HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:51 AM
Meh

Anyone have advice? Someone wants to use my photos, (first time).

Hi folks,

it's finally happened. Someone who Googled for images of Austin and was led to SkyscraperPage.com, wishes to use one of my photos for their website.

They want to use this photo for their website.

The website is The Graduate Real Estate Society website at the University of Texas.

He sent me an example of what he might use it for, here's the actual page with my image integrated into the website:
http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/studen...esty_index.asp

What I'm asking about here is, should I ask for a fee, or no? Or should I just ask for credit? Outside of Emporis.com, this is the first time someone has wanted to use one of my photos.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:58 AM
Posh

Hmm, dunno what to say. It's up to you, really. If you think it's for a worthwhile purpose and they're not going to make a lot of $$ from the use of your photo, I'd just let them have it (maybe just ask for a mention and a link to your website, or something). But if they're gonna make $$ off your photo I'd ask for $$ in return.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:21 PM
Mooderator

I've had a couple of people ask to use my pics on flickr.. one was doing a thesis, another wanted to make a calendar for her niece.. I just asked (or rather, they suggested) to put my name as a credit. I figured 'that's fine'.

With corporations or institutions, I'd probably ask for some $$.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 3:02 PM
Red October standing by

i made a thread like this about 6 months ago, but i guess it got pruned...it had a lot of great advice and price ranges from people (including Don B...we miss that guy, don't we?)

i sold my first pic to a law firm for their web site; basically you'll want to sell them a license to use it on their web site, keeping your rights to use it again with other clients, duration, etc...(Mayday did a good job on the legalese on the last thread.)

they're a student organization so i don't know how much they'd be willing to pay (Commercial clients can and should pay a lot more.) have they asked you for a price?

good luck and congrats on getting the offer. i can e-mail you the document of the contract for my sale for reference if you want.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:50 PM

Someone wanted to buy one of my photos once, but I never heard back after I named a price.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 7:44 PM

I always give my photos away for free. I don't feel good enough to sell them to anyone. I guess it's better that way, because now I have a bunch of magazines, high rises, and other credentials for a moment in which I would want to sell them. I think the most important thing is that you get some sort of credit.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 7:59 PM

Someone approached me to buy one skyline photo of Hamilton for use as a backdrop at a conference. It took me by surprise and had no idea how much to charge, so I said $20. I didn't sell the photo outright, I just told them they could use it for this one event. I think I could have got more, but I didn't want to scare them away, it was less about the money than the tiny bit of prestige of being able to say I sold a photo.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:34 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

As some people have said, it's pretty tough to get educational institutions like that one to be able to pay for photos. I've found from experience that they will usually use someone else if you try to charge them.

For commercial use, I usually charge $95/photo if it's one I've already taken. Many of my customers are graphic design firms that are doing a brochure, website, or advertisement for a corporation or organization. In this case, if you're contacted by a web designer, they're usually making money even if the site is for a non-profit or institution, so you should charge in that case.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:54 PM
Meh

Thanks, guys.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPhilly View Post
As some people have said, it's pretty tough to get educational institutions like that one to be able to pay for photos. I've found from experience that they will usually use someone else if you try to charge them.

For commercial use, I usually charge $95/photo if it's one I've already taken. Many of my customers are graphic design firms that are doing a brochure, website, or advertisement for a corporation or organization. In this case, if you're contacted by a web designer, they're usually making money even if the site is for a non-profit or institution, so you should charge in that case.
BTW, please excuse me for resurrecting this thread...

Just curious, how often do you get contacts from people who want to buy your photos?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveofCali View Post
Just curious, how often do you get contacts from people who want to buy your photos?
About once every week or two.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 11:48 PM

^ Same for me. I sell about 20 print photos a month and my prices vary. It depends on whether:

a) who wants it (whether they are a friend, private individual or company);

b) why they want it (personal use, website, brochure, profit); and

c) how much they want (bulk/larger numbers always result in a discount).

For friends who just want a smaller image for a desktop screensaver, there's no charge.

For friends and casual users, I usually charge $5 for a 8x10 print, $10 for 11x17 and $20 for 13x19. 13x19 is the largest print I can generate on my printer - for 20x30, I send those out to be developed and charge a minimum of $50. This covers my ink and paper charges, with a little extra thrown in for my time and effort.

For companies, I usually charge double to triple the above prices.

However, I've sold as many as ten photos at a time to companies and provided decent discounts as a result, because they are buying in bulk. I've also had friends and family buy from 3 to 6 prints at a time to redecorate their homes, and I discount that as well. $140 to $200 usually ends up being the target price for this kind of a grouping.

Many commercial customers want only the digital images to develop, print or use on their own (e.g. I don't generate prints for them). For these purchases, the use and volume determines the cost.

I sell every year about eight images to an ad agency in San Diego who uses them for a real estate relo guide. Because of the volume and repeat customer (three years in a row now), I charge them a flat fee of $250.

For a local real estate company here in Phoenix (I do all of their corporate photoshoots, for example), I give them a steep discount on photos they buy from me. Usually runs about $400 a year for about 20 photos that they use intermittently and on their website.

Obviously, if I'm hired to take the photos and am paid for my time (rates start at $50 an hour and go up to about $100 per hour), I don't charge them for the images, as they belong to the customer.

I do all of the photography for my law school and they get a sweet $50 rate as a result of the volume they send my way. I usually bill them about $200 a month for a couple of photoshoots, and I've sold dozens of prints and other digital images to both students and staff, including $250 worth of photo prints for the mediation clinic. This has been a real gold mine for me.

For weddings (I average about one per month), I usually charge about $400 for a standard 2-hour shoot. They get their own prints, which is less hassle for me. I just post process a few of the best, burn everything to a custom printed CD and give that to them.

I also shoot about five real estate listings per month at $75 a pop. This usually takes about 15 minutes of actual shooting. They get about 20 photos, from which the realtor picks the six best for MLS.

Overall, I've been doing very well with photography, as I'm averaging about $1k per month with it. Perfect gig for someone as busy as I am in law school.

Hope this helps.

--don

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography