HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:31 PM

According to the website:

"Design Features:

Exterior materials like stone, brick and curtain wall glazing will be used to integrate with surrounding area and buildings"

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
[...] will be used to integrate with surrounding area and buildings"
That's actually worrisome, isn't it?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 12:17 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
That's actually worrisome, isn't it?
To me it is. That block of Brunswick is one of the crappiest in the city.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 12:53 AM

Sounds to be like they plan on using crap materials, which will make this an ugly building, and probably a lower end hotel.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Sounds to be like they plan on using crap materials, which will make this an ugly building, and probably a lower end hotel.
It's really too early to say anything either way.
Having two hotels or one big hotel - doesn't really matter to me. I'm quite happy that they've been thinking about doing something with the site that really intensifies it. I'll reserve judgement until I see what gets approved.

There was a comment earlier from bluenoser that talked about hoping for one big hotel. Depending on the design it can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing. I can think of a few examples where the design either doesn't work or does. The Delta Calgary South is a two tower hotel but the design requires you to check in at the west tower and then you could end up rooms in the east. It means you end up having to truck quite a ways and frankly it didn't work very well for me.

If I look at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, that too is a 2 tower hotel. It's been a while since I have stayed there but as I recall it was a bit of a truck from the lobby to the far (north?) tower. But then they had staff to help you (as opposed to the Delta).

Personally, if they wanted to do one big hotel with two towers, I'd want the check in area at the dead centre, so that the towers are equal distance away. Then put all the core functions in the middle as well, restaurants, convention rooms, bars, pools, gyms, etc.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 2:52 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
To me it is. That block of Brunswick is one of the crappiest in the city.
The street below is crappy as well. All the more reason to use better materials. They should just go with brick instead of precast.

Crappy Street below Brunswick.

Albemarie St.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...12,348.44,,0,0

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The street below is crappy as well. All the more reason to use better materials. They should just go with brick instead of precast.

Crappy Street below Brunswick.

Albemarie St.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...12,348.44,,0,0
I think that the parking lot podium of Scotia Square is its worst feature. I wish that something could be done to improve it. For example, could outer sections be removed and converted to low rise residential? That would get more people on Abemarle Street which normally only has car traffic but few pedestrians.

I think that the removal of the Cogswell Interchange would be greatly enhanced by a major renovation of Scotia Square. It is almost 45 years old now which is about time for an overhaul (it is almost as old as the Citadel Inn).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:09 PM

Here's a story on how the Citadel Hotel was a catalyst for the height restrictions and the beginning of the era of the "Save the View of the Beautiful Oil Refinery people".

Quote:
How the Citadel Halifax shaped downtown development

Urban Compass by Stephen Kimber
METRO HALIFAX
Published: September 12, 2011 2:00 p.m.
Last modified: September 12, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Last week, SilverBirch Hotels, the Vancouver-based company that owns the Citadel Halifax hotel, announced plans to flatten it.

The company intends to replace the venerable downtown landmark with a $60-million, triple-tower, hotel-apartment complex it says will generate “a lot more” street-level activity in the northern downtown while conforming to HRM by Design — and legislation protecting views of the harbour from Citadel Hill.

Ironically, a plan to redevelop the original two-storey Citadel hotel 40 years ago triggered the debate that led to creating those still-controversial views.

By the late 1960s, preservationists were winning the battle to protect the city’s historic waterfront from the wrecker’s ball, but they seemed to be losing the war to preserve Citadel Hill’s iconic harbour views one bigger-than-theirs bank tower at a time.

Read more here: http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/comm...wn-development

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 7:17 PM

Public Information Meeting tonight at 7pm at the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:46 PM

Councillor Sloane posted this article to her facebook, so I thought I would pass it along:

NS: Halifax Citadel owners plan makeover

Metro Halifax
Silverbirch’s planned redevelopment will include two new hotels, featuring a residential building, retail space and a restaurant.

HALIFAX, NS] — The owners of Halifax’s Citadel Hotel have submitted a plan to redesign the building to city hall.

The planned redevelopment will include two new hotels, featuring a residential building, retail space and a restaurant. The two hotels will have a combined total of 278 rooms, while the residential component will feature approximately 130 apartments.

According to Silverbirch’s website, the project will focus on more pedestrian traffic than vehicular traffic, and will include ground level commercial space to attract passersby.

“With a focus on people, sustainability and activity, the new project will add to a vibrant downtown core and positively impact the surrounding area,” the website reads. “All proposed upgrades align with HRM by design guidelines, while balancing attention to heritage assets and contemporary architecture.”

Silverbirch also touts the economic benefits for the city, should it approve the project. It estimates the project will contribute $1,646,000 in property taxes, $2,097,000 in HST from food and beverages, and $244,000 in hotel levies for a total of $3,987,000 to city and provincial coffers.

The Citadel Hotel has occupied the corner of Brunswick Street and Cogswell Street since 1963, when it opened as Citadel Inn.

The rest of the article is here.

Anyone go to the meeting? Any news to report? Did Pacey flip his lid?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

^^^What? no height, wind or shadow arguments? That's good. This one should go through.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
^^^What? no height, wind or shadow arguments? That's good. This one should go through.
Well I haven't heard what really went on during the meeting; so I'm not so sure about that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:40 PM
we built this city

Any info on what happened? This one seems like a development that will actually be built.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:48 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Well I haven't heard what really went on during the meeting; so I'm not so sure about that.
Haha! Well I saw a bit of light at the end of the tunnel when she seemed in favour. Gotta have hope when hope is available.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:22 AM

When did they start calling this Ablemarie Street? It was always Market Street

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jringe01 View Post
When did they start calling this Ablemarie Street? It was always Market Street
I can't remember the exact date but I think it was because it was Albemarle before it was ever Market St.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 1:52 PM
opinionated so and so

Market Street and Brunswick Street got renamed because, I was told, the unsavoury aspects of their histories was so well known... being where the taverns and brothels were located.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:44 PM

Plus the Metro Centre cuts it off, I'm not sure if that contributed to the name change but it makes sense

Same thing with George st and grand parade I suppose .

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:23 PM

This section of the street was changed to Albemarle in October 2007. (source) I remember reading some article about how the city was undertaking a campaign to change potentially confusing street names -- streets that were divided into two bits, had names similar to others, etc. Which is why new names like Massachusetts Ave, Carmichael Street, Martello Street, and Albemarle came about.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 PM

Good thing the two Duke Streets are so far apart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth