HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Province looks at scrapping James North portion of Hamilton LRT
Ontario could announce 'alternatives' to the spur line in a couple of weeks

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...-lrt-1.3931858

The province is looking at scrapping the James Street North A-line portion of Hamilton's light rail transit (LRT) system for a more cost-effective alternative, CBC News has learned.

Current plans have the $1 billion system running alternately down Main and King streets from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle. Metrolinx also planned a spur line from King Street East to along James Street to the West Harbour GO station — or the waterfront, budget permitting.

When asked Wednesday about the James North spur, Mayor Fred Eisenberger confirmed it is being reconsidered. He told CBC Hamilton he's expecting the province to come forward with alternatives "in the next couple of weeks."

"They're looking at it and there may be some alternatives that come forward," Eisenberger said.

He wouldn't elaborate on what those alternatives are, such as extending rapid transit to the Mountain, meeting cost increases elsewhere along the line or following the original plan of LRT running to Eastgate Square.

"I don't want to prejudge what's coming down the pipe," he said.

"I would expect there's been a reassessment of the value of the spur, and they're looking at alternatives that would have more value in terms of the money we have in place."

The A-line was a relative surprise in the province's 2015 announcement to pay for LRT anyway.

The spur line, said Premier Kathleen Wynne, was meant to connect LRT to the West Harbour GO station. The goal, she said, is regional connectivity.

But LRT already passes close to the Hunter Street GO station. And plans include a pedestrian boulevard along Hughson Street to get there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:25 PM

Article in the bay area observer today with former owners of black forest inn saying they sold because of the looming lrt and in their opinion 75% of business will close up shop during contruction

I really hope the new owners keep this place open. One of my favourite places to eat!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

James North LRT would be killed for airport express bus in new plan

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...s-in-new-plan/

Hamilton's $1 billion LRT project may be getting a game-changing shakeup.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger says Metrolinx is considering killing the 2-km James Street North spur line for an alternative that has "greater value and cost efficiency."

"I don't know what and when the province is going to announce anything on this but I do know it's been a topic of conversation."

Multiple sources, however, say the proposal is to replace the James North spur with an express bus service from the waterfront to the airport on James and Upper James — essentially building the full A-line route that's part of the city-wide BLAST express bus service.

Source says an announcement, originally planned for Monday, is now expected to take place in a couple of weeks.

The proposal would not affect the 11-km east-west LRT route from McMaster to the Queenston traffic circle.

Eisenberger says the James spur was an "add on" to the $1 billion provincial funding announcement that had never undergone a cost-benefit analysis.

"I assume that Metrolinx has done it now and I'm pretty confident it shows that it's not the most viable business case analysis evaluation … for an LRT on James."

If the spur is replaced with express buses from the waterfront to the airport, Eisenberger thinks it probably would provide a better bang for the buck in terms of enhancing public transportation.

West Mountain Coun. Terry Whitehead is greeting the proposed change with a mix of enthusiasm and caution.

"From my perspective, it's great news. But if we were given a choice, I would have a tough time taking that over getting (LRT) out to Eastgate," as originally proposed.

Whitehead has argued the necessity of linking the LRT system with other areas of the city, but he also believes light rail would drive more ridership if it went all the way to Eastgate Mall.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

This is good, we're basically getting a 2 for 1 deal. Getting LRT for B-Line and full BRT for A-Line.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:40 PM

Well I feel vindicated after arguing here against the stupidity of the spur. It seemed like city staff and politicians were afraid to say anything about the Emperor's new clothes.

Widening Main and York is ridiculous. There's always something.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Well I feel vindicated after arguing here against the stupidity of the spur. It seemed like city staff and politicians were afraid to say anything about the Emperor's new clothes.

Widening Main and York is ridiculous. There's always something.
glad we aren't ripping up James st.

that street has too much good momentum going for it. wouldn't want to see art crawl, supercrawl and all the new restaurants affected by lrt construction.

A line BRT to the airport is the better option IMO. still wish we had the extention to eastgate. hopefully that money comes sooner rather than later

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:01 PM

"York, Main must be widened"? What the? Main Street West? How can it be wider than it is?

This is a real gem: "We realized there's a need for more capacity for cars." What exactly is the purpose of LRT if not to reduce the need for more capacity for cars?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:51 PM

They are so close to getting it right - the LRT line should be L-shaped running east along Main from McMaster to downtown, then south up the Claremont/West 5th to Mohawk College via West 5th, jog back to Upper James via Fennell to continue south to the airport. Complement it with a mirror image L-shaped express bus route running west from Centennial to downtown, then north at Bay to the West Harbour GO and waterfront.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
glad we aren't ripping up James st.

that street has too much good momentum going for it. wouldn't want to see art crawl, supercrawl and all the new restaurants affected by lrt construction.

A line BRT to the airport is the better option IMO. still wish we had the extention to eastgate. hopefully that money comes sooner rather than later
I'm glad they aren't wasting money on the mixed traffic spur line but something rubs me the wrong way the way we want to tiptoe around the art crawl and the new stores on James. Aren't they young urban types in favour of LRT? Why should it be foisted on decades old King Street businesses but not the new ones? If it's so beneficial shouldn't we just put the LRT where the LRT needs to go and all suffer through the construction together?

I'm in favour of full separated LRT on King as originally planned before anything else. The A-Line is the next priority but have you ever been on the A-Line bus to the airport? It's 3 people on an articulated bus. I can't believe they want to prioritize spending more money on that.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:03 PM

I agree, not enough people would be going to the airport. Would be better off using that money to go all the way to Eastgate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I agree, not enough people would be going to the airport. Would be better off using that money to go all the way to Eastgate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
You never know, the province is secretly planning to expand the airport, and discontinue the pickering airport..

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:45 PM

I made a couple maps outlining the old and new plans...

Old plan:

Google Maps

New Plan:

Google Maps

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:00 PM

Once the pickering airport gets axed by the province, you know what that means..

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:48 PM

Makes total sense.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg2016 View Post
Once the pickering airport gets axed by the province, you know what that means..
Airports are actually under federal jurisdiction. But if Ottawa kills Pickering, I could see Hamilton being a likely target for expansion.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:24 AM

^Oh God, not again...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I'm glad they aren't wasting money on the mixed traffic spur line but something rubs me the wrong way the way we want to tiptoe around the art crawl and the new stores on James. Aren't they young urban types in favour of LRT? Why should it be foisted on decades old King Street businesses but not the new ones? If it's so beneficial shouldn't we just put the LRT where the LRT needs to go and all suffer through the construction together?

I'm in favour of full separated LRT on King as originally planned before anything else. The A-Line is the next priority but have you ever been on the A-Line bus to the airport? It's 3 people on an articulated bus. I can't believe they want to prioritize spending more money on that.
I agree with all this, but the James Street spur was silly for reasons unrelated to temporarily disrupting art crawl and the improvements. I would consider that terrible logic, and it would rub me the wrong way too.

During construction, you can expect angry quotes in the Spectator from all types of business owner, including the "hip" ones.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:42 PM

The spur was only going to be 10 blocks(walking distance for anyone in even reasonable shape) and the expense was going to be really high vs the amount of people riding it. The fact that James has a lot happening on it was secondary. If it were part of a bigger plan to go from Burlington to the airport it would have made more sense but even then only the South part would have really got any real use.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
They are so close to getting it right - the LRT line should be L-shaped running east along Main from McMaster to downtown, then south up the Claremont/West 5th to Mohawk College via West 5th, jog back to Upper James via Fennell to continue south to the airport.
Interesting hypothetical. One hitch (aside from the 20km LRT route): The rapid transit ridership case relies on the ability to capture demonstrable ridership along a corridor with multiple interlined routes — in part by replacing one of the highest-ridership routes on that corridor with LRT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure