (heck, there were three of them at the NMRA show!) or an Empire State building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:07 AM
A Texan in Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
I assume that question was directed toward me.
I love or at least like almost all styles of architecture.
ya the question was for you decojim. i was just wondering if you had any other buildings that are your own unique design or you just make replicas? i ask because I'm the kind of Lego fan that gets bored and starts putting blocks together and next thing i know i have something really cool looking. and i usally can't recreate it unless i dismantle it. or have you ever made any small replicas like kevinfromtexas.

Man i hate those Mexican jails - Storybook by Roger Creager

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 6:04 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
ya the question was for you decojim. i was just wondering if you had any other buildings that are your own unique design or you just make replicas? i ask because I'm the kind of Lego fan that gets bored and starts putting blocks together and next thing i know i have something really cool looking. and i usally can't recreate it unless i dismantle it. or have you ever made any small replicas like kevinfromtexas.
Currently I build only replicas of Detroit buildings. Of course I could change my mind.

When I first started out, I made my own designs but they basically sucked. I think that by copying real buildings, I got a better idea of styles of architecture and the proportions that some architects used.

Just before the 2005 NMRA National Train Show in Cincinnati, I put the following block of buildings together:

The buildings in the city block in the middle of the picture are not based on real buildings. As you can see, most are conservative in design. I like to think that the tan corner building has some originality; it is supposed to represent a three story shopping mall with condos on top.

I have a subscription to Dwell magazine; the modern architecture showcased in it has go me thinking at trying my hand at a good 60s style "ultra-modern" house or office building.

I have not built "micro-scale" or "nano-scale" Lego buildings like Kevinfromtexas. I have a friend who has built Detroit in a similar scale but while he said he was going to post pictures, he hasn't yet. Also if you saw Spencer's micro-scale skyscrapers posted earlier in this thread, I feel that he is the master at that scale and I will not attempt to compete with it. In addition, I am satisfied with what area I have chosen to concentrate. Even if I build Detroit in minifig scale, that project alone could keep me busy for the next 20 years or longer!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:10 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Woah, those still look great! I know I'd be proud if I had made those!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 5:30 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post
Woah, those still look great! I know I'd be proud if I had made those!
Thanks!

One advantage about making up your own buildings is that you can either combine the best features from several real buildings into one or come up with something totally new if you are really creative.

By the way radio station WDET's website used a picture of my David Stott Building for the 09/13/2007 Detroit Today entry:
http://www.wdetfm.org/detroittoday/
I am not sure why!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 6:44 PM

GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!
those are ugh,amazing?
you rule DecoJim!!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 9:36 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

They think it's the real building! You know you're good if that happens to you twice.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 9:42 PM
Registered Lurker

I don't blame them for mistaking it as the real one, it's just so realistic!!
too bad they didn't ask first...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:05 AM
A Texan in Oklahoma

decojim if you ran for president i would vote for you cause you would make our cities look awsome!!

Man i hate those Mexican jails - Storybook by Roger Creager

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:08 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
decojim if you ran for president i would vote for you cause you would make our cities look awsome!!
Thanks but... probably not a good idea.
If I were president, I would try to become a liberal dictator!
(Bush was basically a conservative dictator until Democrats won back Congress!)

I would:
* fund urban renewal to get people to reduce sprawl and commuting times.
* require all cars to be hybrids or hydrogen powered within 10 years.
* require all cities to have electric powered mass transit.
* begin commercial exploitation of the moon.
* get organized religion out of government.
* have bad architects exiled to Canada or Siberia (their choice).
Anyway, you get the idea.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:22 AM

decojim,is transpotting this stuff a pain? I make small stuff and display them at schools around here,and moving them is

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 6:46 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin55 View Post
decojim,is transpotting this stuff a pain? I make small stuff and display them at schools around here,and moving them is
Yes, it is a challenge. For the NMRA National Train Show in July, I moved about 1,000 pounds of Lego buildings to the show. I had a full size Ford Econoline van at my disposal, and yet was only able to fit 65% of my stuff in it so I had to make two trips. Fortunately I live close to downtown Detroit so that driving time was only about 10-15 minutes. After unloading, I had to repair minor damage to some of the buildings as I put the sections together on the train tables. I also cannot put all of the sections in boxes since that would have used up even more space.

If you have smaller stuff, you should be able to put in it boxes with bubble wrap (if necessary) to protect it.

Here is an idea: One guy from the Northern Illinois Lego Train Club had a large Lego building with a hinged front. For shipment, he was able to store small buildings inside of the large buidling.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 11:13 PM

I so love this WTC model on brickshelf
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=74081
and this one,
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=257142
Yay Brickshelf!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:45 AM
I'm cheap

I think I just creamed myself...

Wow... that's awesome stuff. I don't have the patience to do it myself, but WOW!!! THAT IS AMAZING!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 9:11 AM
Meh

Here's a horrible little video clip I did of my model a few months back. I need to set it up outside in the backyard for better lighting.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 1:58 AM

I might try that for Dallas.Ive got the bricks and all.

the other day I made a tower out of old K'nex(which I dont care for) in30 minutes. Its final hieght was 16 feet.It was huge! unfortinitly,mom didnt like it in the middle of the living room,so it was dissambeled before I got pics. but it was huge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art