HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 9:47 PM

Future Franchise Ideas - Hamilton Ontario

So if we want renewal, let’s talk renewal...

I have been curious to observe discussion of what Hamiltonian’s think they would like to see in their downtown, particularly the downtown core area.

Recently a friend of mine, unaware of how good of a friend I am and would appreciate this ‘plug’ for his business, decided to open a Smokey’s Poutinery (http://www.smokespoutinerie.com/) in downtown Barrie. Knowing how seemingly well the Hamilton, George Street location seems to be doing, it inspired me to think of another fresh niche. What would you like to see Hamilton? What do you often wish was closer to you? What would you frequent?

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Better wording

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:35 PM

This doesn't really fit in with the "franchise" idea, but it is something I'd like to see in the city. I'd love a craft brewery. We have the population to support it and craft beers are at an all-time popularity high. Every year, macro brews are losing market share.

Burlington has a brewery. Oakville has one. Toronto has several. Hell, even tiny St Thomas has one! Why not Hamilton?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:46 PM

Here in Windsor, Walkerville Brewery just opened with major expansion plans for the near future. I'm hoping it will eventually become a full fledged brew pub one day.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 1:47 PM

I think a Chipotle Mexican Grill would do decent in Jackson.

I think an Apple store would do fine even with the Burlington location.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 2:16 PM

Chapters/Indigo (perhaps on a revamped side of City Centre on James or in Gore park area)

Big, modern movie theatres.

an NHL team.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 2:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Would love to have a Benihana, Japanese restaurant where a chef prepares dinner at the table.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Would love to have a Benihana, Japanese restaurant where a chef prepares dinner at the table.
It's not Benihana, but if you like that, try Hibachi in Burlington (Appleby & Upper Middle).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 6:25 PM

I'm not sure if they franchise but Quebec's Trois Brasseurs is a small chain of brewpubs that would be a great addition to our city.

They recently opened the anglicized Three Brewers on Yonge St. in Toronto, so they aren't Ontario averse.

We had dinner in the downtown Montreal location last year. The food and beer both were tasty and the brewpub environment wasn't too contrived seeming. I was surprised to later find out it was a chain as it felt pretty original to me.

Maybe Glen Norton over at EcDev could call them up and put us on their expansion radar.

Of course even better would be if a local person, or group, would start up a Hamilton original brewpub and then maybe export it to places like Montreal and Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
This doesn't really fit in with the "franchise" idea, but it is something I'd like to see in the city. I'd love a craft brewery. We have the population to support it and craft beers are at an all-time popularity high. Every year, macro brews are losing market share.

Burlington has a brewery. Oakville has one. Toronto has several. Hell, even tiny St Thomas has one! Why not Hamilton?
100% agree. Hamilton certainly has the population numbers to support this. Hell, Fredericton NB has one, with a population a tiny fraction of Hamilton.

Anyone want to meet up at The Winking Judge to discuss?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
100% agree. Hamilton certainly has the population numbers to support this. Hell, Fredericton NB has one, with a population a tiny fraction of Hamilton.

Anyone want to meet up at The Winking Judge to discuss?
I've said this elsewhere, but it is something I'd like to do if I could get together the right group of people.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 10:43 PM

The right group should include brewery operations knowledge, marketing and sales folk, and investors?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 12:01 AM

Yogurtys

Two colleagues of mind suggested they would love to see a Yogurty's (http://www.yogurtys.com/Default.aspx) here in Hamilton. There is one in Brantford apparently. They said you get to make your own Yogurt treat and have a wide variety of toppings to choose from.
Northender98

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:07 AM
Hammer'd

Another vote for Trois Brasseurs. I also went to the one on Ste-Catherine and it was amazing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:49 AM

Conceptually, it'd be neat to see '90s-era Jackson Square franchises return to the roost. Names like Jacob, Benneton, Club Monaco, Mark's & Spencer's and Sbarro's. City Centre can join in with HMV, Moore's and Eddie Bauer.

Maybe throw a Bell store in for oughties kicks.

And a craft brewery would be a great addition anywhere in the city.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
The right group should include brewery operations knowledge, marketing and sales folk, and investors?
I'd settle for just brewery operations knowledge and investors! Marketing can be handled by other firms and I truly believe that sales will come if you have a good product. Maybe I'm naive, though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 12:55 PM

What would you call this brewery? 'Bay Front Brewery', 'Hoptical Hamilton'?

When going to school in Barrie I made sure to do a very good job of checking out the Flying Monkey Craft Brewery (used to be called Robert Simpson Brewery named after their first mayor) in their downtown. It is a fun, Willy Wonka like place with firehall rear doors, tours available, event bookings, a gift shop and samples of 'Hoptical Illusion' to be had! Many avenues to make money, also Barrie Beer Fest sure helps.
http://theflyingmonkeys.ca/

Put it in the church off James St S. (that is for sale) and ride the free advertising of controversy haha. http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.as...Key=1666469869

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:10 PM

Mongolian Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Certainly a great market for that.

I love Mongolian Grill in Waterloo, they are between the Laurier and Waterloo Campuses. They whip up the selections of meat and veggies you have selected from their buffet and cook it for you on their massive grill.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 3:26 PM

Quote:
I'd settle for just brewery operations knowledge and investors! Marketing can be handled by other firms and I truly believe that sales will come if you have a good product. Maybe I'm naive, though.

I'll do the marketing. Been looking for an exit plan to stop commuting haha.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
What would you call this brewery? 'Bay Front Brewery', 'Hoptical Hamilton'?

When going to school in Barrie I made sure to do a very good job of checking out the Flying Monkey Craft Brewery (used to be called Robert Simpson Brewery named after their first mayor) in their downtown. It is a fun, Willy Wonka like place with firehall rear doors, tours available, event bookings, a gift shop and samples of 'Hoptical Illusion' to be had! Many avenues to make money, also Barrie Beer Fest sure helps.
http://theflyingmonkeys.ca/

Put it in the church off James St S. (that is for sale) and ride the free advertising of controversy haha. http://www.icx.ca/propertyDetails.as...Key=1666469869
Funny you should say that, Pearlstreet. My "basement brew" is called Bay Water Breweries.

Flying Monkey is one of Ontario's best. I haven't been up to visit them, but if I'm ever in the area, I'm going to stop by.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Funny you should say that, Pearlstreet. My "basement brew" is called Bay Water Breweries...
I suggest Bay City Brewery® as the name of this about-to-be-founded microbrewery. (Bay Water has some unintended problems, from a marketing pov. )

Brews could include Pearl Pale Ale, Main 4-Lane IPA, Lister Lager, Bayfront Belgian Dubbel, I Mix Up North And South ESB, ........

Last edited by movingtohamilton; Sep 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton