HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:51 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Hypothetical question here; but if at some point they consider re-integrating the quad-spires to the tower, can they at this point?

It would be similar to when they finished Chrysler...almost...

From Wikipedia's ChryslerBuilding entry:

Quote:
Prior to its completion, the building stood about even with a rival project at 40 Wall Street, designed by H. Craig Severance. Severance increased the height of his project and then publicly claimed the title of the world's tallest building (this distinction excluded structures that were not fully habitable, such as the Eiffel Tower). In response, Van Alen obtained permission for a 38-meter (125 ft) long spire and had it secretly constructed inside the frame of the building. The spire was delivered to the site in four different sections. On October 23, 1929, the bottom section of the spire was hoisted to the top of the building's dome and lowered into the 66th floor of the building. The other remaining sections of the spire were hoisted and riveted to the first one in sequential order in just 90 minutes.
If they decide to revert to LNF's 200G design, it would make the most sense...to me, of course.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Amazing that a tower of that size and height can appear dwarfed in some of those shots.

Puts things into perspective. I like that it remains distinctive among the Downtown towers. And I think this tower will look even nicer with 45 Broad on the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Hypothetical question here; but if at some point they consider re-integrating the quad-spires to the tower, can they at this point?

I don't think Silverstein Properties would even bother. The building is nearing completion, tenants will be taking space. There's no need for them to do so.
If anything needs to be fixed, it's that giant spire on it's taller sibling. But they won't bother with that either.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 3:33 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Indeed, they obviously won't; but my inner aesthetic nerd-muse-earwig told me in my earlier post to somehow make the point thus:

If you're going to have four of one thing, have four of another: 175G's woulda/coulda/shoulda spires alongside 200G's four diamond motif.

But it's a moot point, the reasons being threefold:

A. Reality (To wit: your point(s) above)
B. Assuming the Foster design passes, only the people in Jersey would see the intended visual continuum
and
C. It's just as well if Bjarke's version pans out anyhow.

::Ramble mode off::

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:50 AM

The tower is looking fine from that angle. The cross bracing is pretty impressive.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
@Aquablue;

Certainly there will have to come a point in the City's development--and for all I know is entirely possible now given the (inevitably) necessary amendments to current zoning regs--wherein the freedom to build in any form permissible by current engineering standards can, within a prefectly square parcel of porperty, be the norm.

If NY's bragging to be the premier alpha city in the world is to truly hold water, IMO more cutting-edge international architectural styles and tends will have to be accepted. And even further down the road, hybridizations of those styles can evolve...sort of an architectural extrapolation from the multicultural melting pot concept.

This whole complex, in a "prefect world" such as mine and (dare I assume) yours, would have met those standards and then some. This tremendous city is blessed with the pull to attract architects of great distinction and creative ability who can work with the antiquated, redundant constraints foisted on them and pull some kwazy wabbits out of their hats.

2¢ plus tax.
Agreed. If NY wants to remain up there with the top few cities in the world in the coming century, it will have to keep up in architecture and that means loosening stifling restrictions.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Agreed. If NY wants to remain up there with the top few cities in the world in the coming century, it will have to keep up in architecture and that means loosening stifling restrictions.
New York being New York is what keeps it what it is today. People complain about this building losing the top spires, but it's not the City that did that.

andrew felix

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 4:58 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Those last two shots are amazing. Am I right that you can see Tower Verre peeking up in the background in that last shot, just to the left of 1 WTC?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:57 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

You don't necessarily need a spire for your anchor tower; but a flat roof won't suffice no matter what.
Between 1930 and 1973-ish such an idea wan't even given a second thought. I think it was 432P that rather muddied the waters in a good way retrospectively, since that was the one that forever broke the dual-peaked image of the cityscape.
With everything underway, the ones waiting to go, and who knows what else on the West Side, UES, NoMad/5th Avenue, South Street, Brooklyn, LIC............., I think it's a safe guess that the days of the burgeoning Manhattan skyline having a single dominant peak at all are over.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

^ This building is too close to the Freedom Tower for the "flat roof"
to be an issue. It will be at best 4th or 5th tallest on the Downtown skyline. Let's hope 80 South isn't a flat roofed tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Those last two shots are amazing. Am I right that you can see Tower Verre peeking up in the background in that last shot, just to the left of 1 WTC?
You are correct. It will riser a little higher than One57, also visible.

Shawn Smith

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 12:33 AM

Rogers really knows how to do a neo-industrial building. This is a building that conveys the "factory of the future" theme well.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:04 AM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 12:24 PM

I believe it fits much better with the rest of the complex without the cross-bracing in the center, and the spires. Well done.

People seem to forget this is a complex not some random grouping of individual buildings.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:57 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

@Jayden;

With certain contingencies in play already belabored ad nauseam, the spires would make something of a difference.

As for your other observation:

Most folks who take skyscrapers for granted (i.e. decidedly not us) don't see it thataway.

Audacity be hanged; but I dare say that we here think context is an ontological imperative...IOW, "It is what it is; but we'll tell you what is "what", what "is" is and, in both instances, why."

More simply (sanely) stated, we can extrapolate fom, say a proposal or unfinished project depicted in the abstract (isolation), how it will blend with its planned surroundings.

The rest of 'em will simply go, "Oh, look. A skyscraper."

I hope this contributes to the dialogue.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 29, 2017 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 11:20 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:44 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Sunlight is a beautiful thing....

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:44 PM

Am I the only one that thinks 4 WTC looks better than 175 Greenwich?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks 4 WTC looks better than 175 Greenwich?
They both compliment each other well. They are a pair and they play off each other. One isn't necessarily better than the other.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 2, 2017 at 7:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:59 PM

Credit: Michael Young

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive