HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 11:59 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
according to SSC this should start real soon, if both this and the San Fran tower go through there will be 3 supertalls on the west coast total!
Well, they have to demolish the existing hotel first, and even then construction is a long ways off. Also, I believe they are initially building just the 750' tall building, although that may just be speculation.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
according to SSC this should start real soon, if both this and the San Fran tower go through there will be 3 supertalls on the west coast total!
Yeah, that would be AWESOME .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Well, they have to demolish the existing hotel first, and even then construction is a long ways off. Also, I believe they are initially building just the 750' tall building, although that may just be speculation.
Correct and correct. Perhaps what Zapatan is referring to is in fact the demolition. Which makes sense, since the existing hotel is just about to close. In fact, if i'm correct, by next spring it should be torn down.

And the new hotel (750') will indeed be built first. I'm actually pretty optimistic that it'll break ground some time next year, given the future demand that will emerge in the downtown LA hotel market.

As for the office tower (1250'), that definitely is a couple years off... the office market has a ways to go before the demand merits building it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:22 AM
DENNAB

hmm that's kind of dissapointing. They should make it taller to make it worth the wait

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:49 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This would probably also be the most earthquake resistant tower on the west coast.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:07 AM

Um... The West Coast already has a supertall guys... >.>

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:42 AM
DENNAB

yes but if this and the San Fran tower go through it will have 3!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:56 PM

Quote:
yes but if this and the San Fran tower go through it will have 3!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:09 AM

To the informed reader: if available, would you kindly update us as to the current status of this tower here? Thank you in advance.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:04 AM

^ It's been "approved". Demolition of the existing hotel is set to take place next year.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Great news!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 6:10 AM
DENNAB

a 750 and 1250 footer for LA

awesome news!!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 6:26 PM

This building looks like the never built American Commerce Center in Philly, and the Bank of America Tower in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 10:03 AM

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/m...9bb2963f4.html

Quote:
The hotel at 930 Wilshire Blvd. opened on Aug. 6, 1952. On Friday, Dec. 23, its last guest will check out.

The 896-room establishment, which became the Wilshire Grand in 1999, will be demolished by its owner, Korean Air. The land on the northwest corner of Seventh and Figueroa streets will become the site of a $1.1 billion, two-tower project. The first portion, a 45-story hotel and condominium skyscraper, is slated to open in 2015.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
DENNAB

niiiice, it looks like both towers will be built!

More supertalls for the USA!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So far only the shorter hotel tower is slated for construction. The taller office tower is still awaiting an anchor tenant, so it is far from a done deal.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So far only the shorter hotel tower is slated for construction. The taller office tower is still awaiting an anchor tenant, so it is far from a done deal.
Building a 750ft tower in Los Angeles is like building a supertall.

But honestly, I don't know how they couldn't find a tennant for the taller tower. There hasn't been new office space in dowtown Los Angeles in 20 years. If not an outside company wanting to move in, than you would think someone would want to upgrade by now.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ You're right: a 750 ft. tower is nothing to sneeze at for LA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen construction of a tower over 700 ft. for close to, if not more than, 20 years.

As for commercial tenants, downtown has seen a few high-profile firms, like Gensler, move downtown recently, and there's been a mildly healthy increase in office leasing activity, but tenants seeking 300,000+ sq. ft. of contiguous office space in LA are few and far between. And to get off the ground, this tower likely needs commitments for more like 600,000+ sq. ft. And the City of Los Angeles will have a tough time luring new business that size into town with their current business tax codes. So while it's not impossible, I don't think it will be an easy task.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:10 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Building a 750ft tower in Los Angeles is like building a supertall.

But honestly, I don't know how they couldn't find a tennant for the taller tower. There hasn't been new office space in dowtown Los Angeles in 20 years. If not an outside company wanting to move in, than you would think someone would want to upgrade by now.
750 feet anywhere is a very exciting prospect.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ You're right: a 750 ft. tower is nothing to sneeze at for LA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen construction of a tower over 700 ft. for close to, if not more than, 20 years.

As for commercial tenants, downtown has seen a few high-profile firms, like Gensler, move downtown recently, and there's been a mildly healthy increase in office leasing activity, but tenants seeking 300,000+ sq. ft. of contiguous office space in LA are few and far between. And to get off the ground, this tower likely needs commitments for more like 600,000+ sq. ft. And the City of Los Angeles will have a tough time luring new business that size into town with their current business tax codes. So while it's not impossible, I don't think it will be an easy task.
Taxes again, huh? That is really sad news, because I would think downtown Los Angeles could be a very attractive place for bussineses today. For all this talk I hear about Califronia needing to move up, densify, cure the car addiction, this kind of project would be such a lost opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude
750 feet anywhere is a very exciting prospect.
Indeed, that is true!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:51 PM
Ascension

California, especially (downtown) Los Angeles is one of the hardest places to build anything on. I'm not sure why that is but it's something people in LA are quite aware of. How this huge proposal progressed from proposed to approved pretty swiftly without any real problems is really refreshing. Now we just need to find some tenants for the office tower. I would imagine however that Korean Air will move their US HQ into the office tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive