HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I never said it was Charlotte's primary selling point. I just said it's a bad selling point.
That completely baffles me, but okay. Even before moving to the Bos-Wash corridor (metro Philly then the DMV) I saw the value in that but even more so now. It's an advantage for Philly in particular being more in the middle of the corridor, and no one in their right mind would say that Philly is "seriously lacking in its own selling points."

Quote:
I never said Charlotte is worthless. I just said it's plain.
You said it was the dullest and most mediocre city in the entire country. From your point of view, I don't see how that's not essentially saying it's worthless. I don't think you've said one positive thing about the city in this entire thread, and that's fine; you have a right to your opinion. Nothing wrong with owning it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:06 PM
Never Dell

Dull places can have value. It's a separate topic.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Dull places can have value. It's a separate topic.
But THE dullest and MOST mediocre place? Sounds like a difficult argument to make to me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:19 PM
Never Dell

A lot of people choose to live where they can get the most house for the money, can drive easily, have a decent airport, found a job, and can avoid taxes. They say things like "it's about your circle of friends and family, not the city" and "if you're bored it's you, not where you are." The country is full of dull places that grow.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
A lot of people choose to live where they can get the most house for the money, can drive easily, have a decent airport, found a job, and can avoid taxes. They say things like "it's about your circle of friends and family, not the city" and "if you're bored it's you, not where you are." The country is full of dull places that grow.
I'm confused; are you trying to make an argument of some sort here relative to the point about worthlessness? If so, I can't tell which side you're on.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:09 PM
Never Dell

I'm saying dullness is a different topic than worthlessness.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I'm saying dullness is a different topic than worthlessness.
In a strictly technical sense, sure. But the references to dullness and mediocrity (in superlative terms no less) weren't made in a vacuum. It's not a stretch to reach the conclusion I did when you consider the discussion as a whole.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:51 PM
Red October standing by

there'll be a boom in bathroom genital checker jobs. and contracting jobs to prevent toilet stall toe tapping.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 4:15 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I've never been to Charlotte but based on my impression, I'd say it's probably a decent place to live but not really a city in the sense that city people mean. It's basically Schaumburg.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 11:15 PM

^ Err, no, it is not anything similar to Schaumburg, and it is a city in a typical sense, similar to Indianapolis. Of course it is not a traditionally urban city like Chicago or St. Louis.

While there are few older commercial districts, there are older craftsman/bungalow residential areas, with a number of newer mixed-use developments.

Also, there is demand for urban in Charlotte, even if developers aren't delivering (like everywhere these days). There's probably more high-rise residential going up in Charlotte than anywhere in the midwest outside Chicago, and maybe the twin cities.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions