HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 7:04 PM

fantastic pics Mojeda
Looks like the crane is coming down. When is this supposed to open to the public?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 7:48 PM

^March

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 8:03 PM

16 sections of mast were removed. The crane is about 1/3 down according to "Tower Guy" the crane operator.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 2:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Two new observation decks atop prominent DTLA skyscrapers will vie for visitors — and dollars

Quote:
When tourists envision Los Angeles, they typically imagine Venice Beach, Beverly Hills mansions and the iconic Hollywood sign. Few of them think of the Downtown Los Angeles skyline. But the developers of DTLA’s tallest buildings are working hard to change that, adding sky-high amenities that simultaneously raise their profiles and their bottom lines.

The Harry Cobb-designed 1989 U.S. Bank Tower has a gleaming new 43,000-square-foot observation deck, dubbed Skyspace LA, with a first-class restaurant and a quirky amenity called the Skyslide. Since this attraction opened, in June 2016, visitors have been sliding from the building’s 70th to 69th floor, whooshing along a thick composite of Italian chemically tempered twisted glass and Chinese flat-tempered glass. On a recent afternoon visit, a reporter for The Real Deal took a ride on the Skyslide, traversing the single floor (smartphone video camera in hand) in a matter of seconds.

“L.A. is a world city, and should have the cultural amenities you see in so many cities around the world,” said John Gamboa, a senior vice president of the Singapore-based OUE, which purchased the 1,018-foot tower in 2013. “We’ve been a city where the office skyline isn’t as highly regarded as the Hollywood sign. Not anymore. The sky’s the limit!”

Not to be outdone, the developers of the Wilshire Grand Center have planned an observation deck for the building’s grand opening, which is slated for the spring of 2017. The 73-story, 1,100-foot tower will become the tallest building west of the Mississippi — stealing that title from the nearby U.S. Bank Tower.

The Wilshire Grand’s new three-floor “sky lobby” will include a 20,000-square-foot glass lobby, a 6,800-square-foot, five-star French restaurant and an 18,000-square-foot glass-walled observation deck.

“L.A. already has high-rises, but the public could never go up them and enjoy them until now,” said Chris Martin, lead architect of A.C. Martin Partners, which is designing the Korean Air-owned building.
=======================
http://therealdeal.com/la/issues_art...ing-into-view/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 9:53 PM
:o

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:18 PM
Not far from Disneyland

So although Wilshire Grand Center is the tallest, US Bank Tower has the highest occupied floor?

I wonder if that will have people going to the US Bank observation deck more often. Interesting. They are so close to each other.....

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 11:10 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefigman View Post
So although Wilshire Grand Center is the tallest, US Bank Tower has the highest occupied floor?

I wonder if that will have people going to the US Bank observation deck more often. Interesting. They are so close to each other.....
Not necessarily.

Just like Empire State and Rockefeller Ctr, or Sears (I will always call it Sears lol) Tower and John Hancock, they can operate in tandem as each will offer a different experience. Where as US Bank has the Slide and is higher, which will make it a draw, WG was purpose designed to have this, so it will be a more integrated experience, as well as having a built in customer base as it will be a hotel. Both are making downtown cooler...so bring it on!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Not necessarily.

Just like Empire State and Rockefeller Ctr, or Sears (I will always call it Sears lol) Tower and John Hancock, they can operate in tandem as each will offer a different experience. Where as US Bank has the Slide and is higher, which will make it a draw, WG was purpose designed to have this, so it will be a more integrated experience, as well as having a built in customer base as it will be a hotel. Both are making downtown cooler...so bring it on!
I will call it Willis Tower not simply because that's what it is now called but that also happens to be my last name . Anytime my last name gets on a famous skyscraper or any skyscraper obviously I have to go with that.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 4, 2016 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Wow it really does fit nicely into the skyline. A world class tower for a world class city

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:22 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

A really beautiful tower that looks striking on the Los Angeles skyline. I really like the design.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 10:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Oh wow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . And that's a nice shot of the city as well.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:43 PM

^^^^

I just want to walk up behind her, take her in my arms, and look out over the city with her.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 8, 2016 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 11:54 PM

^^^^

Lol. What happens when she turns her head around? Bloody eyes? I can only imagine.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 12:13 AM

Last edited by Justbuildit; Oct 8, 2016 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 5:40 AM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 3:41 AM

IMG_9470 by Mario Cecchetti, on Flickr

IMG_9473 by Mario Cecchetti, on Flickr

The WG looks quite spectacular at sunset... Love the seamless glass now that the crane is gone.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:51 PM

At this rate, it'll take longer to finish the sail than it took to construct the building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 5:27 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Not for nothing, but I have noticed in all of the recent pics of the Wilshire Grand at night, the crown of the adjacent Figueroa at Wilshire Tower has been shut off. Is this accurate? Does anyone else see something different? If its true, I had a thought that they may try to do that, since that crown is the brightest downtown, and it would literally be blazing right outside of dozens of hotel room windows on that north face of the tower.
Personally I love that tower and hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:20 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive