HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I saw this on ebay this morning.

"1930 Press Photo Los Angeles Fire Dept. Educational Fire Prevention Campaign."

EBAY

This little shack (intentionally lit on fire no doubt) appears to be somewhat near one of the gas-o-meters downtown.
I'm curious about the flue-like pipe sticking directly out of the ground on the left. What is it?
Oh, and the white suits the two firemen are wearing coming out of the burning shack...read below to find out what they're made out of.

Here's the info:

pretend victim - Miss Mildred Jackson

__
That tall pipe at the left appears to be a sewer vent.....imo.

There are several in back of my house....along the sewer line.

Old Posted Today, 6:10 AM

Work pics

A few weeks ago, i discovered my favorite house near my office got knocked down. I had been working from home the day it happened, but who ever did it, did it quick. I posted about the house a few months ago. It was built in the late 1890's and survived the 101.

Another view

I tried to find a picture of it on my phone, but this last one is the only thing i found. The local fire station did some training.

On a happier note, I had an elks club luncheon the same day i found out about the house. I was super close to the Glendale Station and took some pics.

It's a real gem. Once the meeting was over i had to head back to the office,and then go out to Watts for a meeting with a city rep, but on the way out there i noticed this mid-riser being torn down.. thought i'd share.

Made it out to Watts around 4pm and had a meeting with the city rep in the old Police/ Fire Station/ Library. All the original wood floors we're restored which surprised me. I found out that the city was giving the community center X amount of dollars to rent a building when this was vacant, so the community center led a grass roots thing to help turn this into a community center..and guess what... with all cost, it was cheaper than what they we're paying in rent in the first place.

L.A. good or bad, has so much history being preserved, but we can always hope for more.

Old Posted Today, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
A few weeks ago, i discovered my favorite house near my office got knocked down. I had been working from home the day it happened, but who ever did it, did it quick. I posted about the house a few months ago. It was built in the late 1890's and survived the 101.

Another view

It's a shame to see such a lovely old building get destroyed. Isn't there any better alternative for a 120 year old building than to be demolished?

Here's the house in happier times (Google Maps) - it was easy for me to find it, what with Queen of Angels hospital (aka, “Dream Center”) so clearly visible in the background of your photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
On a happier note, I had an elks club luncheon the same day i found out about the house. I was super close to the Glendale Station and took some pics.

It's a real gem.
It sure is a gem.

The Glendale Station is often (and incorrectly) claimed to be the station from the classic noir film, Double Indemnity. The scene was actually filmed at a station in Burbank (with a phony “Glendale” sign tacked on), which you can read about here.

(Photo courtesy of SilentLocations.wordpress.com)

The Glendale Station, was, however featured in many other films, such as Buster Keaton’s College (1927), and Van Helfin’s Act of Violence (1948), both seen below:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos