HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:36 AM
NYC Lover

My Lego Skyline

BY hurricanewilky on flickr

I dont have many legos to use but I made what I could with what I had Love NYC, I have more pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/hurrica...n/photostream/It starts with some pics at night with the lightsI hooked up.then there are pics at day time.

Last edited by hurricanewilky; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:27 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Well, I didn't win the lottery, so I had to build something smaller and cheaper. Here's a small Burj Al Arab in the scale and style of the LEGO Architecture kits.
In some ways the smaller Burj Al Arab is more impressive than the larger model.

This model indicates to me that LEGO should have had an open competitive system for the Architectural series rather than relying on one designer. I, of course, do not know the details of the contract between LEGO and Mr. Tucker or who approached who but nevertheless one can ponder what is best for the "Art of LEGO" vs that of the individuals involved.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:06 AM

I'm a bit of a noob to serious LEGO building, mostly because I've never really had enough bricks to play around with.

Now, I've tried my hand at creating one of my favorite (former) skyscrapers, L.A.'s old Richfield Building, partly because I could not find any LEGO models of it with a cursory search of the web. I spent the better part of my Easter break making it in LDD. Though I am quite proud of it, I'm not really sure how well I built it - It may in fact implode upon itself if constructed in real life.

Also, It has 6,500 bricks, which I doubt I can afford to buy.

And to top that, LDD freezes up whenever I try to make the building guide, so I don't know what specific amounts of bricks I need.

But I imagine my pictures are what you guys would be more interested in (sorry the bricks aren't in HQ renders, my computer is really quite slow) :

Also, I built it in MineCraft a few years back:

All pictures are.. courtesy of me, I suppose. Sorry if they're too big.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:50 AM
Legomancer

Here's my latest LEGO project - A series of New York style row buildings. Thanks to the Legoland Discovery Center that opened up just two blocks from me and the fact they sell bricks by the pound there for cheap, it has allowed me to build these in a surprisingly short amount of time and with much greater detail than the last series of row buildings I built (and sold last year).

Here's the Gallery that shows close-ups and detail. (May take a day or so until it becomes public)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:22 AM
Is That LEGO?

The new World Trade Center by Spencer_R, on Flickr

Ten years of waiting. Five years of study and planning. One year of building. 32lbs of LEGO. 20,000+ pieces. Same scale as my others.

Special thanks to Otie, STR, The Grand Architect, and others for their helpful renderings and data.

The model will be combined with rjb001's World Financial Center at Brickworld this summer in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:47 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Astounding work! The incorporation of slope bricks and wedge plates to close would-be gaps in the towers' facades is really slick

The whole thing is visually pleasing, top-notch, and greatly thought-provoking! Can't wait to connect it to my upcoming WFC at Brickworld! The whole collaborative will probably weigh around 60 pounds!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Very cool! Can't wait to see this in person.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
NYC Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanewilky View Post

BY hurricanewilky on flickr

I dont have many legos to use but I made what I could with what I had Love NYC, I have more pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/hurrica...n/photostream/It starts with some pics at night with the lightsI hooked up.then there are pics at day time.
sweet figured out how to put pics

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:30 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanewilky View Post
sweet figured out how to put pics
Looks great in front of the cityscape painting. Is that bridge made of LEGO too?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:13 AM

Quote:

The new World Trade Center by Spencer_R, on Flickr

Ten years of waiting. Five years of study and planning. One year of building. 32lbs of LEGO. 20,000+ pieces. Same scale as my others.

Special thanks to Otie, STR, The Grand Architect, and others for their helpful renderings and data.

The model will be combined with rjb001's World Financial Center at Brickworld this summer in Chicago.
Incredible. Are you going to donate it or hang onto it yourself? I wish I was going to be in Chicago just so I could see it in person.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
NYC Lover

Quote:
Looks great in front of the cityscape painting. Is that bridge made of LEGO too?
Thanks ,no they are 3sets metal bookends put together

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:19 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Incredible. Are you going to donate it or hang onto it yourself? I wish I was going to be in Chicago just so I could see it in person.
or as an artist, he's got another option which is to sell or auction it.

Stunning JSR. No joke that is a work of art and proper compensation is certainly reasonable alternative if you were so inclined. Thanks for producing it and best of luck to you and it whatever route you decide!

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 9:21 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
or as an artist, he's got another option which is to sell or auction it.

Stunning JSR. No joke that is a work of art and proper compensation is certainly reasonable alternative if you were so inclined. Thanks for producing it and best of luck to you and it whatever route you decide!
No way that I would ever sell it.

However I certainly don't mind putting things out on public display where they can be enjoyed by many. I've been lucky enough to get my work piggybacked onto a couple of LEGO related museum exhibits in recent years. So we'll have to see what future opportunities arise.

It would be nice to bring this to NYC at some point in the future. I suspect that some of the people involved with 1WTC have seen my model of it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:44 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Quote:
It would be nice to bring this to NYC at some point in the future. I suspect that some of the people involved with 1WTC have seen my model of it.
I should imagine that they may offer you some sort of venue to display it there. Possibly at the museum or in one of the towers' lobbies.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 2:56 PM

How to build a Lego skyscraper replica

Hi, I really admire all of the creations you guys have shared on this forum with us. Congratulations, they are amazing!

I saw my first Lego skyscraper on mocpages.com about two years and have been wanting to build one ever since. I used to live in NYC about 2 years ago and really got an appreciation and love for tall office buildings.

I now live in Barranquilla (Colombia) and wanted to recreate some of our local buildings in Lego but I have no idea how/where to start.

I downloaded the Lego Digital Designer software program to my computer but still haven't taught myself how to use it. I also figured out the best way to get the Lego pieces would be on www.bricklink.com but that's pretty much all I know right now.

How would I start the building of a Lego skyscraper? How do I know what pieces to get?

I've seen on-line some people use a 1:650 ratio (http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/8606), a 1:350 ratio (http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/58240), and a 1:150 ratio (http://www.seankenney.com/portfolio/yankee_stadium/). What is the best scale to use to make the Lego figures as realistic looking as possible?

The height of the actual building I want to build is 85 m high so I think a scale of 1:650 or 1:350 might make the final replica a bit too small (13 and 24 cm, respectively). A 1:150 would be 56 cm. I would like the final building to be somewhere around 40 and 60 cm but of course I'm totally open to suggestions and recommendations from experienced builders.

Also, how would the prices vary much depending on the scale that is used? How much, more or less, should I be expecting to spend on the Lego skyscraper replica?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. Hope I can contribute to the forum and share my Lego replica with you sometime in the future!

Again, thank you so much for sharing your pictures and congratulations on all of your amazing Lego replicas!

PS. For those that are curious, I'm including some pictures of the building I want to build. It's called the Miss Universe building because of it's 90-60-90 shape and it's used as an office building for mining companies in Colombia. Although not the tallest, it's one of the iconic and most recognizable buildings in my city.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:44 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro1983 View Post
What is the best scale to use to make the Lego figures as realistic looking as possible?
A 1:150 would be 56 cm. I would like the final building to be somewhere around 40 and 60 cm but of course I'm totally open to suggestions and recommendations from experienced builders.
Welcome to SSP!
I think you already answered your own question about scale. Nevertheless, if your budget permits it, you might consider a larger scale such as 1:100 or even 1:50.

If you select 1:100 scale your building would be about 3 feet high. You could scale up the ground floor to a larger scale so the LEGO mini-figures would look better. The LEGOland miniland skyscrapers are like this - as far as I can tell the ground floor and maybe a few more floors are the 1:20 "Miniland" scale and the rest of the building is at 1:50 or even 1:60 scale.

If you select 1:50 scale your building is almost 6 feet high and about four times more expensive ...but the entire structure would be close to mini figure scale!

As for parts, I would try to build a two story corner portion of the building several times until you get the right proportions and scale that you like and then figure out the approximate total number of parts from there.

You may get very different advice from other builders....

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Welcome to SSP!
Nevertheless, if your budget permits it, you might consider a larger scale such as 1:100 or even 1:50.

If you select 1:50 scale your building is almost 6 feet high and about four times more expensive ...but the entire structure would be close to mini figure scale!

As for parts, I would try to build a two story corner portion of the building several times until you get the right proportions and scale that you like and then figure out the approximate total number of parts from there.
DecoJim, thank you so much for your reply and your help!! I wasn't sure if I was gonna get any help because I'm sure you builders must be really, busy people but I appreciate it you taking for time.

I really have no idea about the costs for the buildings. Would you have an idea about the approximate costs for the 1:100 and the 1:50 scale buildings? For budget, I was planning on visiting the City Council and asking if they would sponsor the project or, if not, visiting local merchants in malls and asking for support in return for displaying the buildings in their mall. When I present the project to them I want to to tell them approximate size of the buildings and costs.

As for parts, that sounds like a good idea about the corner. Once I have a spending budget that'll be the way to start. Do you start your building with Lego Digital Designer at all or just hands-on?

For these skyscrapers, do they use the regular Lego blocks or the thin ones (or does it vary with scale)? Do you have any idea how I could achieve that curved look of the building?

Again, thank you very much for your help and for your warm welcome to the site!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:58 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

I am afraid I will not be able to do your cost estimates. They are hard enough to do whenever I get asked for a commissioned project. So far most of my estimates have been too high for my potential customers, but I would rather lose a commission than work for a pittance or even at a loss.

Quote:
I really have no idea about the costs for the buildings. Would you have an idea about the approximate costs for the 1:100 and the 1:50 scale buildings?
My general advice is to figure out a scale you might want to build in and estimate the number of LEGO parts needed. I generally assume a cost of 10 cents per part and then add an additional 50 - 100% for labor depending on how challenging the project is. Spencer, Arthur and others who do commissioned projects most likely charge for commissioned projects using different criteria.

Quote:
As for parts, that sounds like a good idea about the corner. Once I have a spending budget that'll be the way to start. Do you start your building with Lego Digital Designer at all or just hands-on?
As you have probably seen, some builders use LDD but for me LEGO is a way to escape computers for a few hours. I take photos, draw a floor plan to scale, order parts, and then start building.

Quote:
For these skyscrapers, do they use the regular Lego blocks or the thin ones (or does it vary with scale)? Do you have any idea how I could achieve that curved look of the building?
If you build in micro- or nano- scale you can use 1 stud wide plates or bricks with no problem (Spencer is the expert in that scale). There are often techniques employed such as facades consisting of sideways plates and tiles to add detail. Most of my structures have 2 stud thick walls with some internal cross beams. In my Fisher Building model (my largest model), the main piers between the windows are four studs thick.

Quote:
Do you have any idea how I could achieve that curved look of the building?
If I were building that structure, I would look into simply stepping each floor in or out one stud near the top and bottom of the building and by 1/2 stud near the middle. There are various methods of creating 1/2 stud offsets. For example, there is a 2x2 plate with 1 stud in the center. You could put one of these at each corner of the top of the 6th floor for example and put tiles elsewhere along the perimeter. The 7th floor would then just cover those four studs and leave a 1/2 stud setback all-around.

From there just take whatever LEGO you have now (or order some) and start experimenting.

-Jim

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:49 PM

Lately, Ive been thinking....for those of us not part of a LUG (who cannot partake in lugbulk), we should organize a couple people in cities that have lego stores and buy specific legos that we want in bulk, instead of buying from the profit-makers on bricklink...any thoughts??

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:07 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Welcome to SSP!

You may get very different advice from other builders....
This is good advice. Prototype your technique on a small section of the building first. I often do this to test structural integrity as well as evaluate color and appearance. Sometime I completely change my initial modeling approach based on the outcomes of these test trial builds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art