HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
You know, I have always assumed that the Mondrian was going to be black in color, but it just occured to me that that is probably only because the rendering is of the structure in evening light. Does anyone know for sure? Is this going to be blueish glass?
They were installing the first glass panels on one of the floors when I drove by this morning. The color appeared to be light blue, but it was difficult to tell for certain with the blueish gray overcast skies in the background.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:46 AM

Here is some updated photo's of the tower with the glass being installed. Definitely blue in color. On the 11th floor now with 12 more to go.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 1:32 PM
Nashville born and raised

Renderings of the Proposed 8,000 to 10,000 seat, Triple A ballpark in North Nashville.

It will include some mixed use, private development and a 1,000 car garage. After a land swap with the State of Tennessee is completed, construction can begin. The project was approved and placed in the City's budget and is being designed by the premiere sports facility architect, Populous.

This neighborhood has little retail to support the crowds attending games and I doubt it ever will. Even though it is a few blocks from the downtown high rise district, it is a long way from the tourist and entertainment district on Broadway which has so much activity on NFL football weekends and NHL hockey nights. The neighborhood is becoming 90% low rise residential and will not have an abundance of entertainment services to support the baseball fans.

Also, it doesn't seem to have a footprint that makes it easily expandable to major league size. Tampa, Oakland and Kansas City; your teams are safe for now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
This neighborhood has little retail to support the crowds attending games and I doubt it ever will. Even though it is a few blocks from the downtown high rise district, it is a long way from the tourist and entertainment district on Broadway which has so much activity on NFL football weekends and NHL hockey nights. The neighborhood is becoming 90% low rise residential and will not have an abundance of entertainment services to support the baseball fans.
Thanks for posting that up MidTenn!

While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I do believe that this will be a catatlyst for other development in the area, and it definitely could use it. To what extent I don't know. I think this project is great for the area, and from a watching the news last night, it seems like the majority of people that live in the area overwhelmingly support it.
Quote:
Also, it doesn't seem to have a footprint that makes it easily expandable to major league size. Tampa, Oakland and Kansas City; your teams are safe for now.
I agree...This definitely isn't the type of stadium that you could turn into a MLB in the future. It's just way too small.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 7:30 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I'm curious to see if the ball park will be a catalyst for more development in that neighborhood. The Gulch and SoBro are what's in right now, retailers know it and that's where they'll want to locate. I don't think that a few minor league games a week, every other week will spur much development, BUT if residential is developed before or at the same time as the ball park, then a neighborhood with a small entertainment vibe could pop up and be pretty nice in that area.

Quote:
Oakland isn't moving further than San Jose and the Royals aren't leaving Kansas City. Tampa Bay was the only one threatening to move and it hasn't really gotten them anywhere. I never took those rumors seriously, and I doubt Nashville could support an MLB team right now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
The current stadium neighborhood has less than zero supporting it.

And it's AAA baseball -- most of the attendees will be locals...so proximity to the tourist area is not of great importance.

I disagree with the idea that the neighborhood will not have enough to support the crowds (and never will). While the stadium looks towards downtown, I doubt that's where the fans will be looking before/after the games. They'll do a 180 and head across the street to Germantown, which has quite a few restaurants now, and with the explosive level of development happening there (it rivals any neighborhood in town), I imagine more restaurants and bars will locate there in the future.

Also consider that the stadium is a stones throw from the Farmer's Market, which will allow for plenty of food opportunities during daytime weekend games.

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I would rather have the park squared to the street. I don't think MLB is headed Nashville's way in at least the next 10-15 years...but I think it would be wise for there to be an opportunity to expand if that were a possibility. But then again...this isn't a publicly owned ballpark, right?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:23 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvol85 View Post
But then again...this isn't a publicly owned ballpark, right?
That's correct...at least as I understand. Everything is to be privately funded.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
That's correct...at least as I understand. Everything is to be privately funded.
Well, the city is orchestrating this, so it's not like there's no public involvement (money-wise)...but this is certainly a different deal than our other two stadiums.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 1:19 PM

Nashville's apartment occupancy rates stand at 96.1 percent (pretty much full) even with 2,038 units coming online, and 8,444 units under construction. Pretty remarkable!

Those numbers don't even include Tony's 33 story apartment tower about to start (342 units), the 17 story Music Row Roundabout apartment tower(409 units), 22 story Souther Land tower (300 units), and a bunch of others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Nashville is definitely booming!

Nashville apartment rents his record high
Quote:
The average rent for an apartment in Nashville climbed to $892 in the third quarter, the highest mark ever measured by the Greater Nashville Apartment Association.

Meanwhile, occupancy rates increased a percentage point to 96.1 percent in the quarter, The Tennessean reports, the highest level since the mid-1990s.

The association, which tracks rental rates across Middle Tennessee, points to roaring demand for the 7.5 percent increase in rents over the same period in 2012. This demand also is fueling the building boom. So far this year, 2,038 units have been completed, and 8,444 more were under construction at the end of September.
Also, the article below is saying that greater Nashville’s population is estimated to grow by more than 1 million people in the next 25 years — nearly three times as fast as the entire country.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...n-tap-for.html

Stuff like this always helps too.

Nashville near the top for middle-class jobs
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...e-top-for.html
Quote:
Music City is one the nation’s top creators of most middle-class jobs since the recession, Forbes reports.
Nashville ranks No. 7 among the nation’s 51 largest metro areas, based on employment data. Cities on the list boast more middle-income jobs today than in 2007, according to Forbes.

Last edited by MIRYDI; Oct 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 9:01 PM

^^^ You can add this to the list as well. It was just announced...No details other than an early 2014 groundbreaking, and is to be called 909 Flats. Rest of the the info is behind paywall.

Early 2014 groundbreaking slated for North Nashville apartment building
http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1...tment_building

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:58 PM

Hey guy's, I had Brandon update the first page of the thread with some of the newer larger projects either proposed or under construction.

If anyone is wondering about the Westin hotel render, it was one that was proposed in Norfolk that was scrapped. I just used that one as I think it gives a pretty good idea of what the tower could look like. It's 30 stories just like what is proposed here. I know there is no official render yet, but it's still a solid proposal. Maybe if we're lucky it will turn out looking like that as I think it's a pretty nice tower.

Westin hotel could go up near Music City Center
Out-of-town development group plans 400-room luxury high-rise on roundabout side of convention center
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ic-City-Center
Quote:
An out-of-town development group is pursuing plans to build a Westin hotel on roughly an acre across from the new Music City Center.
Plans call for a 30-story luxury hotel with 400-plus rooms on the site that includes the office building at 304 Ninth Ave. S. now occupied by Carpenter Wright Engineers and Bullock Smith & Partners architects
Quote:
Carpenter Wright and Bullock Smith, also the engineers and architects for the hotel, plan to move their offices to make way for the project. The overall acre-and-a-half site, with 73,000 square feet of space, is bounded by Eighth and Ninth Avenues South, Clark Place and the building at 808 Lea Ave. that is home to Diersen Charities Inc. The hotel will be across from the side of Music City Center near the new roundabout at Eighth Avenue and Korean Veterans Boulevard.
Quote:
Currently, several groups are scouting areas near downtown for new luxury and boutique hotels that hope to capitalize on Nashville’s growing popularity on the national scene plus developments such as the Music City Center convention hall.

Last edited by MIRYDI; Oct 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 4:21 PM

Permit issued for Giarratana's Midtown apartment project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...s-midtown.html
Quote:
Building permits totaling more than $19 million have been issued for Tony Giarratana's apartment project at 2110 Elliston Place.

The 105-unit property, co-developed by Giarratana and Chicago-based LaSalle Investment Management, is known as 21 Elliston, according to the permits.

Included among the permits is one valued at $4.3 million to construct a 148-space parking garage.

Construction work is being led by R.G. Anderson Co.
The project

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 6:18 PM

The downtown Wells Fargo office building just sold and it looks like the new owners are going to convert it into a high-end condo building, or a hotel.

Downtown's Wells Fargo Plaza office building under contract
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-tomorrow.html

The building

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:10 PM

This is pretty cool! An exotic car rental is going to open up in the Gulch. This could be a nice birthday gift to myself to drive one of these bad boys for a couple hours. It says you can rent one for under $1000 a day depending on the car, or lease it hourly. Hell, I would spend $400-$500 to rent a lambo for a couple hours. That would be awesome! Always wanted to drive an exotic car.

Gulch business wants to rent you a Lamborghini. Or a Maserati. Or a Ferrari...
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...il-exotic.html

Quote:
Jonathan Bowman, founder of Music City Dream Cars, is introducing Nashville's first exotic car rental showroom in the Gulch.

Beginning in December, car junkies will be able to rent a variety of high-end and exotic cars from the showroom, including makes like Rolls-Royce, Maserati and Lamborghini.
Quote:
"Nashville is an up and coming city," Bowman said. "We think there's just now a market for this in Nashville.
Quote:
"There are a lot of companies who do this throughout the country, and we wanted to be the first one in Nashville."
Bowman said the short-term leases for the cars would be around under $1,000 per day, depending on the car. Customers will also be able to lease by the hour, week or month.
Quote:
The 7,500-square-foot showroom at 905 Gleaves St. is under renovation and due to open at the beginning of December. (Of course, if you'd rather buy than rent, there's also the new Maserati dealership we wrote about last year.)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:37 PM

Minor League Park/Small by Design

Actually- I am not aware of any minor league ballpark, recently constructed or planned, that has been designed to be expandable to major-league size. In fact, I believe the new ballparks have been designed to offer an experience that contrasts with those of most major league parks. They are going for an intimate, walkable and family-friendly experience in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac61 View Post
Actually- I am not aware of any minor league ballpark, recently constructed or planned, that has been designed to be expandable to major-league size. In fact, I believe the new ballparks have been designed to offer an experience that contrasts with those of most major league parks. They are going for an intimate, walkable and family-friendly experience in the middle of the city.
I'm sure your right.

There was some talk about it being expanded on another forum. I'm not sure how the discussion got started, or if there was an article somewhere at one time that suggested that this could be a possibility if a new minor league stadium was built...or even if it was just hopes and dreams...but I think that's why it was brought up.

Welcome to the forum by the way...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 1:35 PM

Project of the week!

Hardly a week goes by without news of some significant development and here is this weeks.

Not much info on it. Probably planned for the West End area just west of Centennial Park.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Hardly a week goes by without news of some significant development and here is this weeks.

Not much info on it. Probably planned for the West End area just west of Centennial Park.
Nice! Is there a link to this project? I haven't heard anything about this one.

In other news.

More talk of luxury hotels scouting Nashville. On top of Four Seasons, now Trump is reportedly looking at properties as well. Mark Bloom seem's to think there will be several high-end luxury hotels being built in the next couple years.

Looking forward to see what comes of this. Having Four Seasons here would be big for Nashville. Having Trump build a hotel here would be huge!

Nashville's Gulch neighborhood may be ripe for luxury hotel
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...e-luxury-hotel
Quote:
Gulch developer MarketStreet Enterprises owns a site at 11th Avenue South and Pine Street that’s drawing buzz about a potential hotel project. Meanwhile, local real estate investor Mark Bloom said well-known luxury brands such as Four Seasons and Trump have inquired in recent months about the 1.29-acre Griffin Plaza site, which he owns along with other partners.
Quote:
“The large convention center hotel market is downtown,” said Bloom, who has stakes in the Union Station and Hilton Nashville Downtown hotels. “But the Gulch is going to be the boutique super-luxury destination for the brands that are now starting to consider Nashville a priority.”
Quote:
Last week, chatter about MarketStreet’s site increased in real estate circles after workers were seen taking soil samples, typically a sign that a site is being prepared for construction.
Quote:
The luxury lifestyle Thompson Hotels brand, which is part of San Francisco-based Commune Hotels & Resorts, is mentioned as having an interest in MarketStreet’s Gulch site.
Quote:
If the luxury hotel that’s the buzz goes up on that site, Bloom sees it being the first of more to come. Over the next four years, he sees two or more high-end hotels here that hadn’t had Nashville on their radar.

Also, the 13 story Hyatt Place hotel is set to open November, 12th.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...to_open_nov_12

Render

This is the newes picture I've seen of the hotel. It's still under construction in this picuture, and some details are still missing like the signage.

Last edited by MIRYDI; Nov 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:36 PM

Gulch Update

The Fairfield Inn in the Gulch is a somewhat modest development by Nashville standards, but it will have an impact on the area as it adds to the density and massing of the street fronts.

And the "12th and Laurel' is coming along fine.

Site prep work progressing for the Gulch Crossings project.

The render...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 1:02 PM

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]The Fairfield Inn in the Gulch is a somewhat modest development by Nashville standards, but it will have an impact on the area as it adds to the density and massing of the street fronts.
Thanks for the pic's MidTenn!

Pretty incredible how much the Gulch has grown over the years. Seem's like everything we have seen so far is just the beginning too.

I'm really not a fan of the Fairfield Inn at all. It reminds me of the old run down Day's Inn hotel on the East bank. Oh well...it is what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations