HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:20 AM

ALBANY: 50 Shades of Overcast REDUX

Another year, another pair of holiday visits back to my home city and another overload of cloudy shots because that's what Upstate gives you this time of year, and you WILL love it, damn it. You'll only see the slightest hints of sunshine, and in place of that you'll see lots of tans, browns, GRAY, and a little leftover fall foliage. A cornucopia of color it ain't

So this photo thread follows directly in the footsteps of one I made a year ago with the same name, both in tone (bleak! sad!) and in geography (most shots are from Rensselaer, just across the Hudson River from downtown). As I said in the earlier thread, my family all lives on the east side of the river so this angle from Rensselaer is how I grew up viewing Albany, AND my dad worked at the Amtrak station sitting right in the middle of this little city with a funny spelling, so again this is the terrain I know. Plus this is definitely where Albany's skyline looks best from.

AND as I always do, these are posted in chronological order, starting with the Thanksgiving shots. Enjoy!

Hard to not keep taking pics of that behemoth

Serious shades of the Bronx

Time to leave the skyline p0rn behind and go visit... the dead Kmart right by my mom's

"Garden Center"

Speaking of gardens, here's my dad's terrain

And a quick interlude 20 miles south to my hometown in the Hudson River Valley

Catskill Mountains off in the distance

And now it's Christmas break back in the city

This is an atypical sighting: these yards are strictly Amtrak--no freight--so to see hopper cars here is odd. But what they're doing is bringing in ballast so the station can add a new track and increase capacity. Albany: 61st largest metro, 9th busiest Amtrak station

Quick trip downtown

And that's it, hope you liked and if you did may I once again suggest you check out last year's thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220351

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 3:01 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I did enjoy it. Being from Upstate myself, I can totally identify with the gray look of the place this time of year (and probably 6 months total). I haven't visited Albany too many times, but always found it to be a big city urbanity tucked into a small space. Unlike many other parts of Upstate, Albany seems to now be rebounding quite nicely. Thanks for the tour. btw, do you live near Catskill/Hudson?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 6:23 PM

^ Yeah the grey period really lasts from Halloween until like the second or third week of April, making that right around 6 months of fun fun fun.

And as for you question, I grew up in between Hudson and Albany, in the wonderful little town of Kinderhook. But now I'm down in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 7:36 PM
Reach for the Clouds

That's a pretty good tour! Thanks for posting these.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 9:01 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very interesting tour along Albany!
Awesome pictures, I like them, they have much quality and great sharpness.
Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:31 PM

Nice pictures! I don't recall ever seeing skyline shots from the river. The river seems to be largely ignored by people who do photothreads of Albany, so it was nice to see that embraced. Does Albany do anything with their waterfront, like so many other cities do?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 5:09 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice job, dig all the asymmetric shots that someone familiar with their surroundings might take.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Does Albany do anything with their waterfront, like so many other cities do?
There's some basic waterfront parks on Albany's side (cut off from the rest of the city by a highway) but the Rensselaer side--where I'm shooting from--is virtually untouched. The economy just isn't alive enough to see developers do much of anything around here: almost all new development that's worth a damn goes on to the north in Saratoga and around the new computer chip fab in Malta. Albany and Rensselaer are essentially frozen in time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:15 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Great pics. I don't recall seeing very many Albany photothreads ever posted to this site.

I love the geometry of this photo.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos