HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:56 PM

I'll believe this when I see ground being broken....A year from now people will still be posting potential designs on this board. In any other city a building will be halfway built before it makes the local news...Builders do this: Don't ask the city for anything, just build the damn things you want...Once it's started they can lay their no-growth bodies in front of the heavy equipment in a futile NIMBY protest...These freaks are all talk and no bite!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:04 PM

I'd want this tower built if the developer was Hitler's grandson!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 1:14 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
This was mentioned 10 days ago (June 24) by "Hellozies" who left this comment in the Austin American Statesman article titled

San Diego developer plans 50-story hotel east of Austin Convention Center
See, now banning these guys' business would be way worse than what Council did on the Arizona legislation. This would hurt the economy here, as well as in San Diego. Definitely against what he's fighting for, though.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:15 AM

I'm confused. If you are anti same sex marriage in a state that does not allow same sex marriage, then you may not be able to build in Austin?? I hope it doesn't come down to this.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:02 AM
Ex Houstonian

So what if the developer was a prop 8 supporter? Its not like if he builds the hotel here its going to make everyone hate gays or something. Freakin build the damn thing!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 5:35 AM

Yeah, I'm with you guys on this. And since my analogy was a hit last time, I'll use another one. I liken this to going to eat at a restaurant despite the fact that I disagree with the cooks views on reality, or lack thereof.

Ok, maybe not as good as last time, but you get the point. It's probably cause I'm not drunk right now.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Yeah, I'm with you guys on this. And since my analogy was a hit last time, I'll use another one. I liken this to going to eat at a restaurant despite the fact that I disagree with the cooks views on reality, or lack thereof.

Ok, maybe not as good as last time, but you get the point. It's probably cause I'm not drunk right now.
That was still OK. I'm paying for food not political advice when I eat.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 9:15 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post

That was still pretty good. Most all cooks I know are also some of the oddest people I know.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:38 AM

Very troubling. I would not invite this man or his money to contribute to the bigotry already dominate in this state. This is not OK.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:13 PM

Build this hotel and delay the White Lodging project until a consistant proven demand is shown..A good alternative would be the smaller boutique hotel at 412 Congress or the Van Zandt..Never give the customers everything they want...It's better to have one hotel 90% full than two hotels 45% full. i know that one could argue the both hotels would be making money in their bars and restaurants but this is not always the case..The emenities in half empty hotels tend to not do well when occupancy is low...It's a vibe or energy issue. Constrain the market, keep prices high...Economics 101...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Very troubling. I would not invite this man or his money to contribute to the bigotry already dominate in this state. This is not OK.
I guess you probably won't be booking a room there if it gets built.:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I guess you probably won't be booking a room there if it gets built.:
If this all proves to be true... yes, I not only would not... I will be doing everything possible to not have it built.

It is one thing to have a conversation on a difference of opinion. It is another to have mega-money working to spread bigotry and make my life less valuable.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
If this all proves to be true... yes, I not only would not... I will be doing everything possible to not have it built.

It is one thing to have a conversation on a difference of opinion. It is another to have mega-money working to spread bigotry and make my life less valuable.
Noooo! Believe me I don't like the guy either but I want that building built! Its not the building's fault that the people that want to build it are retarded. Poor building .

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:55 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Its not the building's fault that the people that want to build it are retarded. Poor building .
Haha, this made me laugh. I really really do love this building. It would be huge for us. One of the tallest hotels in the world right here in Austin? Are you kidding me? That would be cool as hell!

But my worry is that if this jack ass invest in Austin in such a way as this building, he very well may put money in Austin in other ways. Our state has enough dummy bigots. And we seem to keep importing more and more every day from places like Cali.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Noooo! Believe me I don't like the guy either but I want that building built! Its not the building's fault that the people that want to build it are retarded. Poor building .
Oh, Jdawg....... But that poor building ( which is generic San Diego, btw) will make daddy lots of money that he will spend making some of our lives harder to live. Believe, No pile of metal is worth that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Haha, this made me laugh. I really really do love this building. It would be huge for us. One of the tallest hotels in the world right here in Austin? Are you kidding me? That would be cool as hell!

But my worry is that if this jack ass invest in Austin in such a way as this building, he very well may put money in Austin in other ways. Our state has enough dummy bigots. And we seem to keep importing more and more every day from places like Cali.
Yup.... I have that same HUGH mixed reaction. Sad....but, true.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Oh, Jdawg....... But that poor building ( which is generic San Diego, btw) will make daddy lots of money that he will spend making some of our lives harder to live. Believe, No pile of metal is worth that.
It's much better than most of what is in San Diego.

I generally agree with you on the substance (as a young gay man myself), but I still think it should be built. Daddy has enough money already to spend making sure that Prop 8 clones get passed everywhere, and this isn't going to change that. As it is anyway, demographic changes are moving the politics of this in our favor so quickly as to render his opposition practically pointless. Also, your life in Texas can't get any worse as Texas already has a constitutional amendment banning both gay marriage and any institution remotely resembling gay marriage. Anyway, apart from marriage the guy seems to be fine with gays afaik.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 9:24 PM
Meh

It's possible the hotel could be sold later anyway. So it's not as though the company will be here forever.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:04 AM

So the guy is a douche bag. I always thought Texas, culturally speaking, was at least 5 - 10 years behind NY which just passed same sex marriage bill, so he's just farting in the wind... there will be legalized gay marriage in TX and California by the end of the decade if not sooner and he can't stop that from happening. So fuck him, let him build his hotel. It will do wonders for our skyline. At least we know where he stands, there are tons of closet racists and bigots roaming our streets.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:21 AM

It's not the final answer on such issues, but I'd say it's more effective to expend one's efforts fighting wrong-headed legislation directly than to do so indirectly by trying to weaken those who support wrong-headed laws. Or maybe I just like the design and I'm rationalizing. Don't think so, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin