HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:00 PM

Should be a good series. The Devils are a quicker team, but then again so was St Louis, Phoenix and Vancouver. The Kings have a good chance of winning this, but will need Quick to be on top of his game.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 7:47 PM

I want to see LA win, I think it would be great for the game in the southern US, though seeing Brodeur get another cup would be pretty sweet too.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I want to see LA win, I think it would be great for the game in the southern US, though seeing Brodeur get another cup would be pretty sweet too.
*Note: this is half tongue-in-cheek, half serious*

Mr. Bettman, is that you?!

Seriously, you're probably the first Canadian hockey fan I've ever heard write or say these words. And did you forget Dallas, Tampa, Carolina, and Anaheim? I mean, I know it's been a whole 5 years since "the South" won, but man, let the rest of us have it.

On a less perplexed note, I'm also cheering for LA. I love it when virgin teams get a cup. And Jersey's like Detroit, they've won way too many times in recent memory and are just completely flukey this year. As much as I like Brodeur and am amazed at his play this year, this isn't who the Devils are. They're playing so far above their ability they remind me of the 2004 Flames.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

Seriously, you're probably the first Canadian hockey fan I've ever heard write or say these words. And did you forget Dallas, Tampa, Carolina, and Anaheim? I mean, I know it's been a whole 5 years since "the South" won, but man, let the rest of us have it.

On a less perplexed note, I'm also cheering for LA. I love it when virgin teams get a cup. And Jersey's like Detroit, they've won way too many times in recent memory and are just completely flukey this year. As much as I like Brodeur and am amazed at his play this year, this isn't who the Devils are. They're playing so far above their ability they remind me of the 2004 Flames.
I'd like Nashville, San Jose, etc. to win one. And agreed I would cheer a virgin team over any team that has won before (except Toronto or Calgary of course) even Buffalo, with the exception of Vancouver.

I'm still bitter with LA about 93, but I'm more bitter with Jersey for 2000 and 2001 when they beat us in the 2nd round twice in a row. That and the way they dismantled Vancouver and everybody else in their way made it impossible not to cheer for them. I do wish it was the Rangers vs. LA though.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
I do wish it was the Rangers vs. LA though.
So does Gary Bettman.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:

LA is the cultural capital of the US, and the Kings are relatively unknown there. With the media machine that is LA, getting behind the Kings, I think this will do more than Anaheim or Tampa winning the cup, especially if the Kings can be competitive for a few years.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
LA is the cultural capital of the US, and the Kings are relatively unknown there. With the media machine that is LA, getting behind the Kings, I think this will do more than Anaheim or Tampa winning the cup, especially if the Kings can be competitive for a few years.
i wouldnt say unknown, rather on the back burner. there is so much going on here in the sports world and otherwise, that the Kings always get buried if they arent doing well, also known as the last 19 years. If Kobe Farts (Lakers), Matt Kemp Sneezes (Dodgers) or Matt Barkley giggles (USC) its front page news / breaking news on the sports radio stations, but the Kings just hum along with the hardcore fans. btw, im not sure if fans outside of LA know, but the Kings sell out every game and have a solid following, all im saying is that we get lost in the LA shuffle

everyone is excited for the team, the fans and the city and it will be a great boom for hockey in LA if the Kings win the cup. The team is set up to compete at a high level for years so it wont be a flash in the pan type of scenario.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:29 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
No I get that part of the sentiment, I just found it slightly odd to see a Canadian pining for successful hockey in the southern US, period. Most of us have been condemning the entire experiment for a couple of decades at this point, and wanting hockey to return North where it belongs.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:33 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
im not sure if fans outside of LA know, but the Kings sell out every game and have a solid following, all im saying is that we get lost in the LA shuffle
And my favourite building to watch a game in. I freaking ADORE the Staples Center, and the fans there are pretty seasoned hockey folk. They actually know what's happening, why the refs make certain calls, and how offsides actually work (so far in the south I've been to Phoenix, Nashville, Tampa, and Anaheim, and none of those fanbases do much more than boo the other team with football jeers).

Coupla years back the Kings put on a celebrity game after the NHL game - a bunch of B-list Hollywood types played: David Boreanaz, Cuba Gooding Jr, Alan Thicke, and many more whom I can't remember. Was a nice treat to follow up a game with. And quite a lot of fans stayed in their seats to watch.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:45 AM
Go Chiefs!

Good luck to both team...hopefully LA will play with legal sticks this time.

Starting @2:45
Video Link

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:14 AM

^ They certainly won't have New Jersey playing with illegal sticks or paying off the guard to their locker room so they can go in and measure equipment beforehand.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
(so far in the south I've been to Phoenix, Nashville, Tampa, and Anaheim, and none of those fanbases do much more than boo the other team with football jeers).
I don't know about the others but I'd personally take Nashville off that list. I had a great experience at a Preds game in Nashville and they're definitely my favourite southern franchise and the one I'd most like to succeed. They've really become a staple in that city.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:59 PM
Change is good

Vancouver.
1972-Boo our nation team after a loss. They felt justified.
1982-Wave a white flag (an international sign of surrender) due to getting much deserved penalties. They were getting picked on.
1994-Lose in game 7, riot causing hundreds of thousands of dollars. None of the rioters were canucks fans.
2011-Lose in game 7, riot causing over a million dollars in damage. None of the rioters were canucks fans.
2011-Vandalize a church of stanley cup champions' family, spray painting obcenities on and in the church & spelling "canucks" incorrectly. Not done by canucks fans.

2012-First round exit/embarassment.
SILENCE.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:37 PM
Editor

Should be an interesting series. I'd like to see LA win, but imo it's a crapshoot. Once teams are into the finals they usually pull out all stops to try and win.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
I don't know about the others but I'd personally take Nashville off that list. I had a great experience at a Preds game in Nashville and they're definitely my favourite southern franchise and the one I'd most like to succeed. They've really become a staple in that city.
I dunno man, until they stop treating Jordin freaking Tootoo as a star player (did you hear the train whistles? ) and learn what actual talent is, I'll still have a hard time taking them seriously.

I do love the rink (and giant flying inflatable cat) and surrounding area however. As with most southern arenas, it's a really good time. Downtown Nashville has a pretty cool vibe in general.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:13 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Vancouver.
1972-Boo our nation team after a loss. They felt justified.
1982-Wave a white flag (an international sign of surrender) due to getting much deserved penalties. They were getting picked on.
1994-Lose in game 7, riot causing hundreds of thousands of dollars. None of the rioters were canucks fans.
2011-Lose in game 7, riot causing over a million dollars in damage. None of the rioters were canucks fans.
2011-Vandalize a church of stanley cup champions' family, spray painting obcenities on and in the church & spelling "canucks" incorrectly. Not done by canucks fans.

2012-First round exit/embarassment.
SILENCE.
Vancouver: Not part of the discussion anymore. Drop it.

Pretty good game 1 tonight. Nice pass by Williams to a Kopitar that should never be left so open.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:13 AM
Go Chiefs!

Kopitar... wow.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:44 AM

holy cow what a goal by KOPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! major league goal right there.

3 more wins....

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:09 AM

Jesus Kopitar. He definitely should have more exposure than he does...
Brodeur's stacked pads save was awesome too, nobody does that anymore.

I tried to stay up to watch the whole thing, I really did.. But when it's 2:30 in the morning and you work at 9 there's a point
where you just give up. Sad I missed the OT goal though.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
No I get that part of the sentiment, I just found it slightly odd to see a Canadian pining for successful hockey in the southern US, period. Most of us have been condemning the entire experiment for a couple of decades at this point, and wanting hockey to return North where it belongs.
I support hockey in the southern US, I support it anywhere it can be successful. I don't support moving team out of Canadian cities and relocating them to the Sun belt though. I went to a game in San Jose and the fans there were surprisingly knowledgeable and understood what was happening on the ice, I would say the sharks are one of the most successful southern teams and a a model for the rest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada