HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 1:20 AM

Smile NEW YORK (Brooklyn)| Toren | 397 FT / 121 M | 38 FLOORS

It seems we lost our thread on the Toren (150 Myrtle) and so I'm bringing it back (yes yes, because I was in Brooklyn and I took photos). But really, this is one of the coolest buildings in NYC (and easily the coolest in Brooklyn, I mean, what, you like the Brooklyner more?), so enjoy this thing in it's nearly complete state.

Oh yes, there's some other buildings under construction in these photos and I'll try to put up threads on them as well. Hang tight.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
I would have swapped this with the Brooklyner as the borough's tallest. It's a least noticeable, and I like it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:20 PM

It is the best looking new building Brooklyn's had in the last 20...make that 50 years (maybe even more than that).

By the way, those dark pictures do not do this tower justice. It is very beautiful in person.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It is the best looking new building Brooklyn's had in the last 20...make that 50 years (maybe even more than that).

By the way, those dark pictures do not do this tower justice. It is very beautiful in person.
Sorry about that! The weather had turned since I got in the subway to when i was walking across the bridge (it was very nice in the morning). I promise to get out some and take a few sunny shots at least from the bridge later this week.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:45 PM

Toren is one of my favorite new bldgs under construction in NYC. It has a playful ,yet, sophisticated facade, a delicate balance. I do hope they plan on cladding the mechanical housing on top; yellow just is not complimentary to the rest of the building.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:07 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Roldan's last set of pictures really turned around my opinion of Toren. It looks a lot less gimicky than I thought it would.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:58 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 2:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Nyce.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 10:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 7:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 6:04 PM

Great looking building. One of the best in Brooklyn!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:11 AM

Hey sorry no photos, but the mechanicals on top were painted with black and white stripes to match the building (instead of the yellow primer in photos above). The building is also completely finished now, so as much as I love it very much, it's time to move it to completed.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:55 AM

This is one of those buildings that looks like it would never work in theory but the final result is awesome.

Quote:
Hey sorry no photos, but the mechanicals on top were painted with black and white stripes to match the building (instead of the yellow primer in photos above). The building is also completely finished now, so as much as I love it very much, it's time to move it to completed.
You're probably right, but it would be nice to either see some source that proves completion or photos that show that it's operational. Not that I don't trust you or anything, it's just that it's nice to keep things officially documented rather than basing status on hearsay, even if it's from trusted forumers.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 9:51 AM
arf

I like this one a lot.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 12:15 PM

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownston...oren_swimm.php

And street easy lists recorded closings on 109 apartments:

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/building/toren-condominium

I didn't know I had to come with proof of it being finished, sorry. I can grab shots from brooklyn next time I'm over there, as I understand it there's no scaffolding around the building either.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:33 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Great tower. I think Brooklyn needs a 700ft tower to crown the skyline and I would be happy for a long time and then just more infill with shorter towers like what we are seeing now.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Great tower. I think Brooklyn needs a 700ft tower to crown the skyline and I would be happy for a long time and then just more infill with shorter towers like what we are seeing now.
+1

I think the same thing every time I look at the BK skyline...

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:03 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
city tech tower would have done that but unfortunately it got cancelled

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I didn't know I had to come with proof of it being finished, sorry.
Yeah, otherwise a lot of things would be "completed". Nothing wrong with a photo. Anyway, I do believe this has been complete for a while now.

http://worldarchitecturenews.com/ind...pload_id=13404

Toren completes adding to new heights for New York borough

Monday 15 Feb 2010

Quote:
A year later than expected but worth waiting for, Toren Tower in Downtown Brooklyn, New York is now open to occupants. The 38 storey residential condominium tower holds 240 units and is a dramatic addition within its context, one of four new buildings at corners of the Myrtle Avenue/Flatbrush Avenue junction in the regenerating district.

...Originally set for completion in April 2009 Toren, the Dutch word for tower, is still to receive its final touches, but once complete it is hoped that the SOM-designed tower will be a pillar of sustainability as well as style, striving to achieve Gold LEED-certification. A cogeneration plant within the building will generate both heat and power for the entire building and cost less than traditional methods.

Job well done...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive