HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They need to work on the connectivity though. The best way to slay urbanity is by isolating it. Rail lines and bus routes, of course, but maybe even more surprisingly important, a street grid that is connected to the rest of the city.
This is def true, and one of the main reasons it still doesn't strike me as truly urban area. It's animating idea is that big blocks of development (Domain, Broadmoor, now the Stadium District) can be next to one another and -- voila -- you have a downtown. But it's not that easy, obviously, and when you're out there trying to frogger across Burnet during business hours, it's clear as a bell that you're not in any recognizable city center. At least, not yet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 10:30 PM

Yea the area plan seems to add a couple more consistent N/S roads but that requires these areas to be redeveloped first. Until then, you will have warehouses breaking up the road.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:14 AM

There are a couple items on the council agenda for this Thursday.

Item 38 is Broadmoor
Interesting that the development bonus can't kick in until construction starts on the relocated train station.

Item 51 is the new subdistrict
inside Braker Lane, Burnet Road, the Union Pacific Railroad, and Gault Lane.

Have to hand it to COA Cap/Metro. Forcing Broadmoor to move the Kramer station forces PSV to build a new station on the McKayla lot. I could see PSV living with the Kramer station where it is given it's going to cost 15 million build a new one on their lot. I remember seeing somewhere that Cap Metro would not want to have the broadmoor station and the Kramer station as they would be too close.

On the other hand, maybe this requirement which adds 12-15 million to development cost of the Broadmoor site pushes their timeline for development assuming Amazon HQ doesn't come in ready to lease everything. I wonder what portion of their site plan they could start building that might not need the bonus?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:23 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I used to always think of the central Austin core as the area bounded between Mopac/I35 and Ben White/183. With the Broadmoor and soccer stadium now being added to the Domain area, I'm now starting to think that Ben White/183 should now be Ben White/Parmer Ln.
I'd argue the same thing for South Austin: William Cannon or Stassney is probably the southern boundary of the core with all of the new development happening along the N/S corridors and in St. Elmo.

Also: this definition precludes the inner east side. Everything within the eastern loop created by 183/71 is part of the core, as well, so the boundary isn't just I35 to the east.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Interesting that the development bonus can't kick in until construction starts on the relocated train station.
This effectively kills Broadmoor as a serious contender for Amazon HQ2, unless they start construction on the station within the new few months. Amazon's RFP stated that they want direct access to transit on day 1. Furthermore, without the development bonus they can't even provide enough initial square feet, either, to be attractive to Amazon on day 1.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Furthermore, without the development bonus they can't even provide enough initial square feet, either, to be attractive to Amazon on day 1.
I don't know if this is necessarily correct. I believe there's ~1M square feet of office space existing at Broadmoor. At least some of it is vacant (according to listings we've previously seen), and I have no idea how much more could be freed up by 2019.

Given that Amazon's first stage only required 500k, that's probably enough. I've got to believe that, given that they proposed it(to Amazon) as an option. New construction was never going to be ready for day 1 regardless of any rezoning or bonuses.

More concerning(for the longer term requirements) is the overall limit from the TIA (which I still don't get).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
More concerning(for the longer term requirements) is the overall limit from the TIA (which I still don't get).
What were the limits?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
What were the limits?
"The site development should be limited to uses and intensities that will not exceed or vary from the projected traffic conditions assumed in the final TIA (dated November 22, 2017) through a public restrictive covenant"

"Land use proposed intensity

General office 2,123,137 SF
shopping center/retail 98,462 SF
restaurant 40,000 SF
."

Again, I'm not sure why they're rezoning, or even proposed moving the station, for that level of intensity.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
"The site development should be limited to uses and intensities that will not exceed or vary from the projected traffic conditions assumed in the final TIA (dated November 22, 2017) through a public restrictive covenant"

"Land use proposed intensity

General office 2,123,137 SF
shopping center/retail 98,462 SF
restaurant 40,000 SF
."

Again, I'm not sure why they're rezoning, or even proposed moving the station, for that level of intensity.
Well I think it's safe to say Brandywine does not thing they are getting Amazon HQ.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:50 AM

The Flatiron update

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...ain/1111661867

Sad to report that a construction worker fell through the roof. Hoping he has a full
recovery.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:55 PM

Community Impact has a brief but decent summary of the Broadmoor project for those not keeping up. Final Council action could be in May.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ncil-approval/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:55 AM
Meh

I don't remember seeing this rendering of the Domain towers before. They even have them labeled.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...tml#i/10869875

Article
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...igh-above.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...spurt-yet.html

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 22, 2018 at 8:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:47 PM

ABJ posted an article about the Domain stating that two new towers (Domain 2 and 3) are in making. They will have a design similar to Domain 1 and will be around 10 stories and 300,000sqft. The development is in the very early phase and permitting has not started yet.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...in-domain.html

ABJ also posted another article about the Domain and North Austin in general, saying the area is poised for growth.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...spurt-yet.html

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 8:57 AM
Meh

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 9:27 AM
Meh

Site plan for Domain 10 has been approved and released. No files yet, but they should show up soon. This was just issued earlier this week.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3334455

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Isn't that the McKalla soccer stadium lot?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Isn't that the McKalla soccer stadium lot?
It's on the Burnet RD. side of it. This is from the same ABJ article:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:00 AM
Meh

Quote:
Site plan for Domain 10 has been approved and released. No files yet, but they should show up soon. This was just issued earlier this week.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3334455
All the files are uploaded.

The heights are:

224 feet to mechanical penthouse
210 feet to main roof parapet
206 feet to main roof slab
190 feet to top floor (15th)

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:31 PM
Meh

I believe this is the first time I've seen their plan for how many square feet they're planning. This says they have entitlements for 8 million square feet, but this says they could seek additional entitlements for 17.4 million square feet. That would suggest a total of 25 million square feet of space just in the Broadmoor development alone. That's without considering all the space at the Domain. With that amount of space, nevermind the height, it would be a true 2nd downtown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-to-build.html
Quote:
Brandywine close to winning key rezoning to build denser, higher on North Austin campus occupied by IBM

But there's a catch involving a train station

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
4 hours ago

Brandywine Realty Trust has big plans for the 66-acre North Austin campus occupied by IBM Corp., and it is close to clearing a major hurdle toward realizing that vision.

Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) is asking the city to rezone the site at 11501 Burnet Road, home to IBM's 1.1 million square feet of office space. Brandywine owns the site and hopes to redevelop it into a high-density, mixed-used project with the potential for office, hotel, residential and retail space a stone’s throw away from The Domain.

The Pennsylvania-based real estate firm wants the city to rezone the area from commercial mixed use to a transit-oriented development/gateway. Once the site is in the new subdistrict, Brandywine can then seek density bonuses that would allow it to build up to 360 feet tall, up from the 120 feet currently allowed, according to city documents. It would increase the floor-to-area ratio — which determines how much square feet of space can be built on the property — from 5:1 to 8:1, according to a letter submitted to the city by Brandywine's attorney, David Anderson of the Drenner Group. And the zoning change would allow for up to 80 percent impervious cover, documents show.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 7, 2018 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 5:27 PM
クラブトクヨ

As these developments start to over pour out of domain proper, this are is poised to get really dense, hope the soccer stadium gets built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin