HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
Any rumors of a 1000ft tower going up over the parking garage?
none that I am aware of. Not sure the structure could handle it anyway and would be pretty compact to the current design. Maybe one day closer to 30th street station but just can't imagine how this could even logistically fit.

The Gallery structure was built to hold larger towers (believe two)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:54 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I am loving on those pics! The city looks fantastic from those angles with the new buildings. SJPhillyBoy, thanks for updating your post on page 1 of the thread.

Regarding CITC, I say we start a new construction thread when construction actually starts.

TheWatutsi, can you please not start any new building threads? On this thread and the CITC thread, you've abandoned the idea of upkeep as the first poster of the thread. You seem like a decent person and all, but how about you let someone who is more engaged with this website start them?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:52 PM

Drilling has commenced!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:20 PM

Wow this construction site is on meth? (Not really.) There fast.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:50 PM

^ I bet that with the recently announced split/expansion of FMC into two independent companies--both to be headquartered in this building--there's pressure to get this completed as soon as possible. Not to mention that Penn needs ITS space in this building relatively soon to allow for its planned expansion and repurposing of on-campus space for core academic and research functions.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:47 PM

More photos from my lunch break. The entire site is now one large construction zone!

They are erecting steel on top of the garage.

.....and they've been drilling all day!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:45 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Nice!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:10 PM

Our own minature Hudson yards project. LoL Just really nice to see a project this scale get off the ground in Philly. Just a sign of what will continue to happen this spring.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:25 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post

TheWatutsi, can you please not start any new building threads? On this thread and the CITC thread, you've abandoned the idea of upkeep as the first poster of the thread. You seem like a decent person and all, but how about you let someone who is more engaged with this website start them?
You or anyone else can PM either myself or any moderator if you have a request for something to be updated.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:45 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Just checked Brandywine's website, and Fmc tower is nearly leased out. Only 24k sq ft left out of the available 400k sq ft. One reason why this project is ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:56 PM

Does anyone have an update on this? Are they still moving dirt around and drilling holes?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Does anyone have an update on this? Are they still moving dirt around and drilling holes?
They drilled two holes and moved some dirt around. They put something in one of the holes, and for the past week nothing since then except a staging area for the parking garage. I assume once the steel is up for the parking garage there will be more movement on this site.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
They drilled two holes and moved some dirt around. They put something in one of the holes, and for the past week nothing since then except a staging area for the parking garage. I assume once the steel is up for the parking garage there will be more movement on this site.
So they didn't place any rebar or pour concrete in the holes? Is it possible that this was just something related to the garage extension, and not part of the FMC construction?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So they didn't place any rebar or pour concrete in the holes? Is it possible that this was just something related to the garage extension, and not part of the FMC construction?
It's pretty far away from the garage, about the middle of the lot closer to Walnut. Doubt it has something to do with the garage. Either way construction is supposed to start in May.

No rebar or concrete quite yet however.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
It's pretty far away from the garage, about the middle of the lot closer to Walnut. Doubt it has something to do with the garage. Either way construction is supposed to start in May.

No rebar or concrete quite yet however.
Unless it has something to do with supporting the crane for the garage project, but that's something you probably would have noticed or figured out (I have a lot of confidence in you, son ).

Maybe test borings? We might have to send you down there in the middle of the night to do a little digging.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:07 PM

I walk past this site daily but I am not sure what they are doing. My guess would be some type of survey but who knows. They drilled the hole and while drilling they assembled a steel rectangular structure and affixed what looked like electrical wires down each side. When the hole was complete, they put this into the hole and filled it with concrete. The whole thing was covered for some time but today it was not covered and you can see the steel whatever-it-is sticking up. I will try to snap a picture tonight.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:32 PM

Someone obviously needs to call over to his contacts at Brandywine and make some discrete inquiries.

summers? . . . . . . . . summers? . . . . . . . . summers? . . . . . . . .

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Someone obviously needs to call over to his contacts at Brandywine and make some discrete inquiries.

summers? . . . . . . . . summers? . . . . . . . . summers? . . . . . . . .
Bahaha. Unfortunately my contact is at Liberty Property Trust, not Brandywine Realty

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
I walk past this site daily but I am not sure what they are doing. My guess would be some type of survey but who knows. They drilled the hole and while drilling they assembled a steel rectangular structure and affixed what looked like electrical wires down each side. When the hole was complete, they put this into the hole and filled it with concrete. The whole thing was covered for some time but today it was not covered and you can see the steel whatever-it-is sticking up. I will try to snap a picture tonight.
Yep, I saw the little steel thingymabobdoohicky too. No idea what it is. I assume it is what Phillyfan said and it was test boring.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Yep, I saw the little steel thingymabobdoohicky too. No idea what it is. I assume it is what Phillyfan said and it was test boring.
Or maybe it's some kind of seismometer or similar device? Related to nano-scale research or engineering or some other activity to be pursued by FMC? To determine if they need some kind of damping system to isolate the building from vibrations?

I don't know.

But I'm running out of ideas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive