HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
what was the minus 5 ice lounge they talked about at the end?
I think they had a very tiny refrigerated cocktail lounge at Granville Island (?) that featured vodka (??) and all the furniture etc was made of ice (???). I remember watching something about that on TV...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
I'm guessing USA Today to NBC is like CBC to CTV here? So maybe that's why there's more of a negative connotation to the games (of which NBC had almost none).

C'mon, like CBC?? USA Today is known as a *newspaper* in the US and a sort of generic read-it-in-the-airport-between-flights newspaper at that. USA Today video? Who knew? I'm sure this isn't even known to most Americans, and I'm sure it's a small operation, thus the crappy quality and "local" look and sound of the reporters. I'm American and I have never seen USA Today video news before now. To think these reporters even know what they are talking about and to think that it goes out to anything larger than the smallest segment of the US population is really silly. In general, the US media have been very positive about Vancouver. I think any anger about unfairness in reporting should be aimed at the Brits.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnny4 View Post
I think any anger about unfairness in reporting should be aimed at the Brits.
Don't worry, it is! I think we are all generally quite pleased with the American reporting and reviews of the Olympics and Vancouver. Go USA!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 12:35 PM
BANNED

apparently some Brit journalists were just as surprised as we were:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-m..._b_470119.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 1:13 AM

Fog and heavy snow brings chaos to Games

Monday, March 15, 2010

VANCOUVER: Alpine skiing events on the opening day of the 2010 Paralympics fell victim to the weather on Saturday in a worrying echo of the problems which plagued the recent Winter Olympics.

Weather played havoc with the downhill events, which were due to produce six gold medallists, in in the mountain resort of Whistler.

But instead of melting snow, the problem was fog and heavy snow.

“Men’s and women’s downhill events scheduled for Saturday have been postponed due to poor visibility caused by persistent fog,” Vancouver Paralympic organisers announced in a news release.

Competitors had spent hours at the Creekside venue in Whistler waiting for the weather to clear. While authorities issued a warning that the avalanche risk is “extreme” in the area, normally avalanches do not affect the ski resort or transportation corridors.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=229187

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 3:12 AM

Mother Nature hates Vancouver 2010

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 4:07 AM
Vancouver User

The events went off without a hitch today and Canada brought home three silver medals!

One in sitting 10km cross country for Colette Bourgonje.

Two in slalom. Women's visually impaired for Viviane Forest & men's sit ski for Josh Dueck!

Go Canada! And everyone else... so rad! Go check it out. For $10-15 you really can't find a higher inspiration per dollar opportunity out there!!!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 4:43 AM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
I think they had a very tiny refrigerated cocktail lounge at Granville Island (?) that featured vodka (??) and all the furniture etc was made of ice (???). I remember watching something about that on TV...
There's a minus 5 ice lounge behind Monk's Grill in Whistler... held over for the Paralympics! http://www.minus5experience.com/

Looks like they had one in Vancouver too...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion