Buffalo

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDV78665 View Post
1- NYC
2- San Fran
3- Austin
4- Miami
I'm gonna guess and say you've never been to LA.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:19 PM

NYC
LA
Chicago
Toronto
SF
DC
Philly
Boston

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:26 PM
E.l.i.t.e.

1] New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA
2] Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA
3] Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI
4] Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
5] Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX
6] Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
7] Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL
8] Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
9] Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA
10] Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH
11] Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
12] San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
13] Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
14] Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI
15] Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA

Top 15 Metros by population [2017] and I'd probably rank them similarly as well.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

Of the American / Canadian metros I've visited in recent years, or at least recent enough that I paid attention to such things:

NYC
LA
Chicago
Toronto
San Francisco
Montreal
Boston
Detroit
Vancouver
Denver
Portland
Calgary
Ottawa
Edmonton
New Orleans
Halifax
Omaha
Buffalo
Burlington, VT

Tried to put in some indication of where there's big size differences. I'm probably missing some too!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

NYC
Jacksonville
Los Angeles
Winnipeg
Okotoks
Chicago
Louisville
Toronto
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:43 PM

Damn it. Forgot Jacksonville.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I'm surprised SF is so high up people's list. I'd probably put it number 2 in terms of perception based on how often you hear about it in the news, but the downtown itself isn't all that big.
I think it feels bigger in person than the 800k or whatever population it’s got since there are so many workers that commute in. The pedestrian traffic makes it feel bigger than it is.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:44 PM

ive been to palm springs a hundred times but ive never been to la. i should go there and see if elom musk wants to play fortnite.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Damn it. Forgot Jacksonville.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:56 PM

I wonder how perceptions of Toronto will change by 2025 when over 100 150m+ skyscrapers are added to the skyline.

for 150m+ skyscrapers Toronto has:

62 Built
33 Under constructions
82 Proposed (probably 20 will start construction this year)

Last edited by Nite; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:10 PM

It's all subjective silliness, but, that said, DC has always felt very small coming in by car or train. The parklands/parkways and lack of industrial, highrises, and prewar context make DC feel smaller than Baltimore and a pipsqueak compared to Philly (which feels massive by similar approach, IMO). Boston feels about as big as Baltimore.

LA feels huge despite small downtown because it goes on forever, is always dense and congested and has the pace of a megacity. I can't see how it's ranked anything other than #2. Chicago's gigantic core and massive network of freeways and railroads puts it #3. Dallas and Houston feel huge for the same reasons as LA. Toronto feels huge too, with elements of Chicago (big core and feels like center of local universe) and LA (congestion everywhere and cosmopolitan pace).

San Diego feels much smaller than 3 million. Tampa, Orlando too. Vancouver feels bigger than Portland. Albany and Providence seem bigger than actual population, Phoenix and San Antonio seem smaller.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:13 PM

How you feel is kind of arbitrary, So I wont rank but ill give some comments.

There is something soul crushingly endless about LA that not even New York manages to accomplish. Beijing comes close.

Austin and DC both, to me, felt smaller than I had expected them to before I visited. I think its because Austin has a way larger reputation than the reality and probably DC because it is European in design, no tall buildings but highly dense throughout.

Tel Aviv felt larger than its 4million population stats when I was there

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:28 PM

I had the opposite impression of DC. It feels much bigger and denser than it is, befitting a great capitol city. It's the largest master planned city in America, so everything is purposeful. Every intersection inside the beltway feels grand and monumental, despite the lack of skyscrapers. I think it's due to the uniformity of the building heights and the overall heft and solidity of the blocks. No other city has quite the same feel.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:34 PM
Registered Putz

New York and LA. LA doesn't have the height and density like NY but there's no mistaking you are in a massive urban area. After these two, Chicago and Philly.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I had the opposite impression of DC. It feels much bigger and denser than it is, befitting a great capitol city.
Really? You honestly get that feeling driving down I-95, on the various parkways, or on Acela?

You're in basically forests and then you're right downtown. The region feels amazingly sparse for such an important seat of power. If you drive down NY Ave.-US1 (the traditional auto approach) you're in postwar motel-land a few blocks from the U.S. capitol building.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:45 PM
The City

Denser, more pedestrian oriented cities can get away with being smaller in footprint but feeling larger just because your whole sense of scale changes when on foot as opposed to driving by on the highway.

Hence, DC feels very big. I lived there and only used my car on occasion. I otherwise took the Metro, rode the bus, and walked everywhere.

Of course, if you just take a drive on the circle bypass it feels much smaller.

Manhattan, for example, is a puny island. But its insane density and the fact that most people on are foot makes you feel like you are in a massive place.

Same effect is going on as Chicago’s core rapidly fills in with huge skyscrapers—it effectively is transforming that city’s perceived scale to a far greater degree than can be conveyed via pure population numbers or measures of a region’s boundaries.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:49 PM
Registered Putz

DC reminded me of a large-ish European city. I noticed the forests leading into DC on 95 but there's a crap load of government facilities hidden among them; NSA, NASA, etc. as well as other development.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:51 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
No. In a list of population stats it can be that way, because it'll be obvious what "city" means.

But try reading books about cities, or work in a related industry...the word "city" can mean many things.

Sorry dude. Any word (including "city") means what it is defined to mean. Definitions are black-and-white - there are no grey areas; if there were, there would be an ongoing debate over the relevancy of a dictionary. So, "city" refers to a city, "metropolitan statistical area" refers to a metropolitan statistical area, and, although you won't admit it, you've elected to adjust the definition of city so that it fits your desired meaning for the purposes of this thread discussion, which refers to "city" verbatim in its title - NOT metropolitan statistical area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Really? You honestly get that feeling driving down I-95, on the various parkways, or on Acela?

You're in basically forests and then you're right downtown. The region feels amazingly sparse for such an important seat of power. If you drive down NY Ave.-US1 (the traditional auto approach) you're in postwar motel-land a few blocks from the U.S. capitol building.
I agree that it isn't that big or dense in reality, but at ground level, inside the beltway it feels enormous and monumental. It's specifically designed to feel that way. It's designed to convey state power in all its mass and precision of its streets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions