HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 2:12 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Summersides logo is surprisingly good...however it is the 4TH logo in a 7 team league to feature lightning!!! show some imagination people!!

The Oshawa logo is OK...but it has a PICTURE of a basketball...big time logo no no...render that as a vector drawing of a bball (a la summerside) and it would be much better...and the "flare" around the edges is pointless bling and would be impossible to replicate on a jersey. I'm guessing that wont remain. I will say though with a name like POWER I'm happy they didn't use a frickin lightning bolt

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 8:12 PM

Apparently the Rainmen are set to announce some big signings, one being pretty signifigant

maybe an NBA player or two, im guessing its not any huge stars but i can still hope, lol

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Apparently the Rainmen are set to announce some big signings, one being pretty signifigant

maybe an NBA player or two, im guessing its not any huge stars but i can still hope, lol
Quote:
The Halifax Rainmen have scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m. Monday to announce to a player signing team president Andre Levingston describes as "undoubtedly the largest in franchise history".

With the current labour strife in the National Basketball Association, the fledgling Canadian league has been courting NBA players as an alternative to Europe.
Source

More here: http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...-up-his-sleeve

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Former NBAers Eddie Robinson, Rodney Buford join Rainmen

PHILIP CROUCHER
METRO HALIFAX
Published: September 19, 2011 11:32 a.m.
Last modified: September 19, 2011 11:35 a.m.

The Halifax Rainmen have added two former NBAers for the upcoming season.

Eddie Robinson, a guard-forward who played five seasons in the NBA with the Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls, and shooting guard Rodney Buford, who suited up for a handful of different teams in a five-year NBA career, were announced as signings by the team at a press conference Monday morning at the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame.

Robinson and Buford both told a large media contingent they are looking forward to spending the season in Halifax and helping the team win a championship in the new National Basketball League of Canada.
More here:
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...d-join-rainmen

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 10:17 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Thanks for the information. This could become a significant Canadian national league if it can stick around for at least the next 10-20 years and become established.

Hopefully it will grow to be strong enough that the salary cap can be raised to a level where they can get many more experience basketball players.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 6:51 PM

Saint John vs. Quebec a dry run for potential Fredericton

Published Wednesday September 28th, 2011

NABL Exhibition | Saint John vs. Quebec a dry run for potential Fredericton franchise in pro hoop loop

B1 By BILL HUNT

hunt.bill@dailygleaner.com

The Saint John Mill Rats of the new National Basketball League of Canada will host the Quebec Kebs in a preseason exhibition game at the new Currie Center at 2 p.m. on that Sunday, a game that Fredericton basketball enthusiast Kelly Lamrock admits will be a gauge of Fredericton's interest in pursuing its own franchise in the new league.

Just under 1,500 seats -- $12 for general admission rush seating, $16 for courtside seats on the floor -- will be available online beginning Monday through the Fredericton playhouse website (theplayhouse.ca) or through the Mill Rats website.

Lamrock and Mill Rats general manager Ian McCarthy -- also the league's co-founder -- first made contact a year ago, during the Mill Rats' stint in the ill-fated Premier Basketball League.

"We just stayed in touch with him, and he invited us to see if this would be a good idea to guage the market for his group," said McCarthy. "We thought 'Fredericton is only 45 minutes away, so it wouldn't be a bad opportunity for us to showcase the product to some fans who maybe haven't made it down to Saint John yet."

McCarthy is optimistic the game will sell out.

"They should be gone before the day of the game, I would think," he said. "I've already had some youth groups contact some minor basketball teams that want to get blocks of tickets."

McCarthy said the Mill Rats "are looking pretty good. We're anxious to get the season going. We're negotiating with a few NBA and former NBA players."

Former UNB stalwart Mike Anderson of Saint John was part of the Mill Rats roster last year. McCarthy said while management has not sat down with him to negotiate a new deal, "I think we would encourage him to play in this game anyway, since it's at his alma mater."

The Currie Center, the $62 million athletic and convocation facility on campus, will host the Eric Garland basketball tournament hosted by the Varsity Reds men's squad beginning Friday night and the Helen Campbell tourney hosted by the women Oct. 7-8.

"We've got a great venue," said Lamrock. "The Currie Center has just enough seats to allow a franchise to play out of there. It's a fantastic fan experience. The big challenge is, can Fredericton consistently fill it? This will be a good chance to see whether or not there are enough people who want to buy tickets to see great basketball."

The Mill Rats operated in the Premier Basketball League last season, but withdrew due to officiating controversies. They broke off with ownership of the Halifax Rainmen and Quebec Kebs to form the new National Basketball League of Canada, which will begin its first season in November.

The Moncton Miracles, Summerside, PEI Storm, Oshawa, Ont. Power and London, Ont. Lightning are the other franchises in the fledgling circuit. Saint John will have two more preseason games, Oct. 26 and 27 before beginning the regular season Nov. 4 in Summerside.

Lamrock sees the exhibition as a litmus test for Fredericton's professional basketball future.

"There's no question it is," said Lamrock. "There were a couple of things investors here wanted to see. Could the three teams get a new league off the ground? We knew they were well run franchises but would there be a Canadian model that works? The second is to see whether there's enough interest in Fredericton for professional basketball?"

He's been in contact with Mill Rats general manager Ian McCarthy about bringing players in to visit local schools prior to the game and said that, much like at Mill Rat games at Harbour Station last year, players will stay around and be accessible to fans after the game.

"They really do have a great kid friendly and family friendly approach," said Lamrock, who attended many games with his family at Harbour Station last year. "We want to emulate that right from our very introduction to the league."

Lamrock said he and Mill Rats considered the larger Aitken Centre, just up the road from the Currie Center, as a venue for the game. 'but the fan experience there for basketball just isn't quite the same," he said. "It's a great hockey facility. But the Currie Center offers an intimacy and a fan experience that makes it better, if the numbers can work. Right now, on the league's revenue model, they can."

Lamrock said his hope is that a strong showing from the Fredericton community would attract investors and corporate support that would allow the city to pursue an expansion franchise in the league.

"We need a layer of capital and a layer of corporate support," said Lamrock. "We've got a little bit of both. But to get all the way there, we're going to need to take that next step. We've sort of set this goal to demonstrate to potential investors that both the league and the city can work. If this works, then we're going to reach out to the corporate community and we may even soon be at the point where we could look at a season ticket drive."

However, much hinges on the success of the Oct. 23 matchup.

"It's a great chance to show the local market and to spend a year showing that this league has some stability," he said. "I think the management team the league has, combined with the early results, they're doing their part. Now we just have to see if the city can step up. We don't have anything yet. We have a group of people who, in the right circumstances, would be prepared to put up some money."

Lamrock said McCarthy has been "nothing but helpful," as a mentor to Fredericton interests in the circuit.

"He's been a really great mentor since we first started looking at the old PBL," said Lamrock. "We've met on and off and he and the other charter owners in Canada have been very good at answering questions. We're excited to be able to put this event together for them. Even if it doesn't lead to a team in Fredericton, maybe it can lead to a very permanent relationship with a great franchise in Saint John and introducing Frederictonians to what really is a great product."

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1443477

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 10:25 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Now Freddy wants in? They may as well call this the Maritime Basketball League (with a couple expansion teams) haha.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Now Freddy wants in? They may as well call this the Maritime Basketball League (with a couple expansion teams) haha.
Should be interesting to see the attendance numbers for this game. Would be great to see Fredericton join next season.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 7:29 PM

New Moncton pro basketball team lands Rogers as corporate sponsor

Cathy LeBreton - StaffOct 05, 2011 12:58:13 PM

MONCTON, N.B. - Rogers Communications has announced it will be the premier title sponsor for Moncton's new professional basketball team for the next two years.

The company's first move is to provide Monctonians with 5,000 free tickets to the Moncton Miracle's exhibition game on October 24th.

Moncton Miracles GM and head coach Norris Bell says the partnership with Rogers will help the team reach out to the community.

"That's very important to what we're trying to accomplish; not just build a basketball team, but we want to build a relationship with the community. Having someone like Rogers supporting us, is just going to help us with that vision."

Basketball fans who can't make it out to the games can check out the action on Rogers TV, as they will be broadcasting the Miracles home games.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 7:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is pretty big!

I must admit that I am impressed all to heck so far with the management of the new Moncton basketball team. They seem to be doing everything right so far.

I wonder if News91.9 will be doing radio broadcasts of the Miracles games too? It is a Rogers station after all.....

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This is pretty big!

I must admit that I am impressed all to heck so far with the management of the new Moncton basketball team. They seem to be doing everything right so far.

I wonder if News91.9 will be doing radio broadcasts of the Miracles games too? It is a Rogers station after all.....
Ditto...me too, and the fact that they are showing the games on Rogers TV is impressive as usually they 'black out' the local team vs. showing it free.

Just got my four free tickets for Oct. 24th game!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Wildcats are going to have a very poor team this year.

If the 'Cats are uncompetitive, this could help give a boost to the Miracles, especially if they have a good product on the court. This might be really important for them in their inaugural season.

I still have Wildcats seasons tickets, but I expect that I might take in about a half dozen Miracles games this year too. My middle son is quite interested too. We are even thinking of taking in a road game at Credit Union Place in Summerside on November 18th. This would be before the Miracles first home game.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:36 PM

Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Wildcats are going to have a very poor team this year.

If the 'Cats are uncompetitive, this could help give a boost to the Miracles, especially if they have a good product on the court. This might be really important for them in their inaugural season.

I still have Wildcats seasons tickets, but I expect that I might take in about a half dozen Miracles games this year too. My middle son is quite interested too. We are even thinking of taking in a road game at Credit Union Place in Summerside on November 18th. This would be before the Miracles first home game.
You wont be disappointed with the quality of the NBL product, it is very good and could be even better this season as a result of the NBA's current labour situation.

The Moncton team will most likely struggle however, especially against the established teams who are returning players from last season. The London team has basically recruited the championship team from last season so they should be tough as well.

That being said, it will still be very entertaining for anyone who appreciates quality basketball.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

As founding teams with intact rosters, there is no doubt Halifax, Saint John and Quebec will be formidable opponents (at least this year). Your comments about London though were surprising. If they were able to essentially recruit the entire championship team from last year, does this mean that the Premiere league has completely collapsed or folded?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:

If they were able to essentially recruit the entire championship team from last year, does this mean that the Premiere league has completely collapsed or folded?
The league has not folded, however the Oklahoma team left the league for the same reasons that the three Canadian teams did. London has hired their coach and now retained the majority of the top players from that team.

Looks like Saint John has a special announcement scheduled for Monday to announce the "most exciting signing the team has ever made".

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 12:22 PM

According to the paper there was only 500 people at the NBL game in Fredericton yesterday. Since the numbers in the newspaper are typically inflated and this was Fredericton's chance to demonstrate their support for a team, it does not look good for them joining the NBL any time soon.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 12:16 PM

According to the paper, Moncton had 4500 fans at their first home game last night. Even despite the fact that Rogers gave away 6000 seats I believe that it is a very good start for them considering it is still preseason.

Does the Moncton coliseum rope off certain seats for basketball? According to the article there was only 6000 seats but I thought I saw higher numbers for hockey games where I would typically expect the opposite to be true.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
According to the paper, Moncton had 4500 fans at their first home game last night. Even despite the fact that Rogers gave away 6000 seats I believe that it is a very good start for them considering it is still preseason.

Does the Moncton coliseum rope off certain seats for basketball? According to the article there was only 6000 seats but I thought I saw higher numbers for hockey games where I would typically expect the opposite to be true.
I was there...it was mostly the ends behind the baskets that were empty despite the free tickets. Decent crowd, into it, seemed knowledgable about the game.

4500 for a free pre-season game...pretty good if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:15 AM

The Halifax opener was close to 9000
there was also some sort of give away promo
it was a record crowd nonetheless so seems promising .

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hopefully this inaugural season will go well.

The question marks will be Summerside (too small for a franchise IMHO) and how well the Ontario teams will do.

For the league to survive, they will have to establish at least a half dozen strong franchises in central Canada. The intermediate term goal should be a 12 team league in eastern Canada, with plans for expansion to western Canada down the road.

If the league can survive the next couple of years, then I think the future can be bright for professional basketball in Canada!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces