HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: If anyone, who do you currently support for Mayor
Bob Hawksworth 1 1.23%
Craig Burrows 1 1.23%
Joe Connelly 2 2.47%
Jon Lord 0 0%
Kent Hehr 4 4.94%
Naheed Nenshi 47 58.02%
Paul Hughes 1 1.23%
Ric McIver 6 7.41%
Wayne Stewart 2 2.47%
The Moose who ran through downtown 17 20.99%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
I certainly hope one or the other would drop out if it was evident their campaign was floundering, to give the one with stronger support a better chance. I would hope either one of Nenshi or Hehr, depending on how things shake out would drop out to give the other a better chance, since considering how the odds are stacked we can't be splitting the votes too much between candidates who support an urbanist agenda. In fact, not sure how many of the current candidates will actually continue. Guys like Lord and Burrows don't seem to be getting a lot of attention in the media or anywhere, unless things pick up for them I don't see much point in them continuing.
In a race like this I wouldn't worry about vote splitting, as it hurts the right more than the left in Calgary. See: 2001 election.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 3:12 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
The moose is my first choice, unfortunately I have to go with Ric McIver.
SE LRT the reason?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 3:59 PM
Round Head

probably his moustache.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 5:40 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
SE LRT the reason?
I support him completely on that, but also calling bullshit on PlanIt and hopefully coming through with some financial and managerial discipline at city hall.

I just think it is unfortunate you have to go with a hack like McIver to get a little common sense.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 12:22 AM
Round Head

http://politicalgary.blogspot.com/

Politicalgary mayoral poll.

Nenshi has definitely captured the young, online communities. Can he build on that and become the feasible alternative to McIver on a city-wide scale? Hard to say at this point.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 12:56 AM
I'm the bear on the right

It will be interesting to see who the first to drop out of the race will be.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 4:54 AM
dvdktn

My vote goes to Naheed hands down.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 5:27 AM
Round Head

Amen.

His speech and event yesterday was amazing. He's an excellent speaker, with very substantive ideas. This will be his greatest asset in selling his candidacy.

He's got an uphill battle, but is building a lot of momentum that will hopefully position him well as one of the front runners when the majority of Calgarians start paying attention to the campaign come september.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 3:15 PM
effete latte-lifter

Isn't it time for a new poll?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
He's got an uphill battle, but is building a lot of momentum that will hopefully position him well as one of the front runners when the majority of Calgarians start paying attention to the campaign come september.
He could use some 'celebrity' endorsements. By celebrity, I don't mean Britney Spears, rather, someone that the city inhabitants recognize and have known for a long time. I know that star UCalgary business Professor Bob Shulz is a big Nenshi fan, but Bob would only be known within certain circles. I fully suspect that Naheed is already thinking along these lines ...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Article by Boris on Remotely Urban:

REF
Quote:
Nenshi says what?

Nenshi, now with 20% more Moose

If Skyscraperpage forumers voted now (right now, July 7, 2010), Naheed Nenshi would be mayor of Calgary, according to the latest results on the forum poll. He leads the vote by 57%.

The moose who ran through downtown would be the next strongest contender, trailing behind at 23% of the vote. Still, that’s well ahead of third and fourth place, Ric McIver and Kent Hehr, who are tied at 6%. The moose hasn’t officially entered his name into the contest and could not be reached for comment.

While these numbers greatly exaggerate the base of support that Nenshi currently has (we are talking about a fairly close community of skyscraper and urban enthusiasts here), it does come at a time when the Mount Royal professor has kicked off his campaign with a speech at Arts Central. The Political Calgary blog ranks Nenshi’s twitter usage just behind Paul Hughes and ahead of Craig Burrows, in terms of Authenticity, Effectiveness, and Uniqueness. That doesn’t necessarily mean that Nenshi is one of the best at getting his message out there — a lot of people don’t use these social networking tools and the print media seems asleep on the job — but it does offer him an opportunity to go viral.

Interestingly, the poll results for Nenshi on Political Calgary correlate with the one on SSP, showing him ahead at 54%. I suspect the support some other candidates picked up in that poll is largely due to the moose’s absence.

No really, Nenshi says what?

The candidates are still setting up their platforms, and we have a while yet until this election gets into full steam. So it’s understandable that not all the information is out there yet. Heck, my parents had no idea who Nenshi was until I showed them his site. And it seems like academic is the new black.

To break it down quickly, Nenshi is releasing his platform in alphabetical order and has 4 main planks so far:

Accountability

Better Management

Congestion

Dollars

Now, that ought to seem fairly simple. A and B are pretty closely tied however, as the first is about better auditing and b is about better oversight. We could just combine them and start talking about Better ABs.

Nenshi, during his speech the other night, also mentioned the importance of the built environment in attracting and retaining talents (he might be familiar with the work of Richard Florida, who knows?). There is also the matter of the environment, and all that other fun stuff.

The one issue that stands out among the others: the airport tunnel debacle. Nenshi promised the crowd at Arts Central that he would fight hard to get this thing built, and I hope if he gets elected that he can follow through on that promise.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 1:48 PM
Round Head

Story about the Calgary Mayor's race in the G & M

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1637582/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:23 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Wayne Stewart's camp just released this poll result via twitter, anyone heard of 'The Alberta Courage Network' before?

http://www.albertacourage.net/ACNPol...tsJuly2010.pdf

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 4:27 PM

Nenshi strikes me as oddly authentic, and someone who is easy to relate to. For a politician, that kind of scares me

But, I think I'd lean towards him, for a term.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Wayne Stewart's camp just released this poll result via twitter, anyone heard of 'The Alberta Courage Network' before?

http://www.albertacourage.net/ACNPol...tsJuly2010.pdf
From what I gather the poll was a self selecting sample/ much like if the Calgary Herald ran an online poll. Their website itself says "Take the Poll and have your say."

It really isn't a poll, more of a survey.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 5:28 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
From what I gather the poll was a self selecting sample/ much like if the Calgary Herald ran an online poll. Their website itself says "Take the Poll and have your say."

It really isn't a poll, more of a survey.
Or much like the poll on this site.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 6:18 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Pssh, whatever Wooster. You don't even live in this city, thus your opinion counts for zero to me...ZERO!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:24 AM

Why is Stewart so unpopular? The guy sounds like he's pretty accomplished and has been involved in homeless issues. He's an x-CEO, got some pretty good credentials and some big ideas, I like that.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Why is Stewart so unpopular? The guy sounds like he's pretty accomplished and has been involved in homeless issues. He's an x-CEO, got some pretty good credentials and some big ideas, I like that.
I think the thing is that no one knows anything about him. Having the credentials and ideas is fine, but when no one knows he has them it won't matter much. Granted it is early still, but he's got essentially 3 months to become a well known person in the city and so far aside from an ad on a bus I've seen zero from him.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 1:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

He wants to waste a bunch of money on an Olympics bid that is sure to fail due to the proximity of the Vancouver games.

That right there is reason enough for me to doubt him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy