HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Renaissance Village, Jefferson/21st

These towers definitely don't look very good, but at least they're density! The short, red-brick ones are Phase I, and the taller grey ones are Phase II. 28 stories in a weird area between Chinatown and Pilsen? I'll take it! (I seriously doubt this will even get to Phase II, though).

Like the density.

The design/architecture needs a do-over

Is there a link to this proposal.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I abhore 4 + 1's. Wouldn't mind seeing the lot of them torn down and replaced with decent architecture and the same to slightly more dense.
But if the alternatives are:
1) renovation of various levels of quality, maintaining the same unit density
vs.
2) the possibility of better architecture at much lower densities but conforming to current zoning codes

Which would you take? I'll take (1) in under a heartbeat - and that's even ignoring the fact that (2) is, at best, a gamble given the poor taste and quality of most residential construction throughout the city. The urban density of the 4+1 can not be built anymore. So in their own way, like the bulk of Chicago's oft-beloved built environment existing under our current zoning code, they are irreplaceable. Are they so irreparably awful in aesthetic that it's worth tearing them down?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:49 PM

The biggest problem I see with many of the 4+1s in Lakeview is how poorly the majority of their owners care for them. Most are long overdue for major renovations of the units and exteriors.

Unfortunately they are rental cash cows so there is little incentive to sell them off, turn them condo (especially now), or do any work on them above the bare minimum to keep them habitable.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 9:38 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Curious to know, what is the deal with the building on the NE corner of Randolph and Wells? This building has been boarded up for years.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Curious to know, what is the deal with the building on the NE corner of Randolph and Wells? This building has been boarded up for years.
Owned by Forest City Village Green (EDITED: oops, -vfl) , received substantial TIF money in support of a conversion to approx. 200 rental apartments with 0 off-street parking spaces. The project was first announced around 2005. A few historic buildings next door (to the east) were razed to provide room for construction staging. This was the building whose terra cotta was falling off onto the street some years ago and thus needed emergency scaffolding on the tower portion.

What's happening to it now? Good question. I wish we were seeing more progress - I'm not sure if they are doing interior demolition or nothing at all. Hopefully someone else has better or more recent news.

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Nov 26, 2008 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

^^^
Awesome…So the company received taxpayer dollars to renovate the building, and then hasn’t done squat. I work about a block away and walk by it every day. I’ve never seen a sole working in or at the building. I’ll take some pictures of the eyesore tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
^^^
I’ve never seen a sole working in or at the building.
I like the term "sole" for boots on the ground in a construction sense. Although I'm not implying construction workers are without souls.

that distinction is left to mortgage backed security bundlers.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
^^^
Awesome…So the company received taxpayer dollars to renovate the building, and then hasn’t done squat. I work about a block away and walk by it every day. I’ve never seen a sole working in or at the building. I’ll take some pictures of the eyesore tomorrow.
Over the last 10 years, XXX has done some of the most excellent work in the entire City of Chicago. I'll be glad to wait for them to do whatever they need to do.

If you want to get angry about money thrown in to the wind, look no further than Block 37 or any of the countless insider deals that continue to get done at an alarming rate...

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Last edited by honte; Nov 26, 2008 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Over the last 10 years, Forest City has done some of the most excellent work in the entire City of Chicago. I'll be glad to wait for them to do whatever they need to do.

If you want to get angry about money thrown in to the wind, look no further than Block 37 or any of the countless insider deals that continue to get done at an alarming rate...
Agreed. And further, ensuring the successful reuse of this gem of a building is one use of TIF funds in a non-blighted area that I'll support - in contrast to for example, as honte points out, an extra $12 million here and there for a wizbang teleconference center at the Block 37 hotel.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by a chicago bearcat View Post
I like the term "sole" for boots on the ground in a construction sense..
lol. I guess it could be used as a metaphor. I always figured the "not a sole (soul?)" phrase was spelled that way and suggested 'sole' as in single person. But then what the hell do I know, I deal with numbers all day.

But I digress.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Over the last 10 years, Forest City has done some of the most excellent work in the entire City of Chicago. I'll be glad to wait for them to do whatever they need to do.

Don't get me started about Block 37. What a disaster that has been. At least that money was spread around the 4 developers that have squandered it...

And I must admit I am not familiar with Forest City, but I hate to see buildings sit in disrepair, and it's especially annoying when it's got my tax dollars tied to it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 2:02 AM
Registered

^ I think it's good your tax dollars are there, because without them the city would have far less leverage in the development. I'd hate to see that thing end up in demo court.

It's not a very likely scenario, but you get my drift - prior to landmarking and City involvement, the City was threatening to force the previous owner to lop off the tower portion altogether...

XXX has done some great work - including conversions of the Fisher Building and what is now the MDA City Apartments. These have been quite excellent historic renovations and I think we'll be very proud of Randolph Tower when all is said and done.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Last edited by honte; Nov 26, 2008 at 3:21 AM. Reason: My screw-up

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 2:40 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
.....Forest has done some great work - including conversions of the Fisher Building and what is now the MDA City Apartments. These have been quite excellent historic renovations and I think we'll be very proud of Randolph Tower when all is said and done.
Didn't realize that FC did the Fisher. Good for them.

-----

Trivia: the "Forest City" moniker refers to Cleveland OH, which is where the Ratner family is located. Apparently, the city once had quite a tree canopy (much of it since lost through disease & neglect; unlike Chicago, Cleveland has not been very aggressive about replanting).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:18 AM
Registered

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Didn't realize that FC did the Fisher. Good for them.

-----

Trivia: the "Forest City" moniker refers to Cleveland OH, which is where the Ratner family is located. Apparently, the city once had quite a tree canopy (much of it since lost through disease & neglect; unlike Chicago, Cleveland has not been very aggressive about replanting).

Wrabbit, you are absolutely right - I was mistaking in my head Forest City for Village Green. VG did the Fisher building and the other projects I mentioned, not Forest City (who are the big players on the Central Station Development). I apologize. Too many "planty" names for my tired brain, I guess. I haven't been sleeping much lately.

So, VivaL, refresh us please - were you making the same mix-up, or is Village Green not involved with Randolph Tower / Steuben Club? My memory is that they were, not Forest City. Seems I need to review my (nonexistent) notes...

_______

Edit: Here is the link to Village Green's Randolph Tower stuff. Again, my aplogies for the confusion. http://www.villagegreen.com/content/...=272&navID=225

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:33 AM

Quote:
So, VivaL, refresh us please - were you making the same mix-up, or is Village Green not involved with Randolph Tower / Steuben Club? My memory is that they were, not Forest City. Seems I need to review my (nonexistent) notes...
_______
Edit: Here is the link to Village Green's Randolph Tower stuff. Again, my aplogies for the confusion. http://www.villagegreen.com/content/...=272&navID=225
Good catch... I guess my dyslexic brain mixed up our various residential developers who name themselves by combining an arboreal term and a form of municipality. Previous post edited...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:55 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Wrabbit, you are absolutely right - I was mistaking in my head Forest City for Village Green.....
I didn't catch it either LOL - I was just spouting trivia.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:07 AM

ok.....so which is the correct answer ? .........also, I thought that tower had some sort of landmark status ?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:18 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^Village Green - they did the recent restoration of the Fisher. And you are correct that the Fisher is landmarked.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:22 AM
Registered

^ Yes, Village Green is the developer.

Yes, Village Green does great work.

Yes, all of Village Green's big downtown projects to my memory have landmark status - MDA, Fisher, Randolph Tower.

No, Forest City is not involved with this project.

Yes, Forest City does some good work, but not as great IMO as Village Green (I'm still annoyed with them a bit because Central Station isn't as bold as their other urban partnerships).

Yes, there are way too many "Plant + Random Other Object" monikers.

Yes, Honte is so stupid, he can't cross out his mistakes like VivaLFuego.

Phew.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:30 PM

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/

New WTTW11 documentary revisits 10 years of drama on Chicago's lakefront

I haven't had a chance yet to look at the DVD for WTTW11's upcoming documentary, "Chicago's Lakefront," but I'm looking forward to it. The host, Geoffrey Baer, has a track record of skillfully weaving together architectural analysis, cultural history and memorable anecdotes. So the expectations for this show, which covers the recent history of the lakefront, are high.

Nearly 10 years ago, Baer did a fine documentary on the lakefront for WTTW11, and this all-new. 90-minute program, which will be shown Monday, Dec. 1 at 7:30 p.m., covers the dramatic developments since then. They range from the triumph of Millennium Park to Mayor Richard M. Daley's infamous midnight raid on Meigs Field to Barack Obama's stirring Election Night rally in Grant Park. The show also promises to be timely, coming just before next year's 100th anniversary of the Burnham Plan, which helped establish Chicago's nearly continuous chain of lakefront parks.

The show will be broadcast on both WTTW11 and WTTWD. It will be rebroadcast on Tuesday, Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. and on Sunday, Dec. 14, at 12:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development