HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:05 PM

i really like the Chapman. I think that building will do very well, and is priced much better than most the buildings in DTLA.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 8:35 PM

Anyone know what they're building behind the City of Hope building. Bixel and 6th? It's a pretty big lot they're digging in. Is it an expansion of the Palmer thing?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 9:38 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker276 View Post
Anyone know what they're building behind the City of Hope building. Bixel and 6th? It's a pretty big lot they're digging in. Is it an expansion of the Palmer thing?
Dan, exactly...it's an expansion of Pierro.

PIERO II

Plans are proceeding on developer G.H. Palmer Associates' 350-unit apartment complex on Sixth between Bixel and St. Paul streets in City West. A pedestrian bridge over St. Paul will connect a rooftop swimming pool deck to the already open Piero complex, also constructed by Palmer. The Piero II has been scaled down from its original design for 600 luxury units and will now include a mixed-use component. Last year the city ruled that the project must include an affordable housing element.

City West has so much going on. By the way, did you see in this week's downtown news that Red Mango backed out of opening a location in Vero? Yoguberry is looking there instead. I hate finding out about this stuff in the paper and not directly from my building!

Also from the LADT News this week: City West Project Could Mean Big Fees for Tenants, Who Still Don't Know Where They'll Go

"...One of more than 40 tenants who reside in a two-story duplex at 485 Hartford St., Arevalo has tried to keep the owner from demolishing the structure to build condominiums. The city Area Planning Commission, which tentatively approved the project last year, is expected to give it the green light at a hearing on June 26.

The incoming project called Hartford Towers, by L.A.-based developer Hartford Capital Group, calls for 49 condos. One block away, the company owns a 10-unit building that is also awaiting demolition approval; it would give way to Witmer Plaza, a 39-condo development."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 11:37 PM

Roosevelt update: The construction should end by Sept/Oct, and move ins by the end of the year hopefully. The retail tenants are Smith's, and offshoot of Citizen Smiths from Hollywood, La Salsa, a Sushi Restaurant and a High End Deli with Liquor!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:41 PM

Construction should end... So that's not move ins / firemarshall delays and all that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 9:26 PM

Thumbs up

Last updated: June 4, 2007 05:32pm

McGregor Raises $28M to Develop Apartments
By Bob Howard

(Read more on the debt and equity markets and the multifamily market .)
LOS ANGELES-The McGregor Co. has raised joint venture equity that could total up to $28.1 million that the locally based firm will use to entitle and develop its mixed-use One Santa Fe project, according to Holliday Fenoglio Fowler. Paul Brindley, senior managing director in the L.A. office of HFF, says that the McGregor project represents a response to the demand for new rental units in Downtown Los Angeles as existing apartments are converted to condominiums.

Brindley and associate Zane Sweet of HFF arranged the joint venture equity with the Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group, a private equity vehicle at Goldman Sachs that invests in underserved or transitioning neighborhoods in urban environments. The Urban Investment Group is part of the merchant banking division within the Goldman Sachs Group.

One Santa Fe, planned for the Arts District of Downtown Los Angeles, will feature approximately 440 apartment units and 55,000 sf of ground floor retail and live/work space. Due for completion in 2010, the project will be developed on a site across Santa Fe Avenue from the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc), adjacent to the Gold Metro Line and close to Union Station, Little Tokyo and the 101 Freeway.

The development will consist of four multiple-story buildings as well as parking for 800 cars in two separate on-site garages. Units will include lofts and studios as well as apartments ranging from one to four bedrooms.

Brindley notes that approximately 4,000 new residents per year are moving into Downtown Los Angeles, where the majority of new and proposed developments are condominiums. With recent conversions of rental properties into condominiums, demand for apartments has grown considerably, he says.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:36 AM

I'm new to this forum and I have a quick question that I'm sure you guys can answer. What are Downtown LA's borders from west to east and from north to south? Is the MacArthur Park still Downtown?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:26 AM

There are no real borders. Everyone may have a slightly different idea of what they are. For example half the people (maybe not on this forum) will say that Union Station is downtown and the other half will say that it's not just because it's on the wrong side of the 101 freeway.

Downtown is roughly bounded by the 10, 110, 101 freeways and the LA River, but most people would consider City West part of downtown now. I don't think that most people would consider MacArthur Park's neighborhood, Westlake, to be part of downtown but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:09 AM

I once new a guy from Cleveland who considered down town to run all the way to the Century City area.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:07 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy731 View Post
I'm new to this forum and I have a quick question that I'm sure you guys can answer. What are Downtown LA's borders from west to east and from north to south? Is the MacArthur Park still Downtown?
When people on the forums talk about downtown, we consider City West to the LA River and Chinatown/Union Station to the 10 Fwy. These areas are all covered by the LA Downtown News also. MacArthur Park isn't considered part of downtown. The dividing line in City West is Witmer Street, everything east being part of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:48 AM

I've been thinking about this lately. I'd definitely consider myself (Chinatown/Union Station area) to be Downtown. I'd say the northern border isn't the 101; it's the "teardrop" shape formed by the 110 and the LA river. So that's Chinatown, the Cornfield, Solano Canyon, Union Station, the Twin Towers, and that area with no real identity of its own (but sometimes called Figueroa Terrace) north of the 101, west of Chinatown.

I've been seeing a lot of the government/quasi-government entities trying to include the Figueroa Corridor area as part of Downtown (because of USC), but I'd be more convinced if there were some really solid boundaries in place as to what the Figueroa Corridor entails. So I'd put the southern border of Downtown at Washington or the 10.

On the west, I'd include Vista Hermosa, then south of that it's pretty much Lucas Avenue south to 7th, then Garland south to 9th/James Wood. South of that, the area is identified as Pico-Union, and I wouldn't consider that Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayinla View Post
When people on the forums talk about downtown, we consider City West to the LA River and Chinatown/Union Station to the 10 Fwy. These areas are all covered by the LA Downtown News also. MacArthur Park isn't considered part of downtown. The dividing line in City West is Witmer Street, everything east being part of downtown.
Is Witmer St. an official city-designated border between the two districts? Also, I don't think that I've heard the term "City West" before. What are its boundaries? 'cause the neighborhoods west of the 110 have always been MacArthur Park (I hate the term Westlake) and Pico-Union to me.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi View Post
I've been seeing a lot of the government/quasi-government entities trying to include the Figueroa Corridor area as part of Downtown (because of USC), but I'd be more convinced if there were some really solid boundaries in place as to what the Figueroa Corridor entails.
It irritates me when USC tries to include itself in the downtown bunch. Saying that USC is along some sort of semi-continuous corridor with DTLA is fine with me, but it seems like they're always trying to blur the line between the campus/exposition and the downtown district.

Both campuses are about a mile or so from downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:26 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Is Witmer St. an official city-designated border between the two districts? Also, I don't think that I've heard the term "City West" before. What are its boundaries? 'cause the neighborhoods west of the 110 have always been MacArthur Park (I hate the term Westlake) and Pico-Union to me.
Witmer Street is an approximate western boundary for City West (some may say Union or Bixel). I don't think any of the borders that we're discussing are official. City West is the long narrow strip of neighborhoods west of the 110 Fwy but still east of MacArthur Park.

My map of City West:

Here's a good map also: http://dcbid.cartifactmaps.com/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:31 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
It irritates me when USC tries to include itself in the downtown bunch. Saying that USC is along some sort of semi-continuous corridor with DTLA is fine with me, but it seems like they're always trying to blur the line between the campus/exposition and the downtown district.

Both campuses are about a mile or so from downtown.
Considering the area USC is in, can you blame them? ... I think it all has to do with the area you identify most with.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 9:28 AM

This news could be alluding to the proposed "crown feature" we saw in the AT&T Tower's recent renderings. The restaurant is closing on July 31, which means that possibly shortly after, LBA could start on the crown feature of the building. Eventually, the second phase calls for improved landscaping on the ground level surrounding the tower. Imagine what the R. Mereulo's Grand Tower will do for South Park as it connects the South Group's towers to the AT&T Center! Can't wait!
----------------------

Shutting the Windows

News Brief

One of Downtown's most notable and scenic restaurants, Windows Steaks & Martini's, is shutting its doors as the landlord converts the space to luxury offices, officials announced last week. Windows, on the 32nd floor of the AT&T Center (formerly known as the Transamerica Center) in South Park, will serve its last meal, a lunch, on July 31, said Brad Johnson, whose Brad Johnson & Associates Inc. has operated the space since 2004. Johnson said the restaurant will continue to be fully staffed with about 40 employees (including a server who has been there nearly 40 years) until the closing date. The striking establishment at 1150 S. Olive St. has long been known for its 14-foot floor-to-ceiling windows and its thick steaks. "We're trying to send Windows off with a bit of a cheer," said Johnson, who said he is "parting on good terms" with landlord LBA Realty. Johnson said the space will be turned into luxury office suites. LBA purchased the 900,000-square-foot edifice in 2005 for $130 million and began an extensive renovation, which included a new "skin" for the 1965 building. While he understands the business decision, Johnson said it is tough for the close-knit staff. "You become a family," he said. "We have a really great group of people who are sad that we're breaking up."

page 2, 6/11/2007

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:01 AM

Did anyone see the ad in the LA Times magazine West about Park Fifth Sunday?

Since I don't have the time to keep up with all thats going on can someone tell me if this is a done deal? Has it been approved?

According to the ad, a sales center will be opening this summer. I sure hope this gets built, imagine what Pershing Square could become. Here you have the fancy Biltmore Hotel, condos on the other block one brand new, and the other currently being converted, plus the recent converted subway terminal apartment (I think thats their name), and the already in place subway station on the other corner. There there is the lofts behind the subway station. Man there will be a lot of residents in that square. I could see outdoor cafe's in the park, and perhaps some really nice retail on the ground level of all four blocks surrounding the park. What a happening area and focal point this would be, at least I hope it will be.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:16 AM

Smile check their website

[QUOTE=ChrisLA;2889723]Did anyone see the ad in the LA Times magazine West about Park Fifth Sunday?

http://parkfifth.com/

Click on the penthouse a top the building graphics....you'll see a panoramic view of Los Angeles at night...

keep panning your mouse left to right and down and up just below
the view....

leo daly are working on the construction documents

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:35 AM

Wow!

What a view that will be.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 9:47 AM
SC made me a hippie

...from reading past topics in some of the forums here, and coming from Northern Cali, I have heard left and right the great amount of bad portrayal regarding the city of Los Angeles. Here is an article from the Miami Herald...

Atleast it is portraying LA in a better light...though, i do not think it was nice or ok how they present the homeless in this article. Nobody, wether with a home or not is less than another human. Where is the love? I hate how people love to judge and negatively convey problems out of "issues" that ideally should never exist. We should focus on solutions that help out EVERYONE rather than just some, and destroy any negative judgement toward any individual.

But then again...reality sucks!

Miami Herald

Could Los Angeles be the next great downtown?
BY MICHAEL MARTINEZ
San Jose Mercury News

LOS ANGELES --
Strip away the traffic and the smog, the endless stretches of freeway, the concrete sprawl and the tiresome Hollywood glitterati, and maybe ... just maybe ... Los Angeles isn't such a bad place to visit.

If you can get past all the things people love to hate about it, L.A. -- 4 million people, 467 square miles -- has undiscovered appeal for those who venture downtown: old movie houses, art deco buildings, thriving fashion and jewelry districts, open-air markets, and performing arts centers.

OK, so it might not be as popular as Malibu or the Magic Kingdom. But big cities across the United States are becoming popular destinations as their downtowns are reimagined, cleaned up and redeveloped. Now Los Angeles' downtown is on the verge of a renaissance.

''Waterfront revitalization in Boston, Baltimore and even New York have attracted significant visitor arrivals to those downtowns,'' said travel expert Don George, formerly with Lonely Planet Publications, now editing a Web site called Don's Place. ``Philadelphia has spiffed up its downtown in the past five years and become a tourist magnet again.

``In terms of L.A., I've been amazed at how its downtown has evolved. The whole area is like night and day.''

What's there to do?

You can take a walking tour of architectural wonders. Or attend a symphony at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Eat at Grand Central Market, a bazaar of ethnic foods from Asian seafood to Salvadoran pupusas. Or prowl the busy jewelry and fashion districts.

And stay into the evening. Although downtown has always had two faces -- alive and busy during the day, quiet and empty by sunset as workers head for the suburbs -- it's slowly becoming a round-the-clock destination. Hundreds of vintage buildings, shuttered and ignored for decades, are being brought back to life as office and living space, enough to make developers and historians thankful they weren't razed. Many commercial buildings are now condos and loft-style apartments; more than 7,000 new units have opened since 1999, with at least that many under construction.

An increase in population has helped spawn more restaurants and clubs, allowing visitors to enjoy a nightlife that didn't exist in the past. And the city's homeless population, which once would have discouraged a nighttime visit, has decreased as a result of police intervention.

All of which is making the downtown area more inviting for out-of-towners.

''Residential development is creating an area that's open 24 hours a day,'' said Hal Bastian, who heads the city's downtown economic development.

A key component is likely to be LA Live, a 27-acre, $2.5 billion complex across the street from Staples Center (home of the basketball Lakers and Clippers) that tourism officials are touting as a 24-hour experience.

When finished, the complex will be the centerpiece of a rejuvenated downtown. The Nokia Theatre, a 7,100-seat concert venue, is scheduled to open this fall, to be followed by a 54-story hotel tower that will house both the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton, a Grammy Awards museum, a 14-screen movie complex, restaurants and clubs. The rollout should be complete by 2010.

What to do until then? If you visit, you'll have plenty of choices.

Shoppers can stroll the jewelry district, where dealers sell watches, necklaces, stones and precious gems at wholesale prices. St. Vincent Jewelry Center, at one time a Bullock's department store on Hill Street, has more than 450 merchants under one roof. While there, have lunch at Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway, an old-school eatery that has been at that location since 1935.

Then make your way south to Santee Alley -- where the bargain shopping goes on for two blocks. Located in an alley (really) between Santee Street and Maple Avenue, it's an open-air free-for-all: More than 200 stalls sell jeans, sneakers, dresses and jackets at bargain-basement prices. You'll even see designer knockoffs like Dooney & Bourke bags and Prada sunglasses. The police occasionally swoop down on merchants peddling illegal stuff in the open, but few seem deterred.

Surrounding streets are filled with small shops selling fabric (some as cheap as 10 cents a yard), apparel and costume jewelry. Nearby, the flower district is housed in two buildings where visitors can buy anything from carnations to orchids to potted plants -- after retailers have made their purchases for the day. But arrive early or you're likely to miss the best buds.

L.A. Fashion District is a must-see for fashionistas. Although primarily wholesale shops, many are open to the public at discounts up to 70 percent. For women who wear sizes 0 to 4, the high-end contemporary designer showrooms offer sample sales, usually on the last Friday of each month, where end-of-season clothing can be had at bargain prices.

For architecture enthusiasts, the Los Angeles Conservancy has several walking tours that highlight some of the city's varied styles, including classical revival, art deco, renaissance revival and moderne.

Broadway's historic theater district runs from Olympic to Third Street and includes 12 former movie palaces that have been preserved for future improvements. Only the Orpheum, built in 1926 and host to performers such as Judy Garland, Jack Benny and Duke Ellington, has been fully renovated. The others are clearly in need of some tender loving care.

''Our intent is to preserve them so we can find somebody to do something with them,'' said Linda Dishman, executive director of L.A. Conservancy. ``We want to make sure that these treasures are preserved and brought back to life.''

One splendid sight is the Bradbury Building, 304 S. Broadway, the oldest commercial building in central city and still in use as an office building. Walk into the lobby and behold a Victorian court with a broad skylight roof almost 50 feet high, cage elevators, marble stairs and ornate iron railings.

El Pueblo Historical Monument -- more popularly known as Olvera Street -- remains a favorite tourist attraction, as much for its souvenir and crafts stands as its authentic Mexican food. It's considered the birthplace of Los Angeles, and visitors can tour Avila Adobe, the oldest house in L.A.

No matter where you walk, you'll feel a strong Latino influence throughout much of downtown -- Mexican music emanates from stores that sell Spanish-language movies and music, plus electronics, toys, and dresses and accessories for weddings and quinceaneras. It's part of what gives L.A. its character -- lots of diversity, lots of things to see and do.

And while homelessness is visible in some parts, it has been reduced significantly in others. According to police figures, the homeless population downtown has fallen from almost 1,400 in November 2006 to 735 in April; crime also was trimmed by 35 percent in a recent six-month period. The reduction came as a result of a crackdown on crime in skid row and attempts to move the homeless out of the city center as the residential population has increased.

''There's an enormous increase in residential and community development, and it's pressing against those areas which at one time were part of skid row,'' said Michael Collins, executive vice president of the city's convention and visitors bureau. ``Five years ago, Fourth and Main was almost like a homeless encampment. Now, there's a very trendy restaurant on the corner and across the street.''

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West