HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 7:56 PM

Great work, Michi! Keep us posted. I must visit the Woodbridge estates next time. Why did they stop planting trees halfway Cadillac Square? Any news of the WS School of Business and the Virgil H Carr Cultural Arts Center? Great architecture and great for Midtown!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 11:25 PM

Ross, I'm not so sure about the buisinss school at Wayne. I thought it would be starting construction by now. On the other hand, excavation work at the new Engineering Center have begun. Not quite as significant as the Bus School, but new activity at Wayne nonetheless.

I don't have further information on the Carr Center, though I wish I did. This is another highly anticipated project and asset to the Cultural Center.

I think that all of the trees are planted at Cadillac Sq...at least I didn't notice any gaps or incompleteness. What I did notice though is that that park has a lack of people in it. The first thing that came to my mind is that there are no benches for people to sit. Also, it's easier to take the sidewalk to your destination since the park doesn't really lead anywhere with crosswalks at the end of its length.

It needs a little more elements for human interaction. I'm not sure if the old Bagley Fountain is suppose to be active. Anybody know?

BTW, the Rivard Plaza opens this Wednesday at the riverfront. Here's a sneak peak at the carousel:

The Free Press forums really show how disgusted some suburbanites are of this project. Kind of sad, being this is the best thing to happen to Troy and Novi in a long time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:28 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

What did I tell you about even looking past the last sentence of the articles online, Eric?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 1:23 PM
Honored Member

LOL! Why are people disgusted?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 11:19 PM

Most likely because they hate their own lives. lol I'm really only half joking. I can't tell you how many people I know that bitch about everything simply because they aren't doing as well as they'd like to be. I keep saying it, but I've never seen a more negative group of people as us Michiganians in my life. Most of us don't even know how to appropriately react to good news, anymore. lol

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 11:58 PM

My latest and greatest mantra for Southeast Michigan: "under educated and over paid".

People are disgusted because Detroit, ie "filthy" gets a shiny new riverfront and suburb x,y,z gets absolutely nothing in addition to job loses. People think they left the city because they're entitled to everything better than ghetto trash Detroit. Which is true, but Detroit is more than the Joy and Greenfield node. There's a false sense of reality. Just read the replies.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:36 AM

I just shudder at the thought of what the Freep boards will be like around the end of July, the 40th anniversary of the riots.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 1:18 AM

They won't be any more nasty unless the local media brings it up. Most people don't take an annual account of the riot.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
They won't be any more nasty unless the local media brings it up.
Thats what I meant. Chances are they will have at least one article about it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:17 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
My latest and greatest mantra for Southeast Michigan: "under educated and over paid".

People are disgusted because Detroit, ie "filthy" gets a shiny new riverfront and suburb x,y,z gets absolutely nothing in addition to job loses. People think they left the city because they're entitled to everything better than ghetto trash Detroit. Which is true, but Detroit is more than the Joy and Greenfield node. There's a false sense of reality. Just read the replies.

You describe SE Michigan perfectly and it's where a lot of our troubles start from. It's been show over and over that things like tolerance rise with education and SE Michigan's general lack it compared to other major constantly bites us the ass.

Not only do they think they're entitled to better things, they believe that any investment in Detroit is something that could've been in their community. They can't get it through their small minds how improving Detroit, improves their communities as well. I pray that Quicken decides to move downtown not only for the city's sake, but so I can read their pissed off reactions.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 7:11 PM
not cleavefied

Speaking of Quicken, Gilbert promised yet again a decision in two months, and he officially ruled out Cleveland:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...06060418&imw=Y

Detroit Free Press

Cavaliers' owner sticks with Michigan

June 6, 2007

BY TOM WALSH

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

There's good news about the Cleveland Cavaliers bouncing the Detroit Pistons out of the National Basketball Association playoffs.

It's great for marketing, visibility and talent recruitment at Quicken Loans and Rock Financial, the Livonia-based mortgage firms founded by metro Detroit native Dan Gilbert, who spent part of his Quicken/Rock fortune to buy the Cavs franchise in March 2005.

And despite Cleveland going totally gaga over the Cavs this year, Gilbert has no intention of moving the Quicken/Rock headquarters and its 5,000 employees to Cleveland, he told the Free Press in an interview Tuesday.

"That's not reality," he said. "It's just not easy to move four or five thousand people from one city to another, I don't care if it's Honolulu or wherever."

Gilbert is indeed looking for a new headquarters site to accommodate his growing mortgage business, but look for it to remain in southeast Michigan. He said Tuesday that he expects to choose a location -- sites in Detroit and various suburbs have been studied -- within the next 60 days.

Meanwhile, Gilbert, 45, is enjoying early success as an NBA owner in only his second full season running the Cavs.

Immediately after assuming control, Gilbert changed the name of the former Gund Arena to Quicken Loans Arena, or the Q for short, and fired the team's coach and general manager, replacing them with Mike Brown and Danny Ferry, respectively.

"We had to get a strong core belief system in place, and when we hired Mike and Danny, who are great people, we knew they'd bring in more great people," Gilbert said.

One thing Gilbert didn't change -- and spent big to retain with a 3-year contract extension last summer -- was the team's superstar, LeBron James.

James, fast becoming the marquee face of the NBA at age 22, was the most important person -- though certainly not the only one -- Gilbert had to convince that Cleveland could become a top-flight NBA franchise after 37 years of futility.

"Dan does everything first class," said Tom Wilson, president and chief executive officer of Palace Sports & Entertainment, whose Detroit Pistons franchise was a model for how Gilbert has molded the Cavs.

"Not every new owner comes in and spends eight figures on the area, comes in and changes the team colors, installs the biggest scoreboard in the league. He has reinvented the business dramatically."

Other changes in Cleveland: The team is building a new $25-million practice facility and is piloting an electronic ticketing system called Flash Seats that could become a model for other teams and entertainment venues.

On the court, Coach Brown molded the Cavs into pesky defenders, exhorting his players to keep "pounding the rock," Gilbert said. That enabled the team to rise to a level beyond just the talent of one superstar. That emphasis on defense is a trait of all great teams, Gilbert said.

"The Pistons and San Antonio Spurs are the best two franchises to emulate in terms of philosophy," Gilbert said. "So it's probably no accident that we have to go through them both to win the whole thing."

A key element of Gilbert's corporate philosophy is that all parts of his far-flung business network are interconnected and benefit each other.

That's an easy concept to grasp among the core companies. Quicken Loans is the nation's leading Internet mortgage lender. Rock Financial also is a mortgage lender, but from a traditional bricks-and-mortar platform of offices in Michigan. Title Source provides title insurance for mortgage transactions.

Ownership of a sports team takes what Gilbert calls the interconnecting "threads" or "tentacles" further afield.

As part of its incentive and reward programs, Quicken/Rock frequently runs a bus -- called the Q Express -- for the ride from Livonia to Cleveland for Cavs games, concerts or other events. Meanwhile, Rock Financial continues its longtime affiliation with the Pistons as a major advertising sponsor.

Gilbert believes that the same high-intensity, high-performance, high-reward culture that he has instilled at Quicken/Rock will produce good results in virtually any business, from pro basketball to mortgages to Fathead brand vinyl wall graphics, another business Gilbert bought recently.

"It's not about what you do, it's about who you are," Gilbert said.

Watch out, San Antonio. Dan Gilbert and the Q Express -- and oh, yeah, LeBron James -- are headed straight at you.

Contact TOM WALSH at 313-223-4430 or twalsh@freepress.com.

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:26 PM

How many 60-day time limits has this been for Quicken?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:11 AM
Detroit Love

Always nice to see development like this in the neighborhoods

http://www.villageestatesdetroit.com/

Mayor joins Village Estates groundbreaking

June 5, 2007

By DARRELL HUGHES

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick joined community leaders Tuesday afternoon to celebrate plans to build more than 120 townhouses, ranch-style condominiums and single-family homes in northwest Detroit.

The groundbreaking of Village Estates, which supporters say could help revitalize the area south of Seven Mile and east of Southfield Freeway. It is a collaborative effort between the Rev. Wendell Anthony, pastor of Fellowship Chapel; and Herb Strather, president and chief executive of Strather & Associates, the project developer.

"Don't move, just improve right where you are," Anthony said, adding that the residential units will cater to all sorts of people, ranging from recent college graduates and senior citizens to business professionals and retired individuals.

The development is adjacent to Fellowship Chapel. It is bounded by McNichols and Outer Drive to the north and south, and by Oakfield on the west and just past Biltmore to the east

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../70605039/1003

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 9:25 PM

Well, at least it's not being called Burning Tree Estates, or the Estates of Timberlake, or Blueberry Meadow, or Exurban Prairie Estates. (only 1/2 kidding).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 12:47 AM

Considering the neighborhood in which they are going, they are some very nice units inside and out. Actually, I'll go even further and say that they are some of the best neighborhood units the city has seen.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 2:59 AM
Honored Member

I think the units in the East Village area are better, but these are nice, and like he says in the article, even if it only keeps people from leaving the city, it'll be a success.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 2:04 AM

For some updates and a thread on the new Rivard Plaza, click the link below:

Saturday, June 9, 2007
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=132914

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
loving that Gary skyline

A little birdie told me that Quicken's coming Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 12:57 AM

That little birdie has been chirping around for years now. lol

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

Thumbs up Let's move on !

Hi Michi. Great photos of the Riverwalk. I did the part that was finished last year when I visited Detroit. I still saw the building standing on the Griswold site. I live thousands of miles away in Leuven, Belgium and I depend on the net to learn what's happening in the D. Is there any news about the Argonaut bldg? It was sold to a Californian co in 2004. And what about the Lafayette bldg. Keep us posted, will you? Thanks, Ross.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations