HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 7:18 PM

I don't know if anybody has proposed this yet, but the current Post Office site is just about the same footprint as PGE Park. I think it would just be amazing to build a first class ballpark complex for the beavers on the that spot! Steps from all public transportation and from the Pearl District!!! That would be sooo beautiful...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 8:53 PM

I wonder what type of "corporate headquarters" or commercial development would take place here...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 9:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTram View Post
I don't know if anybody has proposed this yet, but the current Post Office site is just about the same footprint as PGE Park. I think it would just be amazing to build a first class ballpark complex for the beavers on the that spot! Steps from all public transportation and from the Pearl District!!! That would be sooo beautiful...
That has been thought of when they were looking at putting a MLB stadium there, but that idea is basically dead now. It would be a nice thought to have a ballpark there, but that will never happen now.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That has been thought of when they were looking at putting a MLB stadium there, but that idea is basically dead now. It would be a nice thought to have a ballpark there, but that will never happen now.
What is it that killed the idea? It seems like that would be the optimum location for a new park, walking distance from thousands of nearby residents and walking distance from every source of mass transit in the region. They could set it up so that the condo highrises on Lovejoy flank the outfield or flip it around and have the view of Downtown over the outfield. It would be great.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 3:42 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Don't forget the max already runs next to the current PGE park.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 4:45 AM

Wow 10,000 jobs in a new development area! Those predictions sound great considering that was around the target for all those new South Waterfront bio-tech jobs.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 7:46 AM
A before E

Quote:
What is it that killed the idea? It seems like that would be the optimum location for a new park, walking distance from thousands of nearby residents and walking distance from every source of mass transit in the region. They could set it up so that the condo highrises on Lovejoy flank the outfield or flip it around and have the view of Downtown over the outfield. It would be great.
There is your answer. If you just spent $350,000 on a condo in the Pearl, do you want a ballpark that will light up your condo at every evening home game? If this would of been built when the city was going after the Expos it might of happened (though I still think the PPS site was and still is a better location), it would of been hard to get built in the Pearl then, but now there is even more people that live closer to this site and have many more units that overlook it that would be pissed every evening game.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 2:14 PM

^ and every non-evening game it would be a dead zone.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 2:42 AM

PDC pursues Portland post office
POSTED: Monday, April 26, 2010 at 01:47 PM PT
BY: Nick Bjork
Daily Journal of Commerce
Tags: Portland Development Commission, Sarah Harpole

The Portland Development Commission Board of Commissioners last week voted to extend a third letter of intent to purchase the United States Postal Service complex in Northwest Portland.

The PDC for years has been working to purchase the largest parcel of land in the Pearl District, a 13.4-acre lot at 715 N.W. Hoyt St. The new LOI extends the exclusive negotiation period for the PDC’s acquisition of the property 365 days, to March 31, 2011.

Two years ago, the PDC set up a nonrefundable escrow account worth $2 million that would go toward the purchase of the property if a purchase agreement were executed by the end of the negotiating period. Then $500,000 was immediately transferred to the postal service upon the approval of the first LOI. Under an amendment to the new LOI, the PDC will release $500,000 more to the postal service once an agreement for environmental remediation cost sharing is made. In the previous LOIs, the PDC would transfer that $500,000 only if the two parties had a purchase price agreement. The final $1 million will be transferred once a purchase agreement is made.

“If (the postal service) was to move, we couldn’t just close up and go away,” said Ron Anderson, spokesperson for the postal service. “We would need to build new, and not just a one-for-one facility. We would need to update all of our technology and build for projected growth. There are large costs associated with doing these.” He said the postal service has to break even on the deal.

The escrow account is use-it-or-lose-it money. If the PDC were to pull out of negotiations now, it would lose that $2 million. Also, hundreds of thousands of dollars of staff time would be for naught.

Sarah Harpole, project coordinator with the PDC, added that the substantial size of the property is a big draw for the city. Considering Portland is known for having small city blocks, having roughly 13 of them together for one development would serve as an enticing tool to attract large out-of-town businesses, she said.

“Plus, the lot is so big it creates an island of sorts in Northwest Portland and takes away from the connectivity of the area,” Harpole said. “We would look at developing it so that it would fit into the fabric of the neighborhood.”

The postal service, meanwhile, has concerns selling in this economic environment and taking the risk of moving such a large operation.

“We want to be good corporate citizens, so we are willing to work with PDC and listen to the discussion,” Anderson said. “You might ask, why wouldn’t we sell, considering the prices in the Pearl? The bottom line is that this transaction and move would need to be cost-neutral to us.”

The PDC is suggesting paying 150 percent of the average appraised value of the property, as established by separate appraisals from each party. The average appraised value is $52.5 million, so the PDC would pay $78.8 million minus the shared environmental remediation costs and some right-of-way improvements. The PDC has $64 million from the River District urban renewal fund earmarked for the purchase.

The two parties are waiting on some final environmental documents from the Department of Environmental Quality before negotiating a purchase price agreement. The documents are expected to arrive sometime in the next month. The site was formerly a rail yard, so contamination issues are possible.

Presently, redevelopment of the property may be a bit of a pipe dream, but that hasn’t stopped the PDC from dreaming.

“We would definitely want to have some sort of an ideas contest for how the property should be redeveloped,” Harpole said. “We would solicit ideas from a national, and even international, audience in order to generate interest from businesses from all around the world.”

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/04/26...d-post-office/

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am not positive about this, but I remember hearing about this a while back and I was under the impression that the Postal Service was already in process of moving their operations to property near the airport. But that is something I remember hearing at least a year ago, so I am not sure about it.
I heard that too. Moving the Post office to the airport would definitely be cost effective for the postal service.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:45 PM
=)

=D Its an area that needs to be redeveloped! This is awesome for Portland =D

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 4:16 AM

Portland may finally be on verge of deal for Pearl District post office

Published: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 8:33 PM Updated: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 8:37 PM
By Brad Schmidt, The Oregonian

Attempts by the city to buy the Pearl District post office -- what would be the most expensive project in Portland's most lucrative urban renewal district -- finally may be coming to fruition after three years of negotiations.

Redevelopment officials confirmed Thursday that they hope to have a purchase agreement ready by summer and are budgeting nearly $64 million over five years to pay for the 13.4-acre site, the largest parcel in the central city primed for redevelopment.

What's changed in the past year: Instead of the city offering the U.S. Postal Service 150 percent of the appraised value, postal officials would produce construction estimates for a building at a new site, perhaps near Portland International Airport south of Cascade Station. The city's urban renewal agency, the Portland Development Commission, would cover the cost of the new facility in exchange for the old one.

That approach, officials say, would lead to a more concrete price tag more quickly.

"I think this has real possibilities," said Scott Andrews, the PDC's board chairman.

For nearly 25 years, city leaders have salivated at the prospect of redeveloping 715 N.W. Hoyt St. because of its size and location. Major League Baseball supporters thought the site could be perfect for a ballpark, and city leaders saw its potential as an employment hub.

After years of unsuccessful courting, officials entered exclusive negotiations with postal authorities in March 2008. But a deal never jelled, and deadlines moved to 2009, then 2010 and eventually to this past March 31. That deadline came and went, and redevelopment officials now say they are extending it another year. But this time, they expect to replace the letter of intent with a purchase and sale agreement in June or July.

Ron Anderson, a postal spokesman in Portland, said he had not heard of the latest developments but noted that real estate transactions are handled out of state. "I guess we'll have to wait and find out," he said.

A purchase agreement would not prompt an immediate sale, however. It would establish another nine-month window to finalize details. And even that timeline could prove optimistic.

The biggest issue is price. When the PDC was willing to pay 150 percent of the appraised value, officials said the price accounted for future zoning changes that would make the property more valuable.

Old appraisals pegged the property at about $52.5 million, or $78.75 million after the premium, said Steven Shain, who manages the River District urban renewal area for the PDC. But that number was supposed to be reduced by environmental cleanup costs, which are unknown. And postal authorities were willing to sell only if they incurred no cost to build a new facility.

The new model calls for postal authorities to buy or option land and complete construction plans -- with cost estimates -- for a new building, expected to be smaller than the existing processing and distribution center. Then PDC officials would use that number to buy the Pearl District building. Shain said officials expect it to be lower than under the old model.

If a binding deal is reached in 2012, redevelopment officials would allow post office operations to continue for several years while a new facility is built.

The PDC originally budgeted $34 million for the post office, hoping to raise the rest with federal or state dollars. Then officials increased the district's debt capacity -- paid for by property taxes collected from growth -- from $225 million to almost $490 million, putting them in position to pay for the whole project.

Officials may be willing to spend so much because of the property's size and location. They picture the property being transformed into some sort of employment campus with accompanying shops and housing, in the central point between the Pearl, Old Town, downtown and the Rose Quarter.

"Jobs," Andrews said, "is always the big driver."

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:14 AM

Pearl | Post Office Redevelopment

This might be nothing, but I was just listening to a presentation to the Historic Landmarks Commission by a PDC staffer. She mentioned that the PDC was in "active negotiations" to purchase the Post Office. Of course they've had a signed Letter of Intent for years now, but that choice of language makes me wonder whether it's starting to move along.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:49 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This might be nothing, but I was just listening to a presentation to the Historic Landmarks Commission by a PDC staffer. She mentioned that the PDC was in "active negotiations" to purchase the Post Office. Of course they've had a signed Letter of Intent for years now, but that choice of language makes me wonder whether it's starting to move along.
Lets hope so, I would love to see that site be included in the unlimited height limit zone of North Pearl.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 7:46 PM

If nothing else, getting the post office moved for sake of truck traffic would be nice.

Moved to this area recently, and the big rig traffic is almost relentless. You get used to it, but it is certainly not conducive to excellent urban life.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 8:49 PM

I can't really offer anything more than other then to further substantiate the rumor. I've heard rumors of the same from other sources on the developmental side about the post office site. I wish I could say more. Nothing concrete that I know of other than that there has at least been discussions between one and/or more developer and PDC about the site and potential buildings of the high variety. The rumors have actually gotten less optimistic that it will happen anytime soon lately and the first I heard about it was about 6 months ago.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:05 PM

Smile

"buildings of the high variety" - I like that term.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
I can't really offer anything more than other then to further substantiate the rumor. I've heard rumors of the same from other sources on the developmental side about the post office site. I wish I could say more. Nothing concrete that I know of other than that there has at least been discussions between one and/or more developer and PDC about the site and potential buildings of the high variety. The rumors have actually gotten less optimistic that it will happen anytime soon lately and the first I heard about it was about 6 months ago.
The lack of momentum makes me sad. It will probably end up being a boring 10 story building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:11 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
The lack of momentum makes me sad. It will probably end up being a boring 10 story building.
Not likely.

This is a 12 block site (including the 4 center blocks that will undoubtedly be extensions of the North Park Blocks). That will be unused FAR that can be tacked onto the surrounding 8 blocks as bonuses. And those blocks will already have high FARs and height limits. Given the prime location and the willingness to build increasingly taller buildings in the northern Pearl, there's going to be a lot of pressure to go big, and there could potentially be a couple of very tall buildings (350'+) plus many midrises along the northern end of the Park Blocks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Not likely.

This is a 12 block site (including the 4 center blocks that will undoubtedly be extensions of the North Park Blocks). That will be unused FAR that can be tacked onto the surrounding 8 blocks as bonuses. And those blocks will already have high FARs and height limits. Given the prime location and the willingness to build increasingly taller buildings in the northern Pearl, there's going to be a lot of pressure to go big, and there could potentially be a couple of very tall buildings (350'+) plus many midrises along the northern end of the Park Blocks.
Keep my hopes up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland