HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 7:19 PM

SSC down again. I'm getting so frustrated with that site. Maybe this is our new home??

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Well, if you can get everyone else to see it that way, I'd say sure, this is our new home.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 6:02 PM
Baltimore

OK article on the transportation. My roomate/friend is a cop and says that they are going to widen 95 at least. It is 4 lanes up to exit 77 then turns to 3. If you are familiar with Rossville Blvd. , it is a road that crosses over 95 close to where 95 meets 695 north of the city. They are making a new bridge for Rossville right now (have been for months) that is longer, meaning that there is more space underneath.... meaning that 95 could become wider and there will be more space there. As long as they do this with all roads/bridges going over 95 they will be able to widen it. So in some sense they are already working on widening the roads. The southside of the city where 95 meets 695 they already massively changed the past 4 years. There are a lot of lanes down there now.

sdeclue,
Bring over all of your SSC friends over to this thread to really open it up. We would love their input here. (and Pics!!!)
Thanks,

Also, I got a voicemail and email back from ARC Wheeler. They still don't know much and the building still seems like it will be the around 700' or so but that could still change. Everything is still in preliminary stages and they don't know of the final design for sure. I think it has to do on the construction prices, they go down the building could go up! (and vice versa). But it was also said that it is a $360 investment. We just have to wait and see. Seems like things are moving slowly, but again, at least they still have the land and will hopefully start construction on this next year. I think they will.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 6:04 PM
Baltimore

OK ... this website has been screwy today. I double posted because I didn't think the first one hit. This is an edited one.

Last edited by Ktulured55; Oct 2, 2006 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 2:21 PM

I would love to bring people from SSC over here but its never working long enough for me to post and direct people here!

As for traffic, it's really frustrating. There are many ways to fix this but they just don't seem to want to put the money into it.

One way is building a regional transit system, which has to be done and I don't understand what the wait is.

The other is improving existing roads. The beltway is a great example. Some areas of the Beltway are five lanes and others are three, which causes a huge problem when it goes from 5 lanes to 4 lanes or 4 to 3. Everything bottles up in those spots. If they could just make it 4 or 5 lanes the whole way around it would really help an incredible amount.

For example, the West side of the Beltway gets stacked all the way from around Frederick Road to alllllll the way up to the Greenspring area. From Frederick Road to 95 on the outerloop is 5 or 6 lanes and traffic opens up there and there is no problem whatsoever.

However, the triple bridges at I-70 and the Beltway dwindles it to three lanes and causes all sorts of problems and much of the Beltway is only three lanes through Catonsville, an area that is one of the most congested on the Beltway because it's a big area and 95 is right down the road and everyone jumps on the Beltway to get to 95.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 4:30 PM

Expandeing the beltway to 4-5 lanes all around would be extreamly expensive and not really needed (especially the key bridge area).

Eliminating the bottle neck at the I-70 interchange would be key, but that is probably the single most expensive interchange to redo.

I noticed that they are still doing some drilling at the 4 seasons site.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 6:48 PM

I'm not too familiar with the Key Bridge area, but that could be an exception as I have a feeling traffic is very light over in that area.

I-70 interchange is a must to redo and it could be done. Those bridges there are getting very old anyway.

Of couser it would be very expensive, but the report that commutes will be way worse than they are now by 2030 is not good. Plus, where has money on roadways been spent the past 5 years? I haven't seen one thing done to upgrade roadways recently.

It takes me an hour or more to get to work some mornings when it should only take 20 mins max.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 4:59 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I would love to bring people from SSC over here but its never working long enough for me to post and direct people here!

As for traffic, it's really frustrating. There are many ways to fix this but they just don't seem to want to put the money into it.

One way is building a regional transit system, which has to be done and I don't understand what the wait is.

The other is improving existing roads. The beltway is a great example. Some areas of the Beltway are five lanes and others are three, which causes a huge problem when it goes from 5 lanes to 4 lanes or 4 to 3. Everything bottles up in those spots. If they could just make it 4 or 5 lanes the whole way around it would really help an incredible amount.

For example, the West side of the Beltway gets stacked all the way from around Frederick Road to alllllll the way up to the Greenspring area. From Frederick Road to 95 on the outerloop is 5 or 6 lanes and traffic opens up there and there is no problem whatsoever.

However, the triple bridges at I-70 and the Beltway dwindles it to three lanes and causes all sorts of problems and much of the Beltway is only three lanes through Catonsville, an area that is one of the most congested on the Beltway because it's a big area and 95 is right down the road and everyone jumps on the Beltway to get to 95.

Right. I used to go from White Marsh exit 34 (northeast and by 95) on 695 to Owings Mills (795) exit 19 in the morning, and then back to White Marsh on the way back. And yes all of the spots that are the worst are when 5 lanes go to 4 and then 4 to 3 right after so really it is 5 to 3 at the part around exit 31 going West. The other bad spots are around 83 where 4 lanes goes to 3. 83 coming south is 4 lanes and then 2 go onto the Beltway which is already 4 lanes. 83 is on 695 for a little while so for that part where 83 and 695 are the same it should be 6 lanes at least (4 for the beltway and 2 for 83). But it's not, 83 just goes onto the beltway and it's only 4 lanes.

Going East from OM.. at that same part the beltway is 4 lanes and then turns to 3 because one of them turns into 83 South. this is the same dumb principal they need to still have a continuous 4 lanes (or 5) around the entire beltway and have extra temporary lanes for the big exits/ mergers. I agree. But anyways, I believe they have plans to do all of this or at least some. They have been re-enforcing and widening bridges which takes some time.

The entire northside of the beltway is TERRIBLE. From route 40 .... through 95 / WhiteMarsh ... through Towson .. through 83 ... and then 795 and down to I 70 like you're talking about. So I guess you could say north and west sides ( and northeast sides). The east side by Key Bridge may not be bad, but that seems to be the only area. The beltway is bad from probaly exit 36 all the way down to the southwest side where sdeclue was talkin around what exit 12 or maybe even lower.

Well, if you do get on SSC, make at least a quick post as fast as you can so when it is working at least they will read it.

Last edited by Ktulured55; Oct 4, 2006 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 8:27 PM

A lot of the Beltway around the north and northeast sides is 3 lanes, which I didn't know. That definitely needs widening. So does 95 north of the city, where it's only three lanes in spots.

I think they should focus on widening 295 as well. That could easily be 4-5 lanes each way and alleviate a ton of 95 traffic.

I just don't see anything getting done while I see tons of projects in DC going on and huge roads down there that are 4,5, and 6 lanes wide. It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 11:14 PM
i heart philly

where is the zenith going up at?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 4:05 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

the corner of Paca and Pratt, right next to the new Hilton Convention Center Hotel that is being built.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 1:47 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Downtown apartment plan stalls
Developer says progress is halted by rising costs
By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter
Originally published October 7, 2006
The developer Baltimore tagged to build luxury apartments on an uninspiring downtown corner blames a softened real estate market and soaring construction costs for stalling the project for more than a year and a half.

City development officials announced in January 2005 that a team led by Mark Sapperstein would build a high-rise called Cityscape near Calvert and Lombard streets. Twenty months later, Sapperstein is still deciding what to build.

This week, officials with Baltimore Development Corp., the city's development arm, were expecting Sapperstein to ask for yet another extension of what began as a 90-day exclusive negotiating period with the agency.

"In any business, you have to make adjustments depending on the economy, etc., and that's what I'm doing here," Sapperstein said. "The reason we're in flux is we're deciding what makes sense to do."

Meanwhile, impatience is building over the lack of progress on the corner. This week, Downtown Partnership President Kirby Fowler asked BDC to prioritize the project.

"We hope that the parties will move forward on a more aggressive schedule," Fowler said. "The buildings have sat empty, and it's a critical site."

BDC has been working to redevelop the area, which is just a block away from the Gallery at Harborplace, since 2001. The agency acquired a number of properties through eminent domain, and in the summer of 2004 it began accepting bids for the site, which is bounded by Calvert, Lombard, Mercer and Grant streets.

Sapperstein's was one of three teams to express interest in the property. The city chose his luxury apartment-based plan, the most ambitious, over the other hotel-oriented proposals.

Unveiled at a news conference at BDC headquarters, the $71 million Cityscape was to include 300 apartments renting for as much as $3,000 a month, street-level shops and a 542-space parking garage. A pool was to go on the roof of the 25-story building.

In the original deal, Sapperstein was going to pay the city $6 million for the site and apply for tax breaks.

The city's Board of Estimates would have to approve the purchase while the City Council needs to sign off on the PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) arrangement.

Neither of those things can happen until Sapperstein and the BDC hammer out a deal - and Sapperstein is still requesting more time.

Kim Clark, a BDC economic development director, said that Sapperstein verbally requested another extension of his negotiating period. She said she's waiting for the request in writing in order "to get things moving."

Sapperstein said that market changes have him thinking differently about how he wants to use the property.

He said he's "kicking around" an idea with Brookshire Hotel - which is next door to the BDC site but was not part of the original deal. It involves expanding the hotel by about 100 rooms and cutting the number of residential units in his plan.

Additionally, Sapperstein said he's no longer sure if he wants to build apartments, which he sees a need for in the market, or condominiums, which he thinks would bring in easier profits.

"The issue is apartment versus condo," he said. "We're working on this on a daily basis."

With rents at over $2 per square foot per month, Cityscape would be one of the most expensive downtown buildings - rivaling waterfront properties such as Spinnaker Bay.

Unsure if there would be interest in apartments that expensive off the water, Sapperstein thinks it might be smart to expand the Brookshire to the lower levels of his building, then start the apartments or condos on the 10th floor - where he would be able to sell the view.

He said the residences and the hotel could share a lobby and tenants could take advantage of hotel cleaning and concierge services.

Sapperstein said his partners on the project remain the same. They include Arrow Parking, Harbor Bank of Maryland Chief Executive Joseph Haskins Jr., and Savannah Development Corp.

Savannah is owned by BettyJean Murphy, who is involved in a dispute with the city over $1.3 million she made by selling a building bought with a public grant that she was supposed to convert into low-income housing.

Sapperstein said last week that Murphy is still part of his team, despite her "issues" with the city.

On BDC's Web site, the agency still puts Cityscape's completion date at July 1 of next year. "It's closer to fall of 2008," Sapperstein said, adding that's only if things begin soon.

Still, BDC officials appear patient.

"I think people feel like when this happens," Clark said, "it will happen."

Meanwhile, if anyone is happy over the Cityscape delays, it's the young artists getting free gallery space in the vacant buildings until demolition begins.

When the city turned over the 30 S. Calvert St. building to Currents in January 2005, officials promised the artists only six months. The idea was to have something vibrant in the space during the lull.

"It's been great," said Hans Petrich, one of the gallery founders. "Every time we talk to them, they push it back another six months.

"It's been almost two years."

jill.rosen@baltsun.com

Old Posted Oct 7, 2006, 9:35 PM
Bmore's Ambassador

Well i am one of the new members of SSP because of the lack of efficiency @ SSC. Hopefully i can add as much input as i can. Thanks Steve for posting the article on Cityscape. I knew it was something holding it back. Is there any word on the progress of the new Hopkins children center? I wasn't in bmore for 2 months now so im in the dark. Can someone enlighten me?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 7:54 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Glad to have you here, too.
Everything with the Children's Center is forward I do believe.
Next time, if you get a chance, can you check to see if there is anything going with the one light street address? Any signs?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 5:54 AM

I was on my way back from DC tonight and made a stop at the Inner Harbor and noticed something very odd...the water level in the harbor was easily several feet higher then normal. It was actually flooding the water taxi station there....any idea why the water was so abnormally high?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 9:14 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Allot of rain, maybe?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman
I was on my way back from DC tonight and made a stop at the Inner Harbor and noticed something very odd...the water level in the harbor was easily several feet higher then normal. It was actually flooding the water taxi station there....any idea why the water was so abnormally high?
There was a full moon this past weekend. I think that impacts the tides.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 7:29 PM

Mercantile Bank and Trust sold to PNC

Another Baltimore headquarted company is sold. I guess that may mean more office space available downtown.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...home-headlines

Baltimore-based Mercantile agrees to buyout
PNC Financial to pay $6 billion in deal; potential job impact unclear
By M. William Salganik
Sun Reporter
Originally published October 9, 2006, 10:03 AM EDT
Mercantile Bankshares Corp., which owns the venerable Mercantile Bank & Trust and 10 smaller banks in the region, announced today it has agreed to sell itself to Pittsburgh-based PNC Financial Services Group in a deal valued at $6 billion.

Mercantile has $17 billion in assets and operates 237 bank offices in Maryland and surrounding states. In addition to Mercantile Bank & Trust, the parent company's holdings include Annapolis Bank and Trust, Citizens National Bank, Farmers & Mechanics Bank, Marshall National Bank and Trust, The National Bank of Fredericksburg and Westminster Union Bank.

The deal, expected to be closed in the first quarter of 2007, is contingent on approval by regulators and by Mercantile's shareholders. It would push PNC, which has been expanding aggressively through acquisitions in the mid-Atlantic region, into the top 10 banks in the country in market capitalization and make it 11th in deposits, according to the company.

There was no immediate announcement of the potential job impact, but PNC and Mercantile said in a statement, "The transaction is expected to result in the reduction of more than $100 million of operating expenses through the elimination of operation and administrative redundancies."

Mercantile shareholders would receive 0.4184 shares of PNC stock and $16.45 in cash for each Mercantile share. The deal values each Mercantile share at $47.24, a premium of about 28 percent over Friday's closing price of $36.78.

PNC has $94.9 billion in assets and more than 2.5 million consumer and small business customers in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and the District of Columbia.

bill.salganik@baltsun.com

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 4:23 PM

The reason for the high water was that weak, early season noreaster that gave us close to 2 inches of rain. The wind was blowing strong and persistantly out of the northeast and was pushing all the water up the bay and up the harbor. Even light winds from the east or northeast over a few days will cause the water levels to rise there.

Steven, should there be something going on at One Light Street?!!??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations