HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:53 AM

The Other San Francisco Pt. 3: Lakeview

For those who missed the last two in the series on San Francisco's other side:

Pt. 1: Excelsior

Pt. 2: Bayview

"Lakeview" is the catch-all for the neighborhoods between the streets Junipero Serra Blvd, Ocean Ave, San Jose Ave and Sagamore/Brotherhood Way. The area is known for being where City College SF is located, but among SF natives and Bay Area natives familiar with SF below the Mission, it was known for being one of SF's primarily black areas. "Was" is used because it is the black population that has declined the most in the last decade; it went from being 60%+ black in the 1980's to around a quarter black in the present. The white, asian and hispanic populations have increased very significantly, though asians (and to a lesser extent hispanics) were always well-represented in the area.

Lakeview is largely a middle class area, though there are exceptions at both ends of the spectrum. What's interesting about Lakeview is that it is one of the only areas in San Francisco where income does not wildly change the racial demographics. While Ingleside Terrace has a larger white population than the other neighborhoods within Lakeview, the others all have significant white populations, and all but Ingleside Terrace are about equally balanced between whites, blacks, hispanics and asians. This is reflected in the businesses throughout the area; one can find a wide variety of restaurants and shops on Ocean Ave and throughout the neighborhood.

Some would say that the diversity in Lakeview is only temporary due to the increased gentrification; if the trends continue, Lakeview will be predominantly white and asian by 2020 much like the rest of the city and the black population will have halved itself. As it stands now though, it is one of SF's more interesting "up and coming" areas and remains off of the radar of most who aren't from the Bay Area.

Here's the list of neighborhoods shown:

Ingleside
Ingleside Terrace
Merced Heights
Ingleside Heights
Oceanview

Shout out to Don A.K.A. Paypa Boy of Dream Team for his time (he's the man pictured in 3 of the 4 portraits).

Here's some Lakeview listening...

Video Link

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)

24)

25)

26)

27)

28)

29)

30)

31)

32)

33)

34)

35)

36)

37)

38)

39)

40)

41)

42)

43)

44)

45)

46)

47)

48)

49)

50)

51)

52)

53)

54)

55)

56)

57)

58)

59)

60)

61)

62)

63)

64)

65)

Thanks for viewing my thread. All feedback is appreciated and will be returned.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:57 PM

I particularly enjoy seeing photos showcasing views from the SF area. I especially liked #40.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:07 PM

Nice pics! The "other" SF is the best SF (but it's all great ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
if the trends continue, Lakeview will be predominantly white and asian by 2020
That doesn't sound entirely correct. The latino population in Lakeview has grown more than the white one over the years in my estimation, and is definitely a bit larger when looking at the stats. The biggest groups in Lakeview seem to be: Asian, followed by Latino, then Black, then white. By 2020 i would expect the area to be majority Asian, with larger latino and white populations as well, most likely with latinos as the larger of the two groups. The black population looks like it will probably keep shrinking though, unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Nice pics! The "other" SF is the best SF (but it's all great ).

That doesn't sound entirely correct. The latino population in Lakeview has grown more than the white one over the years in my estimation, and is definitely a bit larger when looking at the stats. The biggest groups in Lakeview seem to be: Asian, followed by Latino, then Black, then white. By 2020 i would expect the area to be majority Asian, with larger latino and white populations as well, most likely with latinos as the larger of the two groups. The black population looks like it will probably keep shrinking though, unfortunately.
The reason why I think the white population will grow more quickly than the latino population is because of Lakeview's proximity to BART (and thus to DT SF jobs) and the ramping up of redevelopment (condos) in the neighborhood. Wealthier latinos who are from San Francisco tend to move out of urban areas (like the Mission) into more suburban areas. I think upwardly mobile middle class latinos are more likely to move to the neighborhoods above Lakeview than they are into Lakeview proper. Working class families in general most likely won't be able to afford Lakeview in a couple of years, and whites/asians make up by far the largest share of SF's middle/upper middle class.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Now THIS is an awesome tour!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:16 PM

Your photography skills and the quality of your photography has really been impressive lately. Did you purchase a new camera or something?

Some of these areas of SF actually feel, in my opinion, very dingy and run-down. I don't think gentrification would necessarily be a bad thing. I guess I'm one of those people who don't think hood = better.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Your photography skills and the quality of your photography has really been impressive lately. Did you purchase a new camera or something?
Nope, same camera. I've been using the same camera (Canon S95) for a little over a year now. The only thing that changed is that I'm processing the images now (i.e. adjusting contrast, exposure, etc). Other than that, I've just become more selective of what shots I take when I'm actually out taking them and more conscious of what angle bests fits the subject.

Quote:
Some of these areas of SF actually feel, in my opinion, very dingy and run-down. I don't think gentrification would necessarily be a bad thing. I guess I'm one of those people who don't think hood = better.
I don't think hood is "better", but depending on who you are the hood can feel more accepting than the "nice" neighborhoods. Ultimately it's just about where you're comfortable... I understand why some wouldn't feel comfortable in Lakeview just as I understand why some wouldn't feel comfortable in Cow Hollow. Personally, I'm comfortable just about wherever I go in the City... there's one or two exceptions on the far extremes of the spectrum (Hunters Point projects, Mission Bay) that I'd probably feel uncomfortable in but in general, I feel I can go most places without being conscious of where I am or what other people are doing relative to me. The exceptions are generally places that I have no reason to go to anyway so they rarely ever cross my mind.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:09 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Bravo!
The Bay area never ceases to please.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:00 PM

I've been to SF many times but never knew this area even existed (except on a map of course). Very interesting and worth spending some time in............you do great work and thanks for sharing. I truly love SF

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 PM

Great tour. I use to take the K line down Ocean Avenue to Balboa Park Bart just for the ride. Isn't there a Whole Foods opening up in the area soon? If so, then it's definitely changing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Some very nice photos here.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 11:14 PM

Black Mega Man FTW!

Great tour. This is a killer shot:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 11:24 PM

I like this one, great thread.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
44)

A great collection...I really liked this one.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:11 AM

Awesome shots and great tour!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:35 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for the thread and tour, stepper77!

Very nice pictures. I like the views and the houses.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:32 AM

I love the otherside of sf we rarely see. Very well composed thread.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Paradise Island

Nice! Your threads keep getting better. I've never been to San Francisco and this is a perspective of it I've never seen before.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:31 PM
furified freestyle

dude, this thread is excellent. another section of "other" san francisco i've never seen. there's a lot of uniquely san franciscan and uniquely californian views here. and then there's the one okayyou reposted.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:11 PM
International

Definitely not an area we see much of. I remember exploring this area back in '09 - has it gentrified since then? It stills looks pretty much the same. What SF/Bay Areas do you have next in store? And, also, have you found out where you will be moving this fall? Thanks for the tour! The views are off the hook, and the colors and levels of saturation in your photos have both changed for the better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos