HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 6:01 PM

Simplicity is filling an important gap in this regional forum ever since newflyer went away

For what it's worth, I feel as though I've learned something by reading his (I presume it's a he?) posts, and I appreciate their interesting content... but one can deliver well-founded doom and gloom while maintaining at least a minimal level of courtesy and decorum.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 6:17 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
As do you, but I don't bring it up because I assume you're a kid.
That's fine, 'cuz I assumed you were old. I guess the truth, as always, falls in the middle.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 8:35 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; May 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 8:37 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; May 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 8:46 PM

Downtown trending up
Report breeds optimism, but there's still work to be done ( I aknowledge this sentence as accurate)
By: Murray McNeill
Posted: Febuary/27/2014 << Note: Date 2.5 months ago!!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...247446921.html

There is much information compiled in this article if you have not read it when published. It seems like forward movement in the viability and resurgence of Down Town Winnipeg but also shows much work needs to be done.( I'm being optimistic but a realist as well)

Is this article much too positive for the liking of some posters? Glass Half full/Half Empty?
Is this boosterism? You tell me. I find it a positive step forward.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Simplicity username is quite apt. Simplistic arguments for someone who only see things in monetary figures and draws all their conclusions from basic data. Can you elaborate on the correlation between good urban design/city building and low unemployment/high GDP that you are constantly going off about? I'm interested in hearing how lower unemployment figures from the govt or higher housing starts from the CMHC is going to change outdated zoning bylaws...

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:30 PM

I created the Economics thread for essentially 2 reasons.
Firstly their was a need for keeping this line of discussion in one thread, as it had spread through the forum like a virus, sometimes very educational and informative to those with a particular interest in this line of discussion and Economics in general, but turning eventually into chaos and mayhem in many threads that had nothing to do with the topic at hand. - Simply Necessary, as it was never addressed in any other means.

Secondly, It is obviously well suited to a construction and development based forum.

Non related although important. I truly respect posters who would like to solve these issues and take the time to explain their perspective on a problem, offering possible solutions and actions they would take to remedy a situation. This is sometimes much more important than than all the knowledge one posses, but in the way they present their information and perspective to others, as the old adage goes "Respect for a person is earned, not handed out or given in a piece meal fashion", ( I edited the old adage)

Last edited by Cyro; May 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM

This is a thread created to discuss the feasability, costs and economics of development and projects in Winnipeg. We covered this some time ago?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 1:49 PM

I found a great article that perfectly fits with this thread
Fixation with constant suburban growth slammed
New approach sought in climate-change era

A coalition of neighbourhood groups says Winnipeg has to abandon its "growth-at-all-costs" mentality to deal with the unexpected forces brought by climate change.

Transition Winnipeg says the conditions that led to the frozen-pipes crisis from the brutally cold winter signals Winnipeg needs to alter its fixation with constant suburban growth.

James Magnus-Johnston, spokesman for Transition Winnipeg, says Manitoba's capital city needs to reconsider how it manages growth and its development priorities.

"This doesn't mean that we don't want to have businesses thrive and good livelihoods," Magnus-Johnston said. "The public may not be sold on the concept of climate change, but it doesn't matter because we'll still be stuck with the costs at the end of the day."

Transition Winnipeg is formally releasing its first report, Winnipeg's Great Transition -- Ideas and Actions for a Climate-Resilient, Low-Carbon City, this morning at Mountain Equipment Co-Op's third floor public meeting space. It's a slick, professional document outlining alternative growth strategies Winnipeg can consider.

The group has invited several mayoral candidates to this morning's event, hoping to find out how they envision Winnipeg coping with climate change.
"With the end of cheap oil and with climate change presenting challenges for the road ahead, how can we improve our level of well-being as we transition towards a low-carbon, resilient future," the report asks.

The report contains sections on energy, food, transportation, urban planning, economy, community and society. It envisions city hall putting a break on the proposed series of subdivisions planned for vacant land on Winnipeg's periphery linked by a crumbling road network. Instead, it envisions the city's future consisting of a network of pedestrian-friendly neighbourhoods organized around a rapid- transit hub, a local shopping place and education facilities; high density housing and public spaces powered by a combination of solar, geothermal and biomass sources.

What the report is proposing isn't new or new to Winnipeg:
During the height of the frozen-pipes crisis, St. Boniface Coun. Dan Vandal called on the city to revise its long-range planning to anticipate similar situations brought by climate- change forces.
A civic committee recently adopted a development strategy for growth along Winnipeg's waterways that is striking similar to Transition Winnipeg's neighbourhood strategy.

An administrative report concluded development fees are not paying the full cost of services required by new suburbs.
"We're pretty good at planning for one or two years at a time but we're pretty poor looking 10, 20 years down the road," Magnus-Johnston said.

Transition Winnipeg is a fledgling coalition, with member groups based in South Osborne, north Winnipeg, St. Boniface and West Broadway.

Magnus-Johnston has a master's degree in economics from Cambridge University and is the Canadian director for the Washington-based think-tank Centre For Advancement of the Steady State Economy. He is one of the lead authors of today's report .

Magnus-Johnston links constant suburban growth with unsustainable sprawl and a growth strategy that is susceptible to damage brought by climate
change.

"How can we move away from the one-trick pony of growth-all-the-time-at-all-costs or else we can't manage our infrastructure," Magnus-Johnston said. "Let's try to start thinking outside the box so we don't have to borrow from the future to pay for our infrastructure."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...268836571.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 7:30 PM

A few positive outlooks for the province in 2015-16

Manitoba an Economic Leader in Canada in 2015 and 2016
Quote:
Highlights
The construction industry is forecast to grow by almost 10 per cent annually over the next two years.
The manufacturing sector will benefit from the strengthening U.S. economy and the lower Canadian dollar, which, in turn, will support growth in the transportation and warehousing industries.
In 2016, the Manitoba economy is expected to grow by a nation-leading 3 per cent.

Con't >> http://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/..._and_2016.aspx

Construction industry to power Manitoba's growth: report

Manitoba is literally building towards a brighter economic future, claims a national report released this morning.

According to the Conference Board of Canada, a booming construction industry will help push Manitoba to be among the growth leaders among the Canadian provinces this year and next. Per the Provincial Outlook-Winter 2015 report, Manitoba’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is expected to rise to 2.9 per cent in 2015 and 3.0 per cent in 2016 -- well above the national growth projection.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...293664551.html

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Province to be a leader in economic growth: BMO

"Manitoba’s modest direct exposure to the oil industry has influenced analysts at the Bank of Montreal (BMO) to forecast that economic growth in this province will be among the leaders in the country.

As has been the case with other forecasts, after posting very modest 1.1 per cent growth in 2014, BMO is projecting 2.3 per cent growth in 2015, third best in the country and much stronger than the national rate of 1.8 per cent growth expected this year..."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-2
Had to borrow your update for this thread. Seems like an upcoming positive growth cycle, coupled with the above post(s) from the Conference Board of Canada.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:54 PM

I am not what Paul Krugman would refer to as a "deficit scold", but I am troubled by the current Manitoba fiscal situation.

If you lean towards Keynsian theory, as I do, deficits are appropriate during low demand periods in the business cycle. The flip side though, is that you should run a surplus when times are good. Politicians often ignore the flip side, preferring to buy votes with tax cuts/rebates etc. when the business cycle corrects. Then they settle for a balanced budget rather than a surplus, and people seem happy. This problem is even more acute, it seems to me, for a provincial government, which can't rely on monetary policy levers to mitigate the impact of debt. Selinger is an economist and knows all this but is still buying growth when he probably doesn't need to.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:18 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I am not what Paul Krugman would refer to as a "deficit scold", but I am troubled by the current Manitoba fiscal situation.

If you lean towards Keynsian theory, as I do, deficits are appropriate during low demand periods in the business cycle. The flip side though, is that you should run a surplus when times are good. Politicians often ignore the flip side, preferring to buy votes with tax cuts/rebates etc. when the business cycle corrects. Then they settle for a balanced budget rather than a surplus, and people seem happy. This problem is even more acute, it seems to me, for a provincial government, which can't rely on monetary policy levers to mitigate the impact of debt. Selinger is an economist and knows all this but is still buying growth when he probably doesn't need to.
Have you read any of Jane Jacob's stuff on the economy of cities? While I love the death and life, I think this book has much more applicable and poignant information. I've also really liked Nassim Taleb's work, Fooled by Randomness, Black Swan, and Antifragle.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Have you read any of Jane Jacob's stuff on the economy of cities? While I love the death and life, I think this book has much more applicable and poignant information. I've also really liked Nassim Taleb's work, Fooled by Randomness, Black Swan, and Antifragle.
Taleb and Jacobs are two rock stars of contemporary intellectual life. of course they too, like all others, have their blind spots.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:06 PM

Interesting that Winnipeg and Regina have been labelled high risk. Certainly won't help those downtown condo developers make bank.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/regi...says-1.3055471

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It is because single family homes make so much more sense than condos here. Tdot and Van not so much.

Buying a condo here seems to be a terrible investment.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It is because single family homes make so much more sense than condos here. Tdot and Van not so much.

Buying a condo here seems to be a terrible investment.
Maybe new condos are a bad investment, but older stock has done quite well over the last 10-12 years.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post

Thanks for bringing this up. I lean towards the Austrian school but this is ground where everyone should agree. Canada's weathering of the '08 financial crisis had as much to do with the Liberals' fiscal restraint during the preceding boom years as it did with Harper being some kind of brilliant economic shepherd. Under Doer Manitoba managed to bumble out some vague surpluses and was never really at risk, leaving Manitobans blissfully unaware of how useless Selinger was in 2011. When the next downturn comes, this province is set for a hurting.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe new condos are a bad investment, but older stock has done quite well over the last 10-12 years.

Before condos caught on in Winnipeg they were ridiculously undervalued. back in 2006 I'd regularly see condos for 30-65 thousand. If I'd been looking to buy a place instead of rent the cheapest shit hole I could find, I'd be a fantastically wealthy man.

Now if you want a bad investment, buy a Qualico house. Cheap pieces of crap that'll fall apart faster than you can kick your kids out.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Now if you want a bad investment, buy a Qualico house. Cheap pieces of crap that'll fall apart faster than you can kick your kids out.
Yeah, some of those suburban development houses that went up in the short-lived housing frenzy of the mid-late 00s, I'm guessing there was some shoddy workmanship that will rear its head in a few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan